Depression diagnosis---would it backfire?

JustGettingBy

I've been feeling down a lot recently and started reading more about depression. Turns out its possible I may have simply been depressed for most of my life (starting in middle school). I think I just didn't noticed due to it being the status quo for me, as I've had suicidal thoughts almost daily ever since then (please note I said thoughts, I've never actually attempted suicide and have no actual suicide intent).

I'm already diagnosed with aspergers (getting disability benefits) and a diagnosis would probably also mandate time away from my part-time job (one of the few things that gives me a sense of accomplishment, despite the fact before a shift I really don't want to go). It would likely pause my current job search (getting interviews for places that pay 60k+, and just got both a resume make over and interview training), so it would likely slow down my career growth.

Due to all of this, a depression diagnosis might actually make my depression and quality of life worse if I get it, and that's before all the medication. Additionally, if I am simply misreading my own situation and find out I don't have depression, it'll frustrate me more, and I'll be at a complete loss of how to feel about the emotions that have been dominating the majority of my life.

However, getting a diagnosis might open the doors needed to get the proper treatment that could fix the emotions that have been holding me back for so long. Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Depression and ASD frequently go hand in hand.

Why do you feel that a dx of depression would mean time off work, pause your job search or slow your career? I've been on meds for years and all changes have been for the positive.

• Author
JustGettingBy
you need to see a good psychiatrist who specializes in this area

Yeah, this isn't something I was going to skimp on. If anyone knows any sites where I can find one, that would be appreciated.

Depression and ASD frequently go hand in hand.

Why do you feel that a dx of depression would mean time off work, pause your job search or slow your career? I've been on meds for years and all changes have been for the positive.

I've known a few people who have been on anti-depressants, most of them have been told to take medical leave from work.

I've known a few people who have been on anti-depressants, most of them have been told to take medical leave from work.

That has certainly not been my experience. Several of my friends have taken antidepressants at various times, none have taken any time away from work. I also live in Canada.

Perhaps it depends on an individuals ability to function while coping with the depression? One of my coworkers has been on a recent medical leave, they have been trying different medications but she is away from work because she is not well enough to be at work. Starting a new medication should not require the need to take significant time away from work.

There is no reason to think that a diagnosis or new medication will stall your progress as it relates to your work or your participation in life. As the docs tell the families at my work, a diagnosis is just a “new” word to describe something you already know... it doesn’t change the person you are, the things that are good in your life, or the things that you are working to better.

Best wishes.

Edited by BaileyB
  • Like 2
ExpatInItaly
Yeah, this isn't something I was going to skimp on. If anyone knows any sites where I can find one, that would be appreciated.

Are you hoping to have online counseling only?

It would be best to find one in your area you can visit in-person and get a comprehensive course of treatment and therapy. I see you're in Canada (I'm Canadian also) so you could try asking your family doctor for a referral to a local practitioner.

If the PT job is a source of pride, do not give it up. A diagnosis won't change much if you are already getting disability benefits. If you needed another diagnosis to get the disability I might change my mind about getting it.

Stop trying to self diagnose. When you do that, you make things worse. If you didn't go to medical school, you don't have the skills to appreciate all the nuances of what you are reading. You also may not have the skills to properly assess the authors of the books you are reading & their qualifications. That is not a crack against you; nobody without the proper medical education has these abilities. Unless you are reading medical journals or textbooks, you have to assume that what you are reading is a watered down popularized version of the medical science designed for mass market consumption not scientific accuracy.

One of the most maddening things my psychologist used to say to me is Happiness is a Choice. That pi$$ed me off every time he said it. I always fumed thinking if I could just chose to be happy, I wouldn't be on your couch paying you $100+ per hour. But you know what? He's right.

Once I got off my own couch, kept moving, took charge of my life & pride in my work again, things improved. I found my way back to Church & through religion found more inner peace then I ever enjoyed after therapy, yoga, meditation, breathing, mindfulness or medication. That was my solution. It might not be yours but you do have to find your bliss.

One of the secular things that helped me was the lay version of "count your blessings". Get a small notebook. Every morning when you wake up write 3 things for which you are grateful. They don't have to be profound. For me my morning list was: 1). I got a good night's sleep last night (I rarely sleep well so that is a treat) 2). This book I'm reading called The Be-Happy Attitudes (It's about the Sermon on the Mount & how to bring peace into your life) and 3). It's a beautiful sunny temperate morning (you know one of those perfect Spring days). At night before you go to sleep, write 3 more things that you are grateful for. Once per week read your journal. It's hard to be depressed in the face of concrete reasons to be happy.

I'm no doctor but I don't believe you can find happiness or peace in a pill. It has to come from within. If you need some talk therapy, go see a psychologist or L.C.S.W. but do not start with a psychiatrist who will only want to write you a prescription but not actually give you tools to improve your situation.

Good luck.

Edited by d0nnivain

Please take a look into holistic and naturopathic medicine. There are so many ways to heal with the right tools.

We really can’t fix emotions. All emotions are energy in motion. Breathe into your body, feel the energy, then let it pass.

Sending energy my friend.

• Author
JustGettingBy
Please take a look into holistic and naturopathic medicine. There are so many ways to heal with the right tools.

We really can’t fix emotions. All emotions are energy in motion. Breathe into your body, feel the energy, then let it pass.

Sending energy my friend.

I'm not very familiar with that, but will look into it. Certainly looking to keep my options open.

If the PT job is a source of pride, do not give it up. A diagnosis won't change much if you are already getting disability benefits. If you needed another diagnosis to get the disability I might change my mind about getting it.

Stop trying to self diagnose. When you do that, you make things worse. If you didn't go to medical school, you don't have the skills to appreciate all the nuances of what you are reading. You also may not have the skills to properly assess the authors of the books you are reading & their qualifications. That is not a crack against you; nobody without the proper medical education has these abilities. Unless you are reading medical journals or textbooks, you have to assume that what you are reading is a watered down popularized version of the medical science designed for mass market consumption not scientific accuracy.

One of the most maddening things my psychologist used to say to me is Happiness is a Choice. That pi$$ed me off every time he said it. I always fumed thinking if I could just chose to be happy, I wouldn't be on your couch paying you $100+ per hour. But you know what? He's right.

Once I got off my own couch, kept moving, took charge of my life & pride in my work again, things improved. I found my way back to Church & through religion found more inner peace then I ever enjoyed after therapy, yoga, meditation, breathing, mindfulness or medication. That was my solution. It might not be yours but you do have to find your bliss.

One of the secular things that helped me was the lay version of "count your blessings". Get a small notebook. Every morning when you wake up write 3 things for which you are grateful. They don't have to be profound. For me my morning list was: 1). I got a good night's sleep last night (I rarely sleep well so that is a treat) 2). This book I'm reading called The Be-Happy Attitudes (It's about the Sermon on the Mount & how to bring peace into your life) and 3). It's a beautiful sunny temperate morning (you know one of those perfect Spring days). At night before you go to sleep, write 3 more things that you are grateful for. Once per week read your journal. It's hard to be depressed in the face of concrete reasons to be happy.

I'm no doctor but I don't believe you can find happiness or peace in a pill. It has to come from within. If you need some talk therapy, go see a psychologist or L.C.S.W. but do not start with a psychiatrist who will only want to write you a prescription but not actually give you tools to improve your situation.

Good luck.

Wow, deep thoughts there. Glad you're open about your experiences. I've been trying to read books about the right mindset and it seems to be curbing the emotions slightly but the moment almost any minor set back can cause a spiral out of control. Thanks for the tip about seeing a psychologist first, definitely going to try to get positive thoughts in my head instead of pumping in pills.

Are you hoping to have online counseling only?

It would be best to find one in your area you can visit in-person and get a comprehensive course of treatment and therapy. I see you're in Canada (I'm Canadian also) so you could try asking your family doctor for a referral to a local practitioner.

I was planning on in-person. I was merely going to go online in order to research which individuals I should see.

That has certainly not been my experience. Several of my friends have taken antidepressants at various times, none have taken any time away from work. I also live in Canada.

Perhaps it depends on an individuals ability to function while coping with the depression? One of my coworkers has been on a recent medical leave, they have been trying different medications but she is away from work because she is not well enough to be at work. Starting a new medication should not require the need to take significant time away from work.

There is no reason to think that a diagnosis or new medication will stall your progress as it relates to your work or your participation in life. As the docs tell the families at my work, a diagnosis is just a “new” word to describe something you already know... it doesn’t change the person you are, the things that are good in your life, or the things that you are working to better.

Best wishes.

Certainly something I'll ask if I go for a diagnosis. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
JustGettingBy

Reached out to a psychologist a few weeks ago and they haven't responded. Would you recommend reaching out to another one or trying to reconnect with the same one again?

Reached out to a psychologist a few weeks ago and they haven't responded. Would you recommend reaching out to another one or trying to reconnect with the same one again?

Absolutely reach out to a different one. It's incorrigible that a doctor didn't get back to you for weeks.

lana-banana

1) Getting a formal diagnosis of depression is not going to change whether you are actually depressed. It is not going to change your life in any meaningful way, other than perhaps provide a different perspective on your problems.

2) Even if you are formally diagnosed, you may not be treated with antidepressants. They're not right for everyone. Many forms of depression can be treated with CBT or other types of talk therapy.

3) No one is going to tell you to take time off of work for antidepressants. Furthermore, most businesses are legally prohibited from asking about this, and the ones that can ask are prohibited from treating you differently because of it. It should never come up.

You need a doctor who specializes in patients on the autism spectrum disorder. Can you look for this when you make your inquiries?

...Many forms of depression can be treated with CBT or other types of talk therapy...

CBT or "Talk Therapy" doesn't work for clinical depression

major_merrick

If you DO get a diagnosis, never Never NEVER tell your employer, future employer, or anybody else. Don't even tell loose-lipped friends or family. Even though they are legally "prohibited" from discrimination, there is nothing to practically prevent them from doing so. They can just say, "We reviewed your qualifications, and have decided...."

I would avoid the whole thing unless you actually intend on taking antidepressant pills. If you want to do that, then of course you'll need a diagnosis and a prescription. But there are other steps you can take first, like exploring some alternatives such as 5-HTP, which has worked for my husband and is available over the counter. It all depends on how severe your depression is, your body chemistry, etc.

If you DO get a diagnosis, never Never NEVER tell your employer, future employer, or anybody else.

I would agree with this, once word gets out you are screwed

It becomes easier to diagnose someone as they get older, and also sometimes diagnoses change because some mental illness gets better or worse with age.

So I think it's a MUST that you go to a psychiatrist or psychologist, not just a general practitioner, and tell them you'd like to do all the testing and let them know you are chronically suicidal (chronic depression?) and just let them retest you now at this age.

It can't hurt. And if some of it is depression, it's a very good chance you can find the right meds to alleviate at least some of it. That would be great!

you want to see a psychiatrist not a psychologist, the latter cannot prescribe medications

^ That's true, however a lot of psychiatrists only take referrals from psychologists, so you go to the psychologist and then they refer you after doing what they can with testing, etc. I imagine that depends where you're at.

^ That's true, however a lot of psychiatrists only take referrals from psychologists, so you go to the psychologist and then they refer you after doing what they can with testing, etc. I imagine that depends where you're at.

unfortunately a psychologist can't really help someone who is bipolar or schizophrenic or has something similar

most of the shrinks here in the metro Detroit area take patients however they can get them, lots of competition

• Author
JustGettingBy

The second psychologist just got back to me. I have a free consultation Monday to see if she can help me. Hoping for the best.

Thanks for everyone who's been giving me support and advice.

• Like 1
The second psychologist just got back to me. I have a free consultation Monday to see if she can help me. Hoping for the best.

Thanks for everyone who's been giving me support and advice.

All the best.

• Author
JustGettingBy
All the best.

After meeting with her, I like her support (she's worked with people similar to me before, and seems to want to address the root of the issues). I'm scheduled for my first official (paid) meeting with her next week.

So, good start.

• Like 1
After meeting with her, I like her support (she's worked with people similar to me before, and seems to want to address the root of the issues). I'm scheduled for my first official (paid) meeting with her next week.

So, good start.

way to go JGB!! best of luck

• Like 1
  • Author
JustGettingBy
way to go JGB!! best of luck

Thanks. I'm hoping this resolves a lot for me.

LivingWaterPlease

JGB, I just read an article with information explaining depression is linked to inflammation in the body. Interesting. I'd known that eating sugar leads to depression. And eating sugar also is one of the things that causes inflammation.

I used to be very depressed and reading the Bible and prayer daily healed me. It took time and consistency, though.