Work/Life Decision

Hello,

I have an opportunity to change jobs at the moment and cant seem to make a decision. My current job and the new job both affect my work-life balance in different ways.

Current job: I work and live on the job site for about a week. I work a 12hr shift, and then my coworker who lives on the site works the other 12hrs. I then go home(1 hr drive) and I'm off for about a week.

New job: Typically 6 days a week,(sometimes 7days) 8hr shift, but I will be home every day. Might have to work the midnight shift depending on seniority of other employees in my department.

My pay will roughly be the same for both jobs.

I just cant make up my mind on my free time away from work. My current job allows me the opportunity to have a week off usually every other week. But that week away from home still wears on you. The new job I will be home every day but I will not have as many full days off.

Anyone got any insight to the situation that maybe I havent seen?

Take what you have written as the beginning of a pro con list & then add in your emotional / non-quantifiable reactions to both jobs. Which offers better long term prospects for advancement or better benefits?

• Like 1

As someone with a history of depression, one thing I have learned is that overall it's physically, emotionally, and psychologically healthier to have a balanced routine in a day-to-day life. Long periods of overwork, followed by long periods of no-work creates a non-stop cycle of stress in work to boredom out of work.

As I see it, in the long run, if you continue staying in the week-on & week-off job then the work week will seem way too long and then the week off will just feel like time to sleep and recover.

I usually notice that after a very stressful week of work right before a holiday break, I usually sleep through the break and don't feel like I have the energy to do something for fun anymore; and I also end up worrying about how quickly this week disappears and how soon I'll have to get back to work.

Also, the week-on & week-off timing sounds rather unfavorable to having relationships.

Whereas, if you go for the 8-hr workday job, each-day will offer you a few hours of work-stress followed by a few hours of personal life time, where you can schedule in things you want to explore and do: hobbies, social time, exercise, whatever interests you.

Should you have a bad day at work at any given day, you can always look forward to getting home and relax to recuperate.

It's kind of like, fasting for two days, followed by over-eating for two days is not as healthy as eating small portions of meal several times a day and having in between time to digest it--if that makes any sense!

The important thing that we don't know about you is your personal life; are you married? dating? single?

Personally, if I was with a partner who had this type of employment, I would rather see them a little bit each day - every day - than have more time together every-other-week.

There is much to be said in having consistency in one's life and if you are not involved with someone and might want to be, you may have a better chance with the second job that gives you more time to connect with others on a daily basis.

If you can't make a decision, it is because your unconscious mind has not resolved the conflict yet. It may take a little longer. If you have time before you have to give an answer, forget about it for a day or so and sleep on it. Let your unconscious work on the pros and cons. Gradually, things should start to come into better focus.

There may be several conflicts going on at once. Work hours and time off. Whether you actually prefer to spend your time off at home or not. Whether the new job is a good deal overall or not (irrespective of changes in shifts). It sounds like a lot to consider. This is hard to do consciously, hence my suggestion above.