golferguy1

Hi,

Sorry this is long,

I am 27 years old and have limited experience with dating didn't date in HS had other interests/sports/computers. I have also battled depression off and on and finally this year after being in denial, I have sought out help for it. I live alone, and want to have a relationship, I have been doing the online dating, as I have also had shyness issues. I am coming out of my shell... I have dated more the past few years, but this year I have batted depression, probably for about a year now. I probably have severe depression as well as Attention Defecit Disorder. I am taking medicne for both and it is helping.I am also trying to find a therapist, I was seeing one but had to stop due to finances. I also feel I wasn't getting much out of the therapy. I am starting to have more energy as well. I have had sleep issues and sometimes get 2-4 hrs of sleep per night then work a full day. I have had money issues the past few months and trying to get back on track there. I also just don't want to be around anyone somtimes. Today I am supposed to go to a Bbq and don't even really want to do that.

My question is, is it good to try and date while your depressed? Or should I wait until I feel better? I feel like I write lame intro emails and don't really focus on what I want to say. I am worried when it comes to the phone conversations the other person might sense something is I am down.

I live in the PNW and it is cloudy and not much sun here, mostly rain except from June-August.

Edited by golferguy1

I do not know about dating but sex is great for depression. Find a few girls as FWBs and have sex with them without drama.

I suffer from depression and social anxiety as well and I was recently trying online dating. It took about 80-100 tries, but I got about 7 people to respond. Most of them turned into them not responding to my messages after 1-2 messages, but I gave my number to two of them who then called me.

One was obviously playing games so I dropped her. The other one was awesome. We met up a few times and had some fun, but I just couldn't make things work because of my depression and stuff. I tried to explain myself to her, but it didn't work. She told me to call her when I am over my issues because it was too awkward dealing with me.

So what I am saying is even if you really try, you're probably not going to have a great chance of forming a healthy relationship with someone.

I have similar issues as you and I convinced myself that I would be able to snap out of it if I found someone that I really cared about that felt the same about me, but it just doesn't work that way.

I hope you can get over your depression and things work out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks I hope I can to this is not fun, I am pretty much a hermit and don't go anywhere cause I don't have any energy, I can't keep my house clean. I have a med check with my doctor this week.

You'reasian
Hi,

Sorry this is long,

I am 27 years old and have limited experience with dating didn't date in HS had other interests/sports/computers. I have also battled depression off and on and finally this year after being in denial, I have sought out help for it. I live alone, and want to have a relationship, I have been doing the online dating, as I have also had shyness issues. I am coming out of my shell... I have dated more the past few years, but this year I have batted depression, probably for about a year now. I probably have severe depression as well as Attention Defecit Disorder. I am taking medicne for both and it is helping.I am also trying to find a therapist, I was seeing one but had to stop due to finances. I also feel I wasn't getting much out of the therapy. I am starting to have more energy as well. I have had sleep issues and sometimes get 2-4 hrs of sleep per night then work a full day. I have had money issues the past few months and trying to get back on track there. I also just don't want to be around anyone somtimes. Today I am supposed to go to a Bbq and don't even really want to do that.

My question is, is it good to try and date while your depressed? Or should I wait until I feel better? I feel like I write lame intro emails and don't really focus on what I want to say. I am worried when it comes to the phone conversations the other person might sense something is I am down.

I live in the PNW and it is cloudy and not much sun here, mostly rain except from June-August.

I'm not a psychiatrist or psychologist. Can't help you there.

As someone a little bit older, with a more experience I'll just say that online dating is very limited - but online networking is a great thing for keeping up with folks. Talked to my first high school girlfriend from years back :)

Meeting people face to face or at activities is where its at.

You'reasian
Thanks I hope I can to this is not fun, I am pretty much a hermit and don't go anywhere cause I don't have any energy, I can't keep my house clean. I have a med check with my doctor this week.

I take it you play golf?

That's cool. Tried my hand at it. I suck at it...:laugh:

So what I am saying is even if you really try, you're probably not going to have a great chance of forming a healthy relationship with someone.

I have similar issues as you and I convinced myself that I would be able to snap out of it if I found someone that I really cared about that felt the same about me, but it just doesn't work that way.

I hope you can get over your depression and things work out.

I second this - do some more work on yourself first and try to address your issues. Dating can easily get messy in the kind of situation you are describing.

Good luck sorting it out!