Staying on the bandwagon?

I'll be exercising, lose weight, and keep it at for 1-2 years (2 years being my longest). Then I fall off the bandwagon. Then jump back on. Repeat process.

How do you all keep at it, for life?

I know some people do it.

* They have a family; they're fit.

* They have an injury (an off period) and get back on track.

* They return to school.

* Or, they have a combination of the above, and they manage.

I got laid off.

I thought awesome, more time for exercising.

I was not finding a job quickly.

So I focused more on job hunting/researching topics.

And less on exercising.

I then got a job.

I was stressing (and anxiety).

I needed to absorb/learn many things in a short time.

(comes with territory of any new job, I think)

It's settling down now.

I've now re-gained 20lbs that I've lost, and trying to get back on track.

DrReplyInRhymes

This is where a trainer, or a workout friend, comes into play,

they often push you to meet your motivation by inducing action to stay.

Where working out may become a hassle to some, or life happens to you,

A solution is a 3rd party motivation to push you that'll keep you true!

This is where a trainer, or a workout friend, comes into play,

they often push you to meet your motivation by inducing action to stay.

Where working out may become a hassle to some, or life happens to you,

A solution is a 3rd party motivation to push you that'll keep you true!

Hehe, i love your style Dr!

It's like with anything... In order to achieve great success you need to push through the barriers. I think you should make the things you want to do, priorities. Eg, if you want to exercise but no time after work (well, you probably do!), set the alarm earlier and go before work.

bathtub-row

I’m completely convinced that the weight epidemic today is directly tied to the processed foods we eat. There was someone who posted on this site awhile back about how she only wanted her child to eat healthy foods and rattled off a list of things that weren’t even in the ballpark of healthy. People are losing site of the importance of eating real food, of how detrimental chemicals and other junk is to our bodies.

Case in point, I have never seen the abundance of overweight young people that I see now. It’s absolutely shocking. It’s very hard, generally speaking, for a young person to be overweight. Other countries that never had weight issues now have them because of the junk they’ve started eating.

Personally, I’ve decided to stop eating the processed foods because I pay a price for it — mainly I get addicted to it and it makes me feel horrible. I guess we, as a society, are going to wake up to this some day and the world of crap, non-food will be a thing of the past. In the meantime, you have to make decisions that are right for you.

Happy Lemming

About 10 months ago, my doctor told me to lose weight & exercise or he would have to put me on cholesterol medication. That was all the motivation I needed. I've dropped the weight, kept it off, get up early EVERY morning and ride my bicycle for 60-90 minutes.

The second I think about eating something with a lot of fat or skipping my exercise routine, I hear his words in the back of my head; that's all I need to stay on track.

I don't know how old you are "Chris2016" but as you get older your body starts to betray you. You have to stay in good health or take handfuls of pills in the morning, something I refuse to do, especially when I can do something to control it. Stay healthy and fit while your young and keep those good habits as you age.

Just my two cents... good luck with your diet/exercise!!

I've now re-gained 20lbs that I've lost, and trying to get back on track.

My wife likes to tell people she's lost 100 lbs. Unfortunately she adds, it's been the same 20 lbs five times.

To me, exercising ls like saving. On payday, I pay myself first, then comes bills and then discretionary spending. I'm similarly locked in on my exercise time - it goes on my calendar first and then everything else works around it.

That's the only way I've found to stay on track...

Mr. Lucky