High point, low point and what did you learn today?

Michelle ma Belle

This is an off-shoot of my other thread on here called http://www.loveshack.org/forums/mind-body-soul/self-improvement-personal-well-being/481278-what-you-grateful

I believe with every fiber in my being that we learn and grow from the experiences in our lives both good but especially the not so good. BUT it really only works if and when we are aware of these experiences.

In order to instill this kind of awareness and reflection in my children, I used to play a game at night before bed called "High Point, Low Point and What did you Learn Today?"

The trick is to focus on TODAY'S events and choose only ONE thing for each category. Some days may be easier than others but the practice of this puts you in a state of openness and awareness. My kids couldn't wait to tell me their lessons and often times this would be a catalyst for some wonderfully candid conversations that I might not have gotten a chance to have with them otherwise.

So...

As of right now, what was your (1) high point, (2) your low point and (3) what was the lesson you learned today? :bunny:

littleplanet

Seems like I'm the first respondant. (and a fellow Canadian, too.)

How bout that.

Gotta puzzle on the question a spell.......

Okay.

The high point was all the laughing going on around my house from me trying to figure out what a "hipster" was supposed to be.

And what I learned today, is that that same animal sure isn't what it used to be. The new definitions I discovered, make me feel almost like Rumplestilskin awaking from that 40-year nap.

But that wasn't the low point (or maybe it was?) :D

That's a wonderful game to play with your kids. Encouragement with self-awareness is always important.

Reflection is something I do constantly. And that was taught to me by my father at a pretty young age. He was a writer, and had a writer's perception of the world around him.......noticing things.

I do believe we all learn from highs and lows. And maybe when that pendulum comes to rest in the middle....is where and when we learn best.

Long memories run in my family, and I still love figuring out things that happened decades ago.

Yet......living in the moment can provide some of the best lessons of all.