Spacing out problem

ThatGirl213

Hello everyone,

I am a 25 year old female. I have forever been absent minded. I have a very good memory though. But I am just inattentive and I space out all the time. Sometimes people talk to me and I have to ask them what are they talking about atleast twice before I realize whats going on. I just feel like I have no interest in anything. I am not depressed or feeling hopeless. I just like to stay on my bed whole day on social networks and procrastinate. I am not working at the moment. So I have a lot of time in my hand. Some of my close friends have told me I look lazy. Most times I don't feel like I am in the moment even when I am around my close friends. I am not naturally shy or socially awkward. Any tips on how I could be a little more active and be on top of things. Thank you.

ThaWholigan

Spacing out is a problem for myself too. I have to ask for repeat instructions regularly :laugh:+.

Best thing I learned to do was write everything down. If you can get yourself a little notepad and a pen, just write down things that may help you in general throughout the day that keep you more attentive.

The only other thing I would say is occasionally you might have to force yourself to do something. Whenever I have done this, I learned this meditation trick my dad taught me. When you're being absent-minded and lost in your thoughts - as I am often :D - objectively watch your thoughts as they go past in your head. What happens is, as you intently focus on them, they will begin to slow down and eventually they will stop. And your mind will be completely clear. You can do this when you're doing anything! And you will have more focus when you are active.

Another suggestion would be to take up a sport. I've taken up a slight interest in Tennis and have long since wanted to take up a martial art. These things could help improve your focus too :).

• Like 5
Hello everyone,

I am a 25 year old female. I have forever been absent minded. I have a very good memory though. But I am just inattentive and I space out all the time. Sometimes people talk to me and I have to ask them what are they talking about atleast twice before I realize whats going on. I just feel like I have no interest in anything. I am not depressed or feeling hopeless. I just like to stay on my bed whole day on social networks and procrastinate. I am not working at the moment. So I have a lot of time in my hand. Some of my close friends have told me I look lazy. Most times I don't feel like I am in the moment even when I am around my close friends. I am not naturally shy or socially awkward. Any tips on how I could be a little more active and be on top of things. Thank you.

Get tested for ADD... you probably meet the criteria.

I was the same way. It took until this past year (24) to finally snap and say enough was enough. I was tired of floating through life. Got put on meds... finally got to be able to experience the moment. My social, academic and professional life all improved.

It's not a magic cure however... as you can see I'm procrastinating by typing this.

littleplanet

Try making a list (anything) of 10 things to do in order - one after another.

If this works for you......make that list of things in such a way that they all follow each other as natural steps.

- like taking something apart and putting it back together

- cooking a meal

- applying makeup? :cool:

This helps the mind to naturally organize itself.

Other than that.....

daydreamy wanders are not so bad - unless they get in the way of things we really do have to focus on (driving, for instance.)

A good memory is probably an excellent sign that things are not so very out of whack.

Doesn't seem like there is any negative emotion connection.

All to the good.

Part of this might just be your own particular brand of rebellion against being in 'someone else's' moment.

You'd rather be in your own, instead.

There are so many social constructs these days that seem to require our complete focus and attention: almost as if human has morphed into machine.....

(perhaps this is your way of staying as human as you wish to be....)

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 2
Targetlock

I have Dyspraxia and often have the same issue. my advice is use the notepad and paper idea, i often find things easier to manage and remember if i write it all down, like if someone says a list of instructions to me i would forget parts of it i don't write them down. practice makes perfect and in my case I've been able to do it to a point where i don't need the lists and notes as often :) i also sometimes space out or lose focus but that can be because I'm not focussing on the task at hand and busy thinking about something else, daydreaming a lot is also an issue.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 2

I have ADD and I am just like that. I space out have to ask people to repeat things but I had a great memory. I just have a really hard time paying attention

whichwayisup
Hello everyone,

There are tricks you can teach your brain, CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) to get yourself going and motivated. Exercise daily, maybe join a gym or something, do yoga.

Talk to your family Dr about this and see if there is something going on. If you need to go on meds, do so as it'll help keep you focused and in the moment instead of spacing out and missing conversation flow.

I don't have ADD but I am very aware that I tune out automatically if a conversation doesn't interest me. More so when people are discussing politics or some other heated subject that gets them ranting. My mom one time pointed out to me that it's obvious too, so are your friends aware that you do this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
ThatGirl213
There are tricks you can teach your brain, CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) to get yourself going and motivated. Exercise daily, maybe join a gym or something, do yoga.

Talk to your family Dr about this and see if there is something going on. If you need to go on meds, do so as it'll help keep you focused and in the moment instead of spacing out and missing conversation flow.

I don't have ADD but I am very aware that I tune out automatically if a conversation doesn't interest me. More so when people are discussing politics or some other heated subject that gets them ranting. My mom one time pointed out to me that it's obvious too, so are your friends aware that you do this?

I can focus very well if it is a must. Say for example, if I have an exam tomorrow and I really need to study or listen to a lecture video, I can do it with no problem. I just don't think it is any medical problem. I just like to procrastinate and waste time. Then end of the day before falling asleep, I remember how much I wasted during the day. And like you said, when the topic being talked about doesn't interest me, I space out and in between in my thoughts too. These things never caused any problems for meas such. But I just wanted to get out feeling lazy and basically wasting my good time.

Thanks all for your advices. I will take your advice about exercising. That has helped in the past. Just that after a few days I lost interest and couldn't keep myself motivated. Also the 'making a list'. That seems like a good idea.