I've struggled with it for years. I've tried to pretend it wasn't a big deal, but it is. It's ruined relationships and it's caused me to live in ways I don't want to live: In constant fear.

Those that have it know what I'm talking about. Over thinking, paranoia, intense worry and fear, insecurity, OCD related stuff, etc. The works.

I really want to get my life back in control now. It's long overdue. My main issue is that I just can't afford therapy, so I need to find other resources to help myself. That's why I'm here.

I bought a book on mindfulness so that's my starting point, but I'm asking for more advice. Anything that could help me I want to do. Meditation techniques, breathing exercises, anything.

I would be grateful for your help.

• Like 3

You're not alone in this, millions of people suffer from anxiety disorders and the good news is, you can work through this and get control back in your life. Finding a therapist who you can trust and feel comfortable with is very important. Google cognitive behaviour therapy, pricing etc, maybe even going to 3-5 sessions will be enough to help you through this. This type of counseling is crucial when dealing with anxiety/depression/ocd etc... It's talk therapy, exposure therapy (dealing with the causes of your anxiety and figuring out ways to handle it all better, understanding why you suffer from it and facing your fears), can be done with or without meds. Some CBT therapists won't push meds on their client unless they feel it's a MUST and a last resort.

You'll learn how to cope with anxiety, learn techniques which will help you when you have an anxiety/panic attack by doing deep breathing, positive thoughts, visualization, meditation and yoga.

Talk to your friends and family about what is going on, don't isolate yourself. when you feel awful - reach out! It helps to have that support system, to have someone just there if you're feeling anxious can make you feel a bit better. Let's say you need to go grocery shopping but can't go by yourself - Asking someone to come with you could help settle your nerves and make you feel more comfortable.

Hope this helps.

PS some good books, Been There, Done That, Try This by Sam Obitz and any Dr David Burns books are also great.

Oops, sorry I missed that you can't afford counseling. If possible can you borrow money from someone? A family member?

Do a list, all the things that make you feel anxious, what your fears are, past hurts. Think of stuff that could be causing you anxiety. The books that recommended all have TEA forms, which you should fill out daily.

Keep a food journal. Wheat, sugar, caffeine, all can affect you too.. Cut down on sugar and caffeine when you are feeling anxiety. Eat more fruits and veggies, a balanced meal and also drink a lot of water! In the morning, try hot water and lemon, it does help digestive system as well as just overall health.

Where do you live? In the US there are quite a few options for low cost or free mental health services. Universities, government programs, many employers have free services too.

I highly suggest you try some medication, they can be very effective for anxiety disorders. I think some are now offered as generics so you can probably get them for under $10 a month.

• Like 1

Google foods that help with anxiety. Off the top of my head I can remember oatmeal, oranges, bananas, almonds, walnuts, green tea, spinach, broccoli, brown rice. Also take Vitamin D3 supplements and walk outside. I really notice the difference.

I am a sugar addict and when I eat sweets I feel anxious and depressed.

There are many ways you can deal with anxiety and a lot have been named here.

However, if you've dealt with this for years and it has affected your personal life, it is possible eating well and exercise and meditation will not be enough at first.

By all means, do all these things. But consult your doctor. You can take anti anxiety medication while you learn how to deal with it and once it's under control, you can use meditation and exercise to keep it to a manageable level.

If you can 't afford counselling, try self-help books? I know a lot of people find them a funny concept but pouring your little heart out to a stranger is not for everybody.

If you were to get therapy for anxiety, it would probably be Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and taadaaaa

http://www.amazon.ca/Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy-Dummies-Willson/dp/0470018380

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook For Dummies: Rhena Branch, Rob Willson: 9781119951407: Books - Amazon.ca

Good luck!

I think mindfulness meditation is great, though it can be difficult at first. Maybe try guided meditation if you get frustrated. Also, yoga is great for balancing mood, anxiety and stress. It's gotten to the point that just stepping on my mat has a positive pavlovian effect. Acupuncture is also very good for anxiety. I use ear seeds when the stress is especially high. Both of my kids have used yoga and ear seeds with good outcomes, too. Good luck!