Solariums...BAD BAD BAD!!

lovestruck234

NOOOOOO!!!! One of my friends is going to the solarium today!!

I don't want her to go! Solariums are so bad for you!! Except I was just on the phone to her and she told me that some of them aren't?? It depends which one you go to??

I don't buy it. If she REALLY wants a tan...put on a lather of sun block....go down to the beach and GET OUTSIDE for a while! She complains that she's so pale, but she never gets outside and does stuff outside.

Me, I surf surf surf. I have always worn sun block though. Since I was a little girl. Mum always put it on me and my sisters. And I'm still brown. See, she believes you have to get burnt to go brown. Ahhahaa NO YOU DON'T!! I suppose it's a "benifit" for me seeing as I have olive skin, but I REALLY DON'T WANT HER TO GO!!!

So I want a show of hands who thinks solariums are bad and who thinks they're good??

HokeyReligions

Mental image of the last Final Destination movie where the two girls get burned to death in the tanning machines!

I've never been to one, but some of my co-workers go once a week on their lunch hour.

I guess you guys call them 'solariums'. In North America, a solarium is a sunroom - as in a room with windows that the sun comes in. There are companies that sell add-on glass solariums that are sort of like greenhouses.

I have sensitive skin, I never really tanned, and when I had what passed for a tan (kinda pale beige), I looked awful. I never enjoyed lying in the sun anyway - a hot and boring occupation if ever there were one. So I'm sure not about to go into a tube and have UV rays shot into my skin :laugh:

• Author
lovestruck234

I've never been to one, but some of my co-workers go once a week on their lunch hour.

And how do they look? Would you describe it as them looking better because they have a bit more colour on their skin? I wouldn't!! Who cares what colour skin you have???!!!

I like them, because they make my skin darker and closer to the color of these dark moles I have that always seem to be getting bigger. So they don't contrast as much. It only takes a few hours per week.

• Author
lovestruck234
I live in south Florida and I swear to God there's a tanning salon in every shopping plaza. WTF?

:rolleyes: It's just ridiculous that some girls go to such extremes....

I was watching A Current Affair (a news program) a little while ago, probably last year, and they did a story on these guys that had skin cancer and you should have seen it. It was so grose. One guy had this scabby, dark-looking big rash thing that spread from up on his shoudler blade, right the way down his arm....*shudder*...it was so grose. It looked like something off Pirates of the Carribean 2 with those grose sea creatures...

Your skin is waaaay too important. I was at the beach one day, laying on my towel with the bf, and I was getting up every half an hour to put sun block on. He's like "what are you doing?" I'm like "not getting cancer"...

I have a Great Aunty who is almost 80 and she has the most beautiful skin. I didn't know her age till not long ago and I though she was about 60. She has awesome hands, not one sun spot on them. She has really nice nails too.

Cos she never really went out in the sun as a young girl, she always had inside jobs like working in a sewing factory etc.

I want to turn out like my aunty!!

silentcharon

Yeah... I don't go to tanning booths either. I stick to self tanners.

My friend told me the other day she wanted to hit the booths and I said NO!!!

I decided to hit the booths when I was around 17- on my third time, I didn't really get tanned anywhere but I ended up burning the spot between my boobs. It was GROSS- it ended up into scabs, you know how you'd fall and hit your knees on the pavement, it'd look bloody for a while then turn into thick scabs? That's what it looked like.

From there on, I never went to one again. It's not worth it, the pain was ... my god, painful! I couldn't even put sunblock on it without wincing. I couldn't wear a bra for weeks!

It ain't worth it!

I do both. When I am traveling or on-site with my clients in some other state I use tanning bed so it keeps my tan uniform.

The rest of the time it's the old fashion way....SPF, raft, pina colada, oh, and the water!

Grew up in FL and surfed or was out on the best at least 4x a week...go figure.

• Author
lovestruck234

I decided to hit the booths when I was around 17- on my third time, I didn't really get tanned anywhere but I ended up burning the spot between my boobs. It was GROSS- it ended up into scabs, you know how you'd fall and hit your knees on the pavement, it'd look bloody for a while then turn into thick scabs? That's what it looked like.

From there on, I never went to one again. It's not worth it, the pain was ... my god, painful! I couldn't even put sunblock on it without wincing. I couldn't wear a bra for weeks!

:sick: *shudder*...I'm going to tell my solarium obsessed friend about this one....

silentcharon

Please do. It was a terrible mistake, something I'm not willing to repeat. It's bad enough I smoke already, why add tanning to the list? No thank you.

• Author
lovestruck234

So I picked her up yesterday afternoon from the beauty salon...

When she got in the car and sat down she winched.

"What's the matter" I asked.

"don't ask" she snapped back.

Turnd out her a$$ got burnt like a b*tch, also her back, and also her boobs...

Ha ha ha ha. "Didn't you use the cream?" I asked.

"She kinda just shoved me in there and told me what to do...she didn't offer any cream" she told me.

AHhhhaahahaha but she says she's goign to go back again next week. She paid for a 10 go session. You get 10 goes in it and it costs $99. WHAT?? I wouldn't pay that much to stand out in the sun...

Anyway, she's the silly one here, not me.

"Pain is beauty" she told me when she left the car. Ha ha ha ha ha....

:laugh::rolleyes: ...

HokeyReligions

They can be beneficial for people with skin conditions like psoriosis {sp}, but I don't they are that great as far a beauty. The girls at work seem to like it though and if it makes them feel better about their looks.....

The woman I had such problems with a few months ago called in to work and said she fell asleep in the tanning bed and burned her boobies so she had to work at home topless *giggle giggle giggle* and she sent that email to all the men too so they wouldn't be mad at her (she confessed the latter to another co-worker) but most of the men just thought she was stupid.

• Author
lovestruck234
They can be beneficial for people with skin conditions like psoriosis {sp}, but I don't they are that great as far a beauty. The girls at work seem to like it though and if it makes them feel better about their looks.....

Well that's what i was thinking as well. People do some weird things to make themselves feel good, so each to their own I suppose. I jump 15ft in the air on a motorbike and it makes me feel good, so yeah, each to their own.

The woman I had such problems with a few months ago called in to work and said she fell asleep in the tanning bed and burned her boobies so she had to work at home topless *giggle giggle giggle* and she sent that email to all the men too so they wouldn't be mad at her (she confessed the latter to another co-worker) but most of the men just thought she was stupid.

Ha ha ha ha ha. I would have wrote back "SUCKED IN FRIED CHICKEN!!"

Lol not really.

Candied-Heart

I have been to the Solarium before. I used to go for approx. every two days for like 5 mins a time with the cream, and I SPFed the life out of a dark mole and my nipples and other sensitive areas. Then I would [with advice of a very good owner] up the time in the booth by a few minutes every few weeks til I was in there for 10-12 mins every now and then.

I went about a couple of months before summer because I wanted to be brown by the time the heat came through, and then I just hung out in the sun for Summer. My Pros and Cons to Solariums are:

Cons

• If you don't listen or have a bad owner, they may lead you to be badly burnt
  • I ended up with a fair few more [light, small] freckles on my upper back and arms due to lots of solarium use
  • It's extremely easy to dry out your skin, so you need to keep it hydrated and moist after sessions.

Pros

• I got a very even, deep tan slowly over time which lasted well after summer and never burnt
  • I was looking very closely at my body in that time probably why I didn't have a traumatic experience
  • I would say it was beneficial for ther reasons I went, though I must say I don't suport those who go every week of the year. It's about limiting the risks.

These days I don't and won't go back to the booths. This is honestly because I do not like the amount of freckling I had started to develop and now use a combination of spray tanning, DIY creams and normal SPF + sunchine combination If I am feeling a little too pale. If I was guaranteed no more freckles [which I don't seem to get in normal sunshine] I would go back, but no.

I understand people's confidence seems to be heightened when looking 'tanned' and it's understandable. I also think it's your friend's choice but she should be very cautious and speak properly with the owner, she didn't get very good service!

I am shocked that no one has mentioned skin cancer... I have had melanoma (the most severe skin cancer) for 11 years. Melanoma is mostly caused by the UV rays that the sun lets out, although it can be at least partially hereditary. Tanning beds (or solariums) release something like 3 or 4 times the amount of UV rays than the sun, this is why you get tan faster going to tanning beds rather than sitting out in the sun. One other scary fact is that if melanoma gets bad enough it usually spreads to the blood, this is leukemia... leukemia is basically a death sentence, there is not a whole lot doctors can do at this point, unless they catch it early or you are lucky.

Sorry if I am a little adamant about this topic but I have had to live with it for the last 11 years, and I don't think that other people should have to as well. If you want more info let me know or look up The Skin Cancer Foundation's website (www.skincancer.org) there is a link about tanning beds, I don't know that this is completely reliable because I have read several studies from Harvard and John Hopkins that don't agree with most of the info.

UVA + UVB= Cancer.

You would really have to be out of your mind to engage in such an acitivity with all we know now...

And if you have a melanoma removed, it's not just a scar of a couple of millimetres that you have on your back. Sometimes they have to take out big chunks of flesh that look like a shark has torn into you.

Jeez, why do you think that the people at L'Oreal, clarins, Estee Lauder etc spend so much R & D money developing fake tanners?

Candied-Heart

And I said I DO use these fake tanners. I was offering another side to the topic, which is allowed especially considering people being so anti things without any experience. If you don't want to do it, fine. But others that have acted responsibly and have remained healthy have a valuable response to put forward. WITHOUT telling others what to do like the others posting here.

YES people can develop cancer from any UV exposure. YES solariums are bad for you if used inappropriately and if you have the wrong skin type etc [read: my previous post where I noted my negatives from my experience] but it's a personal choice and it's really annoying when one person preaches over and over again to their friends when it is a personal choice. Some people go beyond caring to the reams of nosey for whichever reasons.

But let the flaming begin!! :p

YES people can develop cancer from any UV exposure. YES solariums are bad for you if used inappropriately and if you have the wrong skin type etc [read: my previous post where I noted my negatives from my experience] but it's a personal choice and it's really annoying when one person preaches over and over again to their friends when it is a personal choice. Some people go beyond caring to the reams of nosey for whichever reasons.

But let the flaming begin!! :p

I kind of agree with CH here. It's a personal choice. And while sunbeds can cause problems if used inappropraitely, as CH says, they can also be fine if used correctly and all the appropriate warning and considerations are heeded.

Trouble is that people often aren't given the correct instruction on how to use a sunbed. Or otherwise they are unsupervised sunbeds and they go on for 15 mins the first time when they are milky white!! :rolleyes: Of course that's going to burn you!

I am guessing that the last post was directed at me... and what I didn't mention is that I have never been sunbrunt in my life, I have worn sunblock every time I have been outside, and I have worn subnlock everyday, year round since I was diagnosed. My doctors are still confused as to how a 9 year old ended up with Melanoma with no family history and very little sun exposure.

I am sorry if you think that I am telling people what to do, but that was not my intention. I have been involved with skin cancer awareness activities in my area and have encountered many people who do not think that skin cancer is a risk at all, that once you have the mole removed it is gone. I was not trying to offend anyone and I am sorry if I did.

• Author
lovestruck234

Shoegirl...I am deeply sorry to hear of such a traumatic experience happening to a 9 year old!! Wow..that's incredible!! (In a bad way, of course!)

As I have stated in many other posts regarding skin and the sun, my mum has made me wear sunblock from when I was 5...(which is when I started Little Nippers...it's like a surf lifesaving club)...Every single day since then I have worn sunblock. My friends always get the wrong idea that the colour of my skin is brought on by the sun...some of it, yes, maybe, but I was born with olive skin...not much I can do about that. The fact that I surf everyday is probably a factor, and that I'm out in the sun everyday, but I don't deliberatley lay in the sun for hours on end. The fact that I surf is because it's an interest to me...that's it.

I read the link you provided ShoeGirl...it was no eye-opener to me...a monkey would know that a sloaruim IS bad for you!! It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out!!

My friend has been going every couple of days since her last visit and is looking a little browner....meh...I personally reckon she looked better with her lighter skin tone.

Everybody is entitled to doing things that make them feel better about themselves...I surf and motorbike ride to make me feel better...it's just the ones that do things such as tannign beds that are more the fool for it...it's their problem, I supose!