should i give up a full ride to college

Hi, I am a sophomore currently going to school to play athletics. My freshman year I didn't play at all and this year 2 freshmen are going to start over me. I'm not truly happy here and the one thing keeping me here is the money. If it weren't for the money I wouldn't be doing this for sure. I don't want to ride the bench all four years. The thing is I'm not sure how else I would pay for college if I went back home but I just want to be happy. what should I do?

Be happy knowing that -- unlike many of your peers -- you won't be leaving school w/ $20-120k in debt. Focus on picking a wise major and clapping for your teammates from the comfort of the bench.

• Like 2

IMO, I'd focus on the academics and view the athletics as the 'work' to pay for the education which will last a lifetime. If you sit on the bench for four years, OK, that's the work; however, that's really unknown. If you remain focused, your athletics can benefit as much as the academics.

Perhaps view this as a prelude to life. Making choices and accepting challenges and overcoming them. With each choice comes a risk. Evaluate it and move forward. Good luck!

• Like 3

There are some critical lessons you can get out of this experience.

We don't always get our way. That's a life lesson you'll have to accept at some point. Is quitting when we don't get our way a viable approach in the real world? Will you quit your job because the boss promotes someone over you? Learn to handle obstacles and initial failures with grace, and it will serve you well in life.

Clearly you had potential, or they wouldn't have awarded you a scholarship. But that potential hasn't translated on the college court or in team practice. At the end of the day, the team has to win. That's why you're sitting on the bench right now. It's up to you to change that by becoming a stronger team player.

Lose any sense of self-entitlement. Figure out how you can improve. Chat with your coach to find out what you need to do differently. Talk with older teammates and get some tips from them. Then give practice 110%.

How successful we are in life is largely dependent on how we react at roadblocks.

Best!

Edited by angel.eyes
  • Like 2