Anyone successfully heal from tennis elbow?

CautiouslyOptimistic

I've had this for several months now and "rest" (no work on it at the gym) doesn't seem to be working. Everyday activities like reaching for the Keurig water tank to refill it, carrying groceries with that arm, lifting a trash bag, holding the dog leash, etc., still really hurt and strain it. I have not taken much ibuprofen (did today because I was really in pain) but it does help when I do. Also started wearing a brace at night because I noticed a lot of pain upon waking, I guess from how I sleep.

The pain is pretty intense, though. There's no way I'd be able to hold a baby in that arm or lift a weight :(.

I don't have health insurance and even if I did, Dr. Google tells me it probably wouldn't help much.

Anyone have any tried and true remedies for this? How long did it take to become pain-free?

ETA: It is my left elbow and I am right-handed.

This is certainly an aggravating diagnosis to have. Beyond resting, if you still haven't healed, the next treatments to consider are a thing called a counter force brace, in-network physical therapy, and in-network sports medicine providers. I'm sorry to hear you have to deal with this. Really bad ones sometimes can be healed with a steroid injection but this is in extreme cases.

Take this with a grain of salt and confirm with your local physician =) Since you don't have insurance consider experimenting with a cheap brace from Amazon.

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
Really bad ones sometimes can be healed with a steroid injection but this is in extreme cases.

Many years ago (about 17) I had great results from a steroid injection in my wrist for tendonitis (De Quervain's tenosynovitis). I am not opposed to this!

I did in my left elbow and I am left handed. I had to take several weeks off of work and do nothing. Nothing! NOTHING! I sat on the couch and watched tv. NO HOUSEWORK>>> NO DRIVING>>> it was boring but now it feels much better and I learned I can eat with my right hand. lol...

• Like 1
I've had this for several months now and "rest" (no work on it at the gym) doesn't seem to be working. Everyday activities like reaching for the Keurig water tank to refill it, carrying groceries with that arm, lifting a trash bag, holding the dog leash, etc., still really hurt and strain it. I have not taken much ibuprofen (did today because I was really in pain) but it does help when I do. Also started wearing a brace at night because I noticed a lot of pain upon waking, I guess from how I sleep.

The pain is pretty intense, though. There's no way I'd be able to hold a baby in that arm or lift a weight :(.

I don't have health insurance and even if I did, Dr. Google tells me it probably wouldn't help much.

Anyone have any tried and true remedies for this? How long did it take to become pain-free?

ETA: It is my left elbow and I am right-handed.

Hey CO,

I'm not a qualified physiotherapist, doc or personal trainer but I have worked out for about 12-15 years of my life. I've read a lot of books and experienced a lot of injury myself so I've had to do research on anatomy and biomechanics to help myself get better.

To help you understand, your tennis elbow is really a form of tendonitis as well. Tendons connect muscle to bone. For your injury, it's the tendon that's hooking your outside forearm muscles to your elbow joint that is inflamed. If you feel pain in the elbow, it's the inflamation in the tendon. The ache going down your forearm is because your nerves are carrying it through the attached forearm muscles. You basically microscopically tear your tendon which is what generates the inflamation. The tears heal but it scars over. Scar tissue isn't very flexible. It's stiff..so that tendon is prone to tearing much more easily because it doesn't bend as well. That's why your pain reoccurs over and over and over again. Everytime you use your forearm muscles to grip things, twist, lift or any kind of jerking motion..it's that tendon is being put to work being tugged at like a rubber band with a small rip, over and over again. The worst part about it is there is a low blood supply to the tendon so there's not enough aid coming into injury. Makes it a very slow heal.

Rest is okay for a few days but the secret that's going to return your arm back to form is applying specific stretching, strengthening and mobility exercises to the affected area. You're going to research different exercises particular to your injury and try them out. Some may work, some may not. Over time you will find a routine of the ones that work. Do them 3 times a day. In conjunction with that, apply heat and you can use a golf ball or a hard small rubber ball to massage the muscle fibers in the painful area. Be gentle at first and see how it feels. If you notice it's okay, apply more and more pressure each day. It's going to hurt like hell but it provides a release.

Having been to my family physician and physio myself..I can say, it's a good start and it may be helpful but it does cost a lot of money. But fortunately, your injury is so common that there is a wide variety of information out there in video format. Youtube is a great source believe it or not and it was my primary source for working out my own injuries. I had a groin tendon and shoulder tendonitis issue myself which lasted for years..but only because I didn't fully understand how to take care of it. Massaging, heat, daily exercises..will heal it

I'll come back here with some helpful links for you.

Edited by Beachead
  • Like 1

CO, check this one out. I've used her to help myself with my own injuries. It's a good start. Also I forgot to mention..if you see any visible inflammation in your arm, you have to go to the doctor. If you don't see anything, you should still go but at the same time, you can also try some of these exercises.

Mine healed up well even though l kept working right through it, no choice.

l'm a renovator or sorts and l use drills and hammers , heavy saws, where you use a fair bit of arm and elbow pressure non stop day in out.

It's been good for 6mths now though l'd expect it'll come back , l've actually got a shoulder problem in the same arm now, but eh the elbow and forearm have been great, touch wood.

l found a 1mtr long elastic sleeve you cut to the length you need.

The reason l mention this one is because l used and bought 5 or 6 others, all too tight or pressure in the wrong places , but this one gave just a firm even support, not too tight , nothing digging in anywhere.. l cut a length of about 30cm and wore it on my forearm and up over the elbow, on and off mainly at work, sometimes through the night.

Apart from that l tried to use my left arm more at work with heavy stuff or went very carefully using the power tools and since l take much more care.

Anyway , it's been great since.

l might post like yours about my shoulder though , now that's giving me grief.

Edited by chillii
  • Like 1
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
I did in my left elbow and I am left handed. I had to take several weeks off of work and do nothing. Nothing! NOTHING! I sat on the couch and watched tv. NO HOUSEWORK>>> NO DRIVING>>> it was boring but now it feels much better and I learned I can eat with my right hand. lol...

I wish I could do this!

I've been tempted to buy a sling to remind myself not to use it.

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
CO, check this one out. I've used her to help myself with my own injuries. It's a good start. Also I forgot to mention..if you see any visible inflammation in your arm, you have to go to the doctor. If you don't see anything, you should still go but at the same time, you can also try some of these exercises.

Great video, thank you! And, dog....bonus!

• Like 1

I play 4X a week but you don't specifically mention tennis. Lots of players struggle with this (usually improper stroke production) and many swear by the type of brace Garcon1986 describes, just search "tennis elbow strap" on Amazon. The trick is experimenting with different locations until you find the one bringing the most relief.

Never had tennis elbow, but don't get me started on foot problems...

Mr. Lucky