How to make an Important decision regarding my Future?

...So I am finishing up my second year of graduate school for counseling psychology. My third year consists of practicum training where I have the opportunity to be out in the field, gaining experience with actual clients.

Today I received two offers for two very different practicum locations: One is at an agency (outside of my current city) , dealing primarily with adults and addiction. If I take this route, it leads me on the path of beginning my own private practice and working with a population I want to work with. From past students, I hear this is the "boot camp" of practicum sites, very rigorous, intense and great training and very structured. Many people have quit half way through because it was just too much for them

The second site is actually working at a hospital with Alzheimers patients nearing the end of life and with clients in recovery from major surgeries and other illness. The benefits of working here are: It is in the city I live in, many of my colleagues will be working with me, and I greatly enjoy the clinical director of whom i would have to do supervision with. It's not as intense as the other site, but also doesn't give me the same depth of training, and it is not a private practice model, although many people can go into private practice afterwards. There is little overall structure and I prefer structure.

I just don't know which way to go. what is the best way to make such an important decision? I keep flip flopping back and forth and have to make a decision within the next 4 days.

threebyfate

A practicum is intended to give you real, hands-on training, in the direction you want to go.

If you enjoy the kickstart of challenge, then pick the first one, since it's the direction you want to go, with the population you want to work with.

Practicums don't last forever and if you don't enjoy it, you'll know it's not the direction you want to go after you grad.