Is it true drinking can make you feel better and get over depression?

For many, that feeling of "relaxed" IS a depressant and only amplifies all the negative feelings.

• Like 2

well yes, temporarily. Alcohol is a depressant which means it slows functions and blocks messages to your brain.....makes you feel good in the moment. It absolutely will not help you get over depression, quite the opposite, you might develop a dependence to make the pain go away -> alcoholism.

For me - I find a glass of white wine works wonders for stress, anxiety and anger. But wine or any other alcohol does not work for depression.

For depression - activity/exercise, uplifting music or motivational speakers/music, and perhaps a good movie (especially a funny one) help...as does therapy. At least these do for me.

• Like 5
I am feeling somewhat depressed and down. I have been told that drinking a beer or two can help you feel better and more relaxed . Is this true?

You'd be using booze as a crutch to make yourself feel better, therefore there's a chance that you could become reliant on it to always make yourself feel better. Hello alcoholism!

Being depressed and drinking isn't a good combo.

• Like 1

Drinking helps me but I wouldn't really recommend it. It's the easy way out. It's much harder to face your feelings head on, sober.

I am feeling somewhat depressed and down. I have been told that drinking a beer or two can help you feel better and more relaxed . Is this true?

It can, but it will be temporary.

You can't run away from your problems with alcohol.

Now if you just need to unwind after a long day, different story.

• Like 2

You wouldn't want to become dependant on it.

I rarely get drunk but when I have in the past, it made me feel depressed the next day.

• Like 1

I wouldn't think so - - alcohol is a depressant. I'm not much of a drinker but the few times I have drank, alcohol made me feel much MUCH worse

Yes, it can help "numb" your feelings so to speak, but you don't want to head down that route. Try and work on your issues. You don't want to end up becoming an alcoholic.

Nikki Sahagin

Alcohol is a temporary crutch.

I believe the odd drink CAN alleviate self-consciousness and shyness. It's social lubrication.

BUT be weary of drinking too much. Remember also that alcohol is a depressant so by morning the low feelings will be back, only stronger.

If drinking was a cure for depression, then there would be no need for therapists, counsellors and antidepressant drugs.

YOU need to work out why you are depressed and down and work to solve any issues. Go see a doctor, and he/she can point you in the direction of a therapist or start you on antidepressants.

The problem with drinking while depressed is that one or two will relax you, more will result in you trying to blot out the problem, one drink leads to another to another.

Your tolerance to drink increases, so whilst one drink may give you a nice break or may let you sleep, as time goes on you need two or three or four...etc. to get the same effect.

Before you know it you are drinking a 1/2 bottle of spirits or more in order to make you feel better. But once the drink wears off you are even more down, so you end up drinking during the day and at odd times day and night.

Most people can handle drinking but when you mind is disordered with depression, drinking can take over.

Yes and no.

It can make you feel better while you are drinking/drunk if you have good company or something to take your mind off of what's depressing you. But the next day you usually have some negative effect from the alcohol. And alcohol is by nature a depressant, so it will typically compound your bad feelings the next day in addition to whatever negative physical effects the alcohol has on your body.

I've found it to be a tasty coping mechanism personally, and have been drinking long enough to learn how to hydrate properly and therefore mitigate the physical effects the following day most of the time. Since I'm aware it will depress me emotionally the next day I override it with some extra caffeine. If you can keep the drinking down to a couple times a week I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Honestly I work with someone who doesn't drink or get laid and they are a HORROR to be around. They're super negative, stressed, and uptight all the time.

I agree with the others though - if you've been clinically diagnosed with depression do NOT drink.

Edited by Almond_Joy

It will make you feel better while you're drunk. Lack of inhibitions and all.

However, alcohol is a depressant so it will in no way help you 'get over' or 'fix' your depression.

If you are depressed, consult your doctor.

Trying working out and eating better. You'll just end up drinking too much alcohol and feeling like crap. Your one or two will turn into five or six which will fuel your depression. You'll start to get even more depresses cause alcohol disrupts your important REM sleep. This is why if you get drunk and pass out early you are still tired and feel like junk the next day.