As you get older, is it normal to fear your birthday?

I'm turning 27 soon, and for some reason it scares the hell out of me... :eek:

I can't figure it out. When I was young birthdays were cool, presents, extra privileges(voting, and drinking and whatnot), then they were kinda boring for a few years, now they are starting to freak me out...

*feels old* :eek:

*starts making fake ID that says I'm 21 again* :D

At your age, it's pretty abnormal to "fear" your birthdays. Just how intense that fear is would determine just how abnormal it is.

Birthdays are a reminder that we are getting older and that time is valueable. As we get older, we realize more and more that we don't have time for unproductive relationships or undertakings. We must most more swiftly to do those kind things we always talk about doing for the people close to us.

Twenty-seven is extremely young. If you're feeling anxious now, you'll be a total basket case when you're 65. If this is really serious, see a counsellor. If it's not, just start living like every minute counts...and ignore birthdays. They are just arbitary numbers is a measurement that some human being came up arbitaririly so we'd remember when to pay income tax.

jen_jen_heartbroken

B,

You're only 27! Relax. You're still a pup. And think of it this way.... Men have it a lot easier when it comes to age. There's no pressure to marry, because you can have children at any age. No biological clock ticking. And a lot of women prefer to date a man who is a few years older....the reverse happens much less often.

At 31, I worry about getting older, even though I've been told I look about 24, but that's because I would like to get married and have a child, and most guys in their 30s go after the skinny twentysomethings who lack spider veins and other signs of aging that I can't compete with.

Jen

I forgot to mention above that, oddly, as the years progress time seems to go faster and faster. When I was in the first grade, I remember how it seemed like getting to the 12th grade would take a lifetime....and it did seem like quite a long time. Now, 12 years goes by in a zip. It's sort of strange how that happens.

No, I'm NOT telling my age but it's over 27!

jen_jen_heartbroken
Originally posted by Tony

Now, 12 years goes by in a zip. It's sort of strange how that happens.

True. Very true. I just heard that Pac Man turns 25 today. That really made me feel old.

I forgot to mention above that, oddly, as the years progress time seems to go faster and faster.

yes TONY, I have noticed this phenomena also. It is quite disconcerting. Sort of like this geometric progression that u have no control over.

• Author

hmm.. I know 27 is still young, but it still scares me... 30 is so close I can taste it.

30 feels so "adult" to me, I don't feel like an adult. I don't feel grown up.

Maybe it's my subconscious trying to tell me to grow up? or go out and get my s*** together?

I guess when I compare myself to other people my age, my friends, and my parents, most of them have finished college, gotten married, engaged, thinking about kids, are buying homes, etc. at this age.

My parents had 2 kids with a 3rd on the way, and had bought their 2nd house at my age.

What do I have to show for my 27 years? nothing...

No, I'm NOT telling my age but it's over 27!

lol I'm 27. I've been 27 for 5 years in a row now :) Funny how that happens

I use to hate my birthdays. I think it had to having high expectations of having fun, and never having them happen. Last year was probably the best birthday I ever had. My stbxh took me to an amusement park and we rode the bumper cars and one roller coaster all day. The entrances/exits were opposite of each other. It was a load of fun :) Just find something you want to do, and dont worry about the age :) I'm even forgetting how old I am lol :)

• Author
Originally posted by dgiirl

I use to hate my birthdays. I think it had to having high expectations of having fun, and never having them happen.

that might be part of it... since 21 it seems like all my birthdays are the same...

I go out to dinner with the parents, I get a few gifts.. and well that's it.

I should throw a giant party.. in my basement apartment. :p

Originally posted by BigB

30 feels so "adult" to me, I don't feel like an adult. I don't feel grown up.

Ah, the infamous being 30 means being an adult :) hehe I've experienced the same thing. My friend described it perfectly. Since we're living longer, we have more time to experience each phase of life. We're doing everything in our 20's what our parents did when they were in their teens. We're doing everything in our 30's what our parents did in their 20's. Dont worry so much about being an adult. I have two sets of friends in their 30's. The mature grown up ones, and the ones who havent grown up yet. I think I'm still in the havent grown up yet stage and right now I"m going to have a blast :) Eventually you'll grow up and have a family, so just enjoy the time now that you have it :) You'll be wishing you had it later.

Age isn't such a big deal for men. I'm 32 and I thought when I turned 30 I thought I would freak out and feel like my youth was gone, but you know what? It came and went and I didn't freak out. I enjoyed my 30th birthday.

Age is just a number. if you feel young at heart then your not old. After the age of 25 I think you start to think about aging and the mortality of life. It is a common problem. We start to think about our life and what it's meaning is. (Is their a God? Will I be remembered for my life? Etc..) Just don't put to much emphasis on it and you won't even notice when you slide past 30. Life gets better because we know so much more then we did and we can impart all that wisdom on the young. LOL :)

Originally posted by Marshbear

Age is just a number.

Bullsheeyot it is, MB! :)

I just turned 24 and I was depressed...I was like "holly crap in 4 years it's my high school reunion" :confused:

Don't worry BigB...it's not your age you should worry about, it's about your health and how you feel. IF you feel young you are young...That's what's keeping my spirits up, I don't look my age or feel my age so look on the bright side...You can always lie about your age :p

I don't feel like an adult. I don't feel grown up.

You never do. At least so far I don't and people I talk to say the same, no matter what their age. You just learn more stuff and have more experiences. As for getting your act together, it's all about knowing what you really want. Don't get married and buy a house because you think you should - do these things when you want to because you want to - and not just that vague little kinda want but a real desire.

I knew a guy who was married, had a house, etc. at 27 - acted like he was 'way older, i.e. took everything dead seriously. He was all about responsibility, which is fine, but I think at the expense of relishing his own lfe.

• Author

you guys got me thinking, do I feel my age?

Physically I feel 50, to many injuries.

Mentally I feel 18, maybe younger, I still watch cartoons, play video games, etc. Probably the result of spending almost 6 years of my life recovering from those injuries.

Maybe I'm now missing the things I missed out on as a kid? The school dances, and the parties, and the dating, and all that "kid" stuff that I never did.

I was super shy in school, didn't have many friends, 3 months into high school and I was expelled and started working full time. I never went back to regular high school.

meh, maybe it's just the 20+ hours without sleep making me a little wacky this morning. :rolleyes:

jen_jen_heartbroken
Originally posted by BigB

I was super shy in school, didn't have many friends, 3 months into high school and I was expelled and started working full time. I never went back to regular high school.

B~ Off topic, but did you ever get your GED? Cause if you did, you could always take some classes at the community college, which might make you feel like you're headed towards some firmer goals.

• Author
Originally posted by jen_jen_heartbroken

B~ Off topic, but did you ever get your GED? Cause if you did, you could always take some classes at the community college, which might make you feel like you're headed towards some firmer goals.

I managed to graduate. after getting kicked out of high school, I wasn't allowed to go for a year, I then I went into an independent study program where I had "school" for 1 hour a week, and did all my work on my own. Last 3 months of high school I moved to a continuation high school (where they sent the bad kids, and the pregnant girls) because they had the best computer lab, and I could take some classes twice a day to catch up. I even graduated 3 months early.

I am planning to take some classes at the JC starting in the fall. I slacked off and didn't register in time for summer.

My plan for the summer will be to move into a new apartment, and try to loose some weight. Maybe I'm anxious because I haven't started yet....

Originally posted by moimeme

I knew a guy who was married, had a house, etc. at 27 - acted like he was 'way older, i.e. took everything dead seriously. He was all about responsibility, which is fine, but I think at the expense of relishing his own lfe.

That was me and my stbxh!! :( Now we're getting a divorce. We've accomplished a lot in 8 years, but we forgot to pay attention to each other. So dont rush into things. It'll come when it comes, but in the meantime, enjoy life. Before my stbxh dropped the d-bomb i really felt like I was really really really really old. Now my spirits have lifted and I enjoy life more. I hope this feeling lasts with me forever :)