Medication for mild depression

Has anyone experienced taking antidepressants for mild depression? For a type of depression that's not always active but is always lurking close by. It doesn't affect getting out of bed in the morning, etc, but can feel like a heavy cloud that attacks happiness and motivation.

I'm just wondering whether the side effects from the medication would be worse to deal with? And also the side effects when tapering. I'd like advice on prescribed antidepressant meds please, not alternatives such as St. John's Wort, etc.

Thanks all :)

Why don't you want advice on 'alternatives', just out of curiosity....?

• Author

Because I've already done my research on alternatives....and although I've researched prescribed meds I'm interested in hearing about the realities of the side effects and also how effective the medication actually is, and in what ways it helps.

Having said that, I'd welcome any advice - alternatives or not :)

I take St John's Wort, which works wonders, and for a particularly severe bout, I was prescribed Sepia (a homoeopathic treatment) which worked very well for me.

I was tested with several different remedies, without my knowing what they were, and asked to report back on anything I noticed as 'different'.

So it's important to take the remedy best evaluated for you....

I also take Bach Flower Rescue Remedy.

All three seem to work at different times, depending on my own personal levels of 'Low-some'.....

However, if you've already kind of fixed in your mind that something definitely won't work for you, then don't bother trying them.

These alternatives are not all 'in the mind' but depression is.

If you fix an idea into your psyche, then that's the idea that will stick.

And please bear in mind that an awful lot of current pharmaceutical medications are already based on previous herbal alternatives.

• Author

I love the sound of St John's Wort, and the fact that it's readily available. But I'm taking another type of unrelated medication of which the effectiveness can be reduced by SJW. I can still 'try' SJW with caution, it just may not be a long term option.

SJW has a negative effect on most anti-depressants - because most anti-depressants have components based on SJW. It's like a + and a + make a -.

if you're going to take an anti-depressant, take SJW.

It has no side-effects to speak of (certainly not on anywhere near the same level as pharma products) and it's non-addictive....

Has anyone experienced taking antidepressants for mild depression? For a type of depression that's not always active but is always lurking close by. It doesn't affect getting out of bed in the morning, etc, but can feel like a heavy cloud that attacks happiness and motivation.

I'm just wondering whether the side effects from the medication would be worse to deal with? And also the side effects when tapering. I'd like advice on prescribed antidepressant meds please, not alternatives such as St. John's Wort, etc.

Exercise. Yoga, meditation. triple dose your vitamin D intake with vitamin pills. I'm a med wimp so i'd rather go natural than take prescribed medication with side effects.

Talk to your family Dr. Maybe they can put you on a very low dose of anti depressant.

• Like 2

And very important:

Check if you have a vitamin B deficiency: Particularly B12.

That's a real vital one for us ladies - and one we find, astonishingly, we're very low on......

I took a few different anti-depressants years ago and they all caused me to gain weight, which depressed me more. Seriously one drug caused me to gain 30 pounds in a year, while my doctor insisted it couldn't possibly be the drug. It was, of course. I had been slim all my life, then all of a sudden...?

I went off the drug and went on a heavy-duty diet...I've lost the weight but it was really hard to do.

Apparently Wellbutrin doesn't cause weight gain but it's bad for anxiety-related depression.

St. John's Wort just made me jumpy. Bach's Rescue Remedy didn't seem to do anything for me.

And very important:

Check if you have a vitamin B deficiency: Particularly B12.

That's a real vital one for us ladies - and one we find, astonishingly, we're very low on......

True.

However, this is a tricky one, because believe it or not, any B vitamin can cause anxiety (sometimes severe).

OP, are your depressions low or anxiety-based?

I took a few different anti-depressants years ago and they all caused me to gain weight, which depressed me more. Seriously one drug caused me to gain 30 pounds in a year, while my doctor insisted it couldn't possibly be the drug. It was, of course. I had been slim all my life, then all of a sudden...?

I went off the drug and went on a heavy-duty diet...I've lost the weight but it was really hard to do.

Apparently Wellbutrin doesn't cause weight gain but it's bad for anxiety-related depression.

St. John's Wort just made me jumpy. Bach's Rescue Remedy didn't seem to do anything for me.

I agree...

Many people presume that simply because a remedy is 'natural' it will be okay to take.

Just as much caution and research is required for these products as for pharma-chemical ones.

Everything can have, and does have a side effect.

it depends on the individual to what extent those side-effects manifest.

I am perfectly fine on the products mentioned, and they work for me.

KraftDinner does not fare so well.

But that doesn't make them either 'good' or 'bad'.

Everyone should just try to be educated about what they consider taking.

• Author
SJW has a negative effect on most anti-depressants - because most anti-depressants have components based on SJW. It's like a + and a + make a -.

if you're going to take an anti-depressant, take SJW.

It has no side-effects to speak of (certainly not on anywhere near the same level as pharma products) and it's non-addictive....

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

The medication I'm on is for another condition entirely (immune system related) - but as it's broken down by the same liver enzymes as SJW, taking SJW can reduce its effectiveness, which obviously isn't good. So taking SJW might not be an option for me. My doc advised against it (just being cautious) but said that ultimately, it's my decision. If it did affect my meds though, I'd have to stop taking it.

I'm not deficient in B12, I always keep my eye on that and I actually take a daily B12 supplement anyway.

I have recently started exercising, which is bound to help. I've just got to a point where I'm so fed up of having my happiness and motivation zapped. It's purely chemical I think because my thoughts aren't affected - I still get on with things and just wait for the cloud to pass. It kind of temporarily numbs my feelings. So I'm not sure whether to just try SJW or ask for a low dose of anti-d.

Kraft - I can suffer from anxiety occasionally yes, but I think this is usually brought on by low mood. When my mood is what I consider to be normal for me, I'm quite a bright and laid back person, I don't get anxious about things that happen from day to day.

todreaminblue

effexor can be effective or cipramil..i have clinical depression with something else

i dont take meds because the mix of meds they give me stuffs up me in general,i feel sub human on them, i went back on my medication for three days and then couldnt do it anymore what will be will be will be........so i stopped again....i have a problem with terminology sentences that include mild and depression....anything that attacks happiness and motivation and is like a dark cloud to me is not mild......you have to trial and find what best suits you under medical supervision.......best wishes....deb

• Author
i have a problem with terminology sentences that include mild and depression....anything that attacks happiness and motivation and is like a dark cloud to me is not mild......

Very true. I guess what I mean is that I'm still fully functioning and have never had suicidal thoughts or anything like that. I just feel a bit miserable and sometimes very numb.

Feelin Frisky

The condition you describe is called "dysthymia". I have this. They typify it as "low level depression" but I see it more as hidden slippage off the path of purposeful living. I have taken AD's for 20 years and have sampled several families and combinations. But I generally just take my one reliable "go to" which is Prozac. I don't "feel" any presence of this medication in my perceptions and it's use seems to act like putting a pair of eye-glasses on the mind so that it's way easier to understand the edges of everything. Without it I'm more temperamental and tend to slams things and use phrases of exaggeration like "every freaking time", "Jesus effing Christ" etc. I think it's just natural for some people to be out of tune like that and SSRI meds like Prozac give me the ability to put things into perspective and choose my feelings in better proportions. There is no abuse potential and no withdrawal. There are side effects but one can beat them. One is the "sexual side effect" that is often mentioned on commercials for ADs which is "anorgasmia"--no shortage of wood or enthusiasm, just a difficulty in achieving orgasm. My way to address this was to take the med every other day instead of every day and only go to every day if I feel I need to be in better discipline. I have no use whatsoever for herbals as they are not highly specific medications but are blanket toxins which seem to have drug-like properties. You have to be careful what you run through your brain and other organs. I have caused bad things to happen by taking so-called "supplements" which portend to offer OTC remedies for nervousness. Stick with a psychiatrist and always speak up about your tolerances. Some things take you in wrong directions.

A direction I didn't like at all was Effexor which mixes and SSRI agent with a norepinephrine agent. I have established that I don't tolerate anything that works on norepinephrine very well. It makes me jittery and self-conscious. But, surprisingly, this medication works the opposite on some people---the kind of people who are already hyper who take accelerant drugs like Adderall to slow down. Most people however experience speed as speed--not an answer to speed. So, take an inventory of your symptoms and relate them to your doctor. He or she will figure out a direction. Just know however that they cannot be sure of your chemistry and that the nature of medicine in this area is always trial and error. That means you have to "direct" and not just "yield" or "suffer in silence". They can only prescribe based on what you relate to them. Best of luck in you efforts to achieve the you you are happy with.

• Like 2

I take a low dose of Lexapro (20 mg) and it has really helped me. I suffer from General Anxiety Disorder and Seasonal Affective Disorder.

This anti-depressant isn't without side effects and can take up two weeks to become effective. Also, the sexual side effect that Feelin' Frisky spoke of is true, however it does subside. I haven't gained any weight.

I didn't feel subhuman after taking it. In fact, it felt as though someone had ripped dark window tinting off my brain and my vision seemed clearer. For me, the reward was definitely worth the risk. It has taken the edge off of the day to day gloomy-ness.

*** I too tried Effexor, hated it, was really sick with it and it seemed neverending. I also tried Abilify at one point to see if I could feel even better, but it seemed to increase my anxiety. Good luck to you. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

Seasonal Affective Discorder just means you need more sunlight in winter. People get depressed in winter due to cold weather, longer nights, cabin fever. You can buy full spectrum lightbulbs, but going for a brisk walk outside will lift your mood. Take extra Vitamin D3 (cheaply bought at Trader Joe's) is another natural remedy recommended by all doctors these days. Too many of us work indoors under fluorescent light which is very depressing.

Avoid pharmaceuticals at all cost. The people I know who take them wind up taking more and more and all different sorts and then add in anti-anxiety meds. They're all overweight. They never get better but are terrified to get off of them, partly due to horrendous side effects when you try to kick the drugs. Scary! Expensive, too.

Examine what's been happening in your life to make you depressed. Find someone sympathetic to talk to, even a basic psychotherapist.

Edited by FitChick
  • Like 1
  • Author

Thanks FitChick but I don't have SAD, it's all year round unfortunately!

I think it's definitely circumstantial a lot of the time, but not all lifestyle changes can be made over night and it just makes me feel a whole lot worse when the cloud comes back. Sometimes though, it's not due to circumstances and I just get that 'what's the point' feeling.

Thanks Frisky - interesting to know it has a name!

Feelin Frisky

I think it's definitely circumstantial a lot of the time, but not all lifestyle changes can be made over night and it just makes me feel a whole lot worse when the cloud comes back. Sometimes though, it's not due to circumstances and I just get that 'what's the point' feeling.

Careful of getting bad advice from biased people on the net. Pharmaceuticals are the only way to go and if people are getting fat from them they are not working the program--they are just taking medicine and expecting it to do everything. There are meds that can cause weight gain in some people but there is many a devil in the detail. Which meds? What type of people? What else are they doing or not doing that should be factored in? Many people are still thinking of medicine as unchanged from the mid 20th Century where one was either getting an upper or a downer or both in the same day for issues of "spirit". People also confuse typical anti-psychotics like Thorazine which can make one uber-medicated and dull with latter-day "atypical" antipsychotics like Seroquel and modern SSRIs like Lexapro which don't have those over-medicating effects. Some doctors also complicate things by throwing older class benzodiazepines into the mix which in some people causes appetite gain and sleepiness. When brought together, increased food and increased sleep for just a few weeks can result in a major weight gain. But this is the exception (to be avoided) and not the rule (to be favored). Most mental health practitioners do not prescribe things like Xanax and Ativan any more. They create problems--one of which is to confuse people on the sidelines who tend to want to whitewash everything with the same brush. An "avoid all pharmaceuticals" message is one of dangerous generality which can keep you from discovering the best possible answer the soonest and leave you out of the miracle to suffer in the dark. What you want to do is try to find the express and be mindful of anything that takes you off track.

• Like 1

The thing I am not comfortable with is how with modern medicine it seems to be too much of lets try this, suck it and see approach when it comes to ADs. For most other health issues the doctor will usually request pathology tests before considering what drug treatment to go with, but when it involves the brain, they can have a script written out and have you on your way in 5 mins. I hear of some people taking crazy amounts which they up it over time to keep the effects going and also sometimes with multiple ADs or anti anxiety meds

S - You might be interested in doing this test from Dr Eric Braverman to see what neurotransmitters are the issue.

How chemically balanced is your brain?

He also has recommendations on diet and supplements that will help with a deficiency of each type. His book 'the Edge Effect' has excerpts online.

Edited by ascendotum
  • Like 1

Very interesting test. I will have to take it when I have more time. Please post it as a separate thread. I'm sure many others would like to take the test as well.

Just a little warning about StJohns Wort: it can decrease the efficacy of your birth control pills. Keep that in mind if you take those.

• Author

Thanks Addison. I know all about that...another reason I'm put off it

Thanks for the test ascendotum, that looks really interesting! Will definitely give it a go