I would say I have an okay body. I'm not fat, but I have big thighs. When I sit down they just..UGH FAT..they squish out and look so gross. I've been working out and doing many exercises for my bottom and legs for about a month now, but haven't seen a change..does anyone have anything for me so I can get cute lil legs??

Unfortunately, the first place you tend to put on fat is usually the last place where you'll lose it. Exercise will help tone the muscles in your legs, but as long as there is a layer of fat over the muscle, you won't see the results you want. I'd suggest focusing on a healthy eating lifestyle that promotes nutrition AND weight loss.

I have a similar problem with my stomach--the rest of my body is proportionate, but any extra weight goes straight to my stomach. At 5'6", my healthy weight range is 125 to 150 pounds, but to get a flat stomach, I have to exercise AND watch what I eat. All the sit-ups and ab work in the world weren't going to flatten my stomach unless I also lost weight. I had to lose enough weight to put me at the shallow end of that weight range (I went from 158 to 130) to get close to the abs that I wanted.

So, the answer is, you have to eat fewer calories each day, in addition to exercising, in order to lose the fat. Exercise alone will improve, but probably won't completely fix your problem area (although it will help your health). You'll also have to lose weight and get down to a point where your body begins to burn the fat off your legs, rather than from elsewhere.

At least, that's been my experience. I was a healthy weight once I got down to 145, but I still had a tubby stomach. I had to lose 15 more pounds to get that flat stomach--at which point my face has started to look a bit gaunt. My stomach still pooches a LITTLE, but at this point, I know I shouldn't lose any more weight for health reasons, so I can now accept my stomach the way it is. I suspect you might face the same challenge.

Hey itsover,

Try doing Plyometrics. This type of exercise really impacts the body and will make significant changes that you are looking for. Try this link to get a better understanding of what I am referring to: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

Also, running steps is very effective. It lifts your glutes and slims the quads. When I train for a competition, this is the only way to get my legs in show shape. A friend of mine decided to run the steps with me last summer (she's larger and was looking to get fit) and she is hooked! Once running the steps is easier, incorporate a few runs up and down the steps and than jump rope for a 60-90 seconds...than back up the steps...do this for a least 30 minutes. You may need to start out slow depending on your fitness level but try to work up to a minumum of 30 minutes every other day. It really works!! And give those Plyometrics a try....you will be pleased with the results.

FoolishDriver
Also, running steps is very effective.

I don't have a gym membership or steps in my house. Does anyone have ideas how to find steps to use for exercising?

Hey FD,

You don't need a gym membership to do plyometrics. You can do many of the exercises right in your home. You may want to invest in a step like one used in step aerobics. This will suffice. Try the lateral jumps on the webpage I mentioned earlier. Also, I run the steps at a local high school...i use the bleachers.

FoolishDriver

Thanks BBE. I can try those jumps. Will also keep an eye out for any public steps I may see! I hope the jumps won't hurt my knees though. I used to run outdoors on pavement until my knees started to suffer. That's why I wish I had a membership because using the stairmaster and other machinery are less harmful on the knees, the padding of the machines absorbs the shock impact. Do you agree?