Hello!

I have always had great trouble discipling myself. This ranges anything from letting my moods take over what I'm doing - to not getting the simplest of tasks done - to spending money on ridiculous unnecessary things.

Does anyone have any great bits of advice???

Thanks!:cool:

Write lists.

Every 5 things, write a personal reward.

do not claim this reward until those things are done!

(And no, I don't mean things like, 'trim nose hair, move ornaments on mantelpiece round, scratch bum....'!)

I mean big things. Challenges.

Things you normally find hard to accomplish!

Just ticking them off the list makes me proud!

Dont say out loud to others what you are intending to do for the day. Just do it - especially when planning chores. In essence, allow yourself to get into the momentum of things without lots of expectations. We all spend money on silly things sometimes, this is only a problem if it eats into a budget. As long as your bills are paid, spend your money how you want, I say. Unless your spending habits really are shockingly silly!

Not sure what to suggest about your moods. Sometimes we have to train ourselves to just switch off and get things done which we dont like to do. If I know that I have to do something I really would prefer to avoid I weigh up the benefits. If I really dont want to do it, I dont do it. If I have to do it then I just get on with it usually with a plan of something nice to look forward to afterwards. Often now, I just get on with (whatever) in order to get it out of the way.

If you are a daydreamer (I am) then maybe your daydreams are trying to tell you something? Maybe there are changes which you need to be focusing on which will change everything for the better?

BubblyPopcorn

Ooof its a toughie, especially if your someone like me and I tend to be on the emotional side. What I've been learning to do is when I start to "feel" in whatever situation I am in, I first try to pinpoit the exact emotion that is present, and then I attempt to seperate it from whatever decision I am faced with. I did a volunteer dog walk the other day where you pick a dog from the animal shelter and spend the whole day walking it, etc. I wanted to take this dog home with me so bad (his name was bootsies) and he was just the sweetest dog. But I had to put aside my selfish "wants" and think about what's best for bootsies and that I can't afford him and he was a big dog, my place is too small for him plus I already have other pets so it wouldn't be fair to him.

I hope bootsies gets a nice home though :(

You just have to realize the long-term / short term benefits of having discipline. I don't know if it requires getting used to or training...but some people have it down easy.

It's about having the respect for yourself to do what you know what needs to be done - not about making excuses, procrastination (telling yourself you'll do it after this one, the next one), organizing your schedule/routines, separating good habits from bad ones, your lifestyle. One's lifestyle is directly attributed to bad habits and poor discipline, it's a paradox.

Working at a job at night and sleeping during the day is a lifestyle, that you choose...it can lead to unhealthy habits. Eating fatty foods is a lifestyle you choose. To do or not to do certain activities is a lifestyle you choose. To have a philosophy of how you want to live your life is strongly influenced by discipline.

No one can tell you how to live it, not even me. You have to choose for yourself.

• Author

Thanks for the great advice - I know at the end of the day I have to make conscious decisions. This may sound weird but I seem to have this 'voice' in my head that can talk me out of anything. I've always said that I wish I didnt think so much and that I had an 'off button' for my mind so I could stop thinking. Its like its sabotaging everything!

Does this make sense to anyone????

Everyone has the little angel on one shoulder and the little devil on the other. If the little devil chooses to try to assert himself, just push him off your shoulder.

Don't worry. It won't hurt him. Guaranteed, he'll always come back! :laugh:

Ruby Slippers
Write lists.

Yes. I am finding this very helpful lately. In fact, just today I bought two dry erase boards -- one in my office for a daily to-do list (I run my own biz and am trying to hit certain daily productivity goals), and one in the kitchen for recording my food and exercise each day (trying to get in excellent shape again). Seeing the goal every time you walk in the room helps keep it in the front of your mind. It really does work for me.