is this crazy or what??? but the last two days on lexapro 2.5 mgs, i was on celexa 5 mgs but changed to lexapro for fewer side effects, i have felt absolutely wonderful and happy!

today though it seems to be causing me some anxiety because i worry about being bipolar 2 cause my dr. told me a couple years ago that i was but once my thyroid was treated i didn't have alot of the symptoms of it anymore.

but i know that an ssri can induce manic if one is bipolar so now because i feel so good i can't help but wonder if it is manic or the meds..

i feel an underlying anger at all this and i feel like punching something from frustration of not being able to just sit back and enjoy this wonderful feeling/mood.

i even have sweaty hands and diarrhea from the nervousness of worrying about how i am feeling along with just trying to tell myself in my mind that it is the meds helping me to feel good not manic..

geeeesh can anyone relate!!??

If you are feeling good,I think thats great.I know what your going through.I take a med for depression and if I forget to take it,I will all of the sudden feel depressed so I know it makes a big difference when I do take it.I take med for anxiety too,without it I feel panicky and scared to do things like being in crowds with lots of people would really cause me anxiety,now when I take it I feel a little more relaxed being in situations where Im being with lots of people such as work.

If you think anything or suspect anything that doesnt feel right talk to your doctor.Im glad your feeling good.

Patty

thaks for the reply. i know exactly what you mean about how you feel when you forget it a few days..

i try not to ever do that because i do not like that feeling at all..

take care, zingy

SSRI's can induce a manic state, even in people who are not bipolar. Usually it is called "hypomania," and it is not unusual at all as a side efect to the medication. But it should be addressed.

As you probably know, this hypomania is not exactly a good kind of "feeling good." It is more like a slightly wreckless high, feeling like you finally have permsiion to do things you never would have thought OK otherwise. Thsi is why you need to get this checked.

Be vary careful in this state. And by all means go to your doctor right away with this side effect from you SSRI. You may need an adjusted dosage or a change in meds.

But whatever you do, do NOT stop taking your meds abruptly. Only go off them under the supervision of your doctor.

If at all possible, go see a pyschiatrist (a doctor who specializes in these meds), or a general practicioner who is specialized in SSRIs. Surveys of general practice doctors in North America show that they often only have a little bit of knowledge in the area of deression and anxiety, and they often goof up in prescribing and adjusting the meds.

I hope that you will receive the specialized help that you deserve.

Good luck.

I AM FEELING so much more level headed today and not as happy but just more normal feeling..

maybe it was just some placebo effect or nervous anxiety at taking the new med..

either way i am glad that it is over! i do not for a minute think i have any bipolar condition, maybe more like come obsessive tendencies but not compulsions.

when i talk to my dr. again next week i will bring this all up and see what she thinks about it..

thanks for the advice carly.