Passing Along a Smile

Hi all, I want to share a thought with you. The thought is, it’s great to smile at strangers!

I went for a walk this afternoon, while listening to a hugely upbeat, motivating song (detail below). There was an amusing work conversation on Slack. I also noticed butterflies, a dragonfly, a townsend warbler, and an egret. (The egret would be me if I was a bird, tall and skinny.) For the first time in ten years, at work, this week I ditched my baggy turtlenecks for form fitting (sizes smaller than small – yep, beanpole here!), stylish t-shirts. So yea, I was already feeling a 9/10. Creepiness be damned, I do glance at everyone passing by in their cars. I was smiling, taking huge strides and swinging my arms, and one woman found that amusing and gave me a HUGE toothy smile. It was great! My mood shot to a 10/10 and I couldn’t stop grinning. We should all smile at each other more often! :D

FYI:

Nightcore - He Still Does (Miracles) - (Lyrics)

(Yea, if I find a woman who clicks with me, it will be a miracle!)

• Like 1

I absolutely agree. Most of the time I do smile at everyone and often strike up conversations, however brief, with strangers. It's an instant mood and esteem booster for yourself and passes on that spark to the other person. I've been the recipient of that gift at times as well when I was feeling a little down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I was at a traffic light today. One car too many tried to get past, and blocked the intersection right in front of me. This woman turns to look at me, and and shrugs while giving a sheepish smile. I LOVED that! So cute! Little things like that can have a huge impact on mood. I was probably feeling a 6/10 before, and a 9/10 after.

thefooloftheyear

I think it depends on the locale...Do it here and people will think you are crazy....Other parts of the country not so much...

TFY

• 2 weeks later...
Sarah_Smiles

I find people gravitate to happy smiling, positive people... I always smile back or say hello to strangers who are standing beside me or in my eyesight, some return the favor and some look away which is fine.

Yes, it is good to smile at people. Just random people. Those who wait and only smile at women they want to pick up are skeevy. Those who are openly open and social will do better and have a better day. It's good you appreciate the little things in life, like nature. The zoo might be a great place for you to meet people. You might even consider volunteering there one day a week for a couple or three hours.