Great Gazoo

I was just wondering if anybody has had Genetic testing. I had mine done almost 3 weeks ago. They said it would probably take a month. So I am kinda nervous and curious at the same time. For one we will get to find out if we, me and wife, will be able to have a baby that will actual survive, that in itself is a big deal and then there is the part about knowing some of your future. If anyone has had the test done I would love to hear what you think.

amaysngrace

I got my dad this gift for Father's Day. The one from Nat'lGeo? Is that what you're talking about? He sent it in, but said it'll only read from one side of his family, so he chose his father's side.

Is this what you mean or is there another one out there?

• Author
Great Gazoo

I meant the test where they take a blood sample and grow it and then break down your DNA. Is that what you meant because I got no idea what Nat'lgeo is, lol.

amaysngrace

No, the Nat'l Geographic one is where they do DNA from a swab of saliva. I think what you had done is more detailed. Since it was blood. But his is going to be kind of cool, too, for the price. They will be able to trace his ancestory back 400 years or so and keep it in a central data base so as new info is found, it will be stored in it and he will have access.

Did you get this done for the sole purpose of having a baby?

• Author
Great Gazoo

Yes the sole purpose is about having a baby. The government here will pay to have this test done if you lose three babies from miscarriage or still borns. They let the etopic pregnacy slide and counted it as three. The test is either done in Toronto or at the Mayo clinic. They will look for any reason why all the problems. They say if there is a genetic factor the pregnancy will usually never make it past the third trimester. At this point we need to know because it is too hard to keep going through. At the same time I will know if I have a increased chance of different diseases.

Your test does sound cool, that was a great idea for a present.I guess they don't look into the DNA for diseases or anything? I have read in the U.S. insurance companies can use these test against you if a disease is found. Here thats something I don't have to worry about.