SoulSearch_CO

Do you think it's possible for somebody that is inherently UNdisciplined to change? I'll be honest, I tend to be lazy and a procrastinator. I'm a creature of comfort, to be sure. My living space tends to get cluttered (although NOT dirty...I'm not into dirt) and I'm unorganized.

Is it possible to change? I can get onto a workout program and be KICKING butt and absolutely loving it. Then life comes up, I may miss a workout here and there, frequency starts decreasing, I give up completely. Same thing goes for eating healthier. And I procrastinate getting things taken care of in my life that are unpleasant.

I tell myself I'd LIKE to change, but based on results, obviously I don't want it that badly. So the original question still stands... can someone like this change permanently if given the tools to do so? And if they can...which tools would you recommend?

I was looking at reading some Steven Covey - any comments? Obviously I know just reading is not going to make me change, but I love being armed with knowledge.

My tool is to pick one positive thing and one negative thing to do each day, in addition to normal ADL's. I actually have a list on the kitchen desk, which I reclaimed after my wife left. Since I'm a lefty, all the good stuff is on the left; all the bad, the right. The divorce stuff is on the right. An example of a good thing would be to call a friend to make plans for the weekend. One thing per day :)

My impetus is different than yours, as emotionally stressful things tend to overwhelm me, hence my tool of only doing one per day. Life still goes on and, surprisingly, all the painful stuff doesn't have to be done in one day. The sun still comes up; the birds still chirp.

Yes, you can change.

Try to join to those people whose attitude aren't like yours. You'll be surprised that your thinking wouldn't be like your "inherited" attitude.

ThePocketface

Yes, you can stop being a procrastinator; all you have to do is put off procrastinating ;)

Seriously though, it is simply breaking an old habit and making a new one. All that matters is that you take consistent action every day for a significant period of time. I've hear it takes somewhere between 21-30 days to create a habits, so I suggest a length of time comparable to that.

I recently listened to the audio version of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Covey, and I highly recommend it and think you will find it very valuable.