Is it what we eat or is it stress?

Lately I've been breaking out with pimples more then usual.Awhile ago I would get one a week but I noticed Im breaking out with 3 or 4 every day.Does anyone think that eating lots of chocolate as some people say or greasy foods really cause this or would it be more of a stress thing? This is the first time I ever broke out with loads of pimples and before I never had a problem with pimples like I do now.

Whats a good skin cream that can clear this up? I know theres like Noxema and stuff but was wondering if there is anything better then that.

Thanks.

Patty

Hi Patty-

It could be a number of things- have you changed anything lately-diet, stress, environment, pre-menstrual related. I assume you are not pregnant.

I've never seen a realtionship w/ chocolate- but i do find that extra sugar can inflame a pimple (unless it's my imagination) and coconut oil does havoc on my skin from pina coladas to derivatives such as sodium lauryl sulfate, found in lathering shampoos.

After trying everything on the market- I am happy to say I have good skin now and rely on simple cheap Stridex pads w/ 2% salicylic acid now and then and making sure to wash off any make-up before bed-time. Any excessive washing or mixing products will make it worse.

Noxema never did anything but make my skin break out worse...

• 2 weeks later...

You are what you eat. You don't need to read many scientific articles to know that eating/drinking too much of:

Pork, salami, chocolate (anything that has chocolate), bacon, coca cola (yeah, coca cola), zambon, alcohol, french fries and fried food in general produce spots on the face.

Note that the diet will not make spots disappear, this applies to those that don't have spots and want to avoid making new ones. Losing spots requires pills in conjuction with a diet, and after you are cured you are advised to keep the diet the doctor gave you.

YOU WRITE: "Pork, salami, chocolate (anything that has chocolate), bacon, coca cola (yeah, coca cola), zambon, alcohol, french fries and fried food in general produce spots on the face."

Would Godiva chocolates containing pecans, almonds or macadamia nuts be an exception?

Actually, every study I've read about says that food does NOT cause zits. Unless, I guess, you smear your fries all over yourself.

If you were what you ate, you'd be green when you ate broccoli. It just doesn't work like that. Talk to a pharmacist who will be able to direct you to the latest and best zit cleansers. If you get a really bad case, see a dermatologist. By the way, it was my dermatologist who first told me that food does not cause zits.

Very funny, PW.

That's common sense, not things I learned from a web-site. I used to be very spotty 2 years ago, I went to a dermatologist, he gave me pills and a diet that was loosely what I described. I still follow this diet to this day, not eating/drinking too much of the *cr-p* in the list. And my face is like wax.

Of course, one needs to listen to his/her doctor and only the doctor on such subjects, and not some guy posting his opinions over the net, but what I said has some valitity - consuming too much of those substances is bad not only for your weight, but for your face as well.

Or is it cruel to say to Americans ''don't drink Coca Cola but prefer natural juice?'' ;)

HokeyReligions

Well, I know what some studies say about chocolate, fried foods, etc. and I know what I know.

How those foods cause or worsen acne or other skin blemishes I don't know -- but I know that they do - In a lot of people.

Lay off the chocolate, sugar, fried foods and I'll bet your skin will begin to clear up.

I think the technicality is saying that chocolate doesn't cause acne -- but maybe it amplifies it, or feeds acne or something, so in effect - the acne is worse after eating chocolate, sugar, fried foods, etc. It's semantics.

Research Studies & FDA be gone! I've seen it for myself and the proof is in the "pudding"

Umm... that would be chocolate pudding for me please, oh and pass the stridex! :bunny:

chocolate and fried food do not cause acne at all, as long as you have a well-balanced diet, sometimes interrupted by those things.

of course if your body isn't getting the vitamins & minerals that it needs, the skin doesn't get what it needs, hence it breaks out.

that's my view based on personal experience,

-yes

PS OH! also, sometimes ppl get pimples because they're about to have a cold. sometimes the cold won't even happen, but the pimples do, so dressing warm is a must!

PPS and don't forget to clean your skin morning-n-night, with gentle soap (no alcohol or oil-containing yucky liquids!)

PPPS I heard fresh carrot juice every day does wonders to skin colour. Never tried it! Don't know what kind of wonders.

PPPPS Rubbing fresh veggies on your skin is good, too. Like cucumbers (the inside, obviously, you want the juice). Or grapes - they'll make it softer.

God, I have so much junk in my head!

-yes

Stress makes me break out.

Also like some other posts, I heard that it's not the food so much that causes the pimples but what gets on your hands and so if you touch your face a lot you get them. So I guess in a way the food is causing them. :p

I find green leafy vegetables and tons and tons of water work well for the skin. And even some moderate exercise like walking! And of course, sleep.

Pimples or no pimples I'll never give up chocolate.

• Author

Thanks for the replies.I'll just sit and relax every evening with some cucumbers on my face and I bet I'll look a little funny! lol Whatever works!But I just bought some Noxema that Im using morning and night time.And I like the feeling after you have used it, you really feel clean and theres such a refreshing feeling,like you can actually feel it working. :)

Patty

• 2 months later...

I know alot about pimples and how they work and how to prevent them.

For one don't touch them otherwise you make em bigger.

Drink lots of water each day.

Magnesium powders will absorb the oils from the foods you eat

Also rumored that hormones control oil flow and you get more pimples. lol

When you start to sweat wash your face but dont rub.

Many creams give more oil becareful.

There are some products that help but I would suggest magneseum powders.

My nephew looked like he had a pizza painted on his face and now he doesn't get any after I visited him haha.

ur welcome,