Finding it hard to adjust

Some background:

I'm 17, and recently graduated high school. I went to a private religious high school, which was entirely upper-class and white. I never really made any friends out of school, so you could say I've been living in a bubble all my life. I also, despite my best efforts, never had a girlfriend, and only went out on one or two dates with two girls. One I had no interest in, the other had no interest in me. I'm pretty shy, and more than a little insecure, so even talking to girls hasn't been easy for me.

I just started college. I'm taking summer classes at a community college before moving to a different one in the fall, about 8 hours away. I'm looking at college as a new start as far as dating goes, and I'm hoping I can get a taste of college this summer.

My problem is, I'm feeling a little uncomfortable and naive in this new setting. The majority of the people in my college are at least a few years older than me, and of some sort of minority group. I don't mean this in any racist way; I'm just not used to it.

I'm trying to talk to people, at the school, but I'm finding we don't have a lot of common ground. Talking about my life would make me sound like a snob; when they talk, I often feel like I have no idea what they are talking about. I don't go to parties often; I've never done drugs; I'm a virgin, in more than one sense.

I'm feeling pretty shy and alone here, but I don't know how to fix it. How can I acclimate to this new place, and make friends here easier?

(I hope you don't interpret from any of this that I'm a dick, or stuck up, or anything like that. I don't want to give that impression, though I sort of feel stuck up just by asking this question.)