"Natural" versus traditional remedies

slubberdegullion

Sometimes I just don't know what to believe.

My ex used to swear that taking echinacea at the onset of a cold would help her get over it quicker. But, from what I saw, she was just as sick and just as miserable whether she took the tablets or not.

Other friends and acquaintances are big boosters of so-called natural products, so I figured I'd give them a go.

I have eczema, so I did some research on natural healing methods. I tried acupuncture, acupressure, magnet therapy, a whole host of very expensive (and very smelly) herbal remedies, something called Emu Oil, another extract called Tea Tree Oil, and a few others. I followed the instructions to the letter, and noted the results.

In short, their effectiveness (over the long term) was nada. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Bupkus.

So I went back to my regular doc, who referred me to a dermatologist, who wrote me a scrip for a strong steroid.

It worked, and now the eczema is under control. (It never entirely goes away, but it can be managed.)

Drug companies are rightly criticized for their marketing to patients and doctors as ways of boosting their profit margins.

What's often forgotten, though, is that purveyors of supplements also have the same financial aims as drug companies: to make as much money as possible.

One of the big differences, though, is that pharmacuticals (sp?) require extensive testing and proof of safety and effectiveness. The herbal industry has consistently rejected calls for similar testing procedures, and markets their wares under the guise of "food supplements," which don't require testing.

Recent double-blind and repeated studies have shown that, for instance, echinacea is no more effective at treating a cold than sugar pills. The latest one was in July 2005 (http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/109/109218.htm?z=1728_00000_1000_tn_07)

What's even more troubling is that a 2003 study found that about half of the 59 echinacea products tested did not even contain any echinacea at all. (http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/163/6/699)

Emu oil, some smelly goop that I tried to help control my eczema, has not been found to be of any benefit at all.

Not only are some of these herbal remedies misleading or outright frauds, some of them can be lethal. Ephedra is one such herb, sold as a supplement to promote weight loss, increase athletic ability and energy. Unfortunately, it can lead to high blood pressure, stroke and/or heart attack. (http://nccam.nih.gov/health/alerts/ephedra/consumeradvisory.htm)

So, my experience with so-called natural remedies has been fraught with fraudulent claims and expensive, ineffective supplements.

What's your experience been like?

Yeah, you just have to be careful. Not all natural remedies work for everyone and you really have to do your research before you take anything (like you say, ephedra is natural and potentially deadly)

New research that's in on echinacea does say that it has no effect on colds, contrary to popular belief. Actually, chicken soup is something that has shown to ease cold symptoms in a trial.

However, other research show that other natural remedies do have some effect--Sam-E and St. John's Wort on depression, for instance.

Like any medication, people have to read up on things a LOT and do their homework on alternative remedies. I don't really do the "hard stuff" (gingko biloba and the like), but aloe vera and Vitamin E are always in my medicine cabinet for any skin ailments (though, like you, they didn't work for eczema! Had to go get the prescription stuff for that!).

Don't discount the effectiveness of all natural remedies! They've helped a lot of people.

Of course nothing is really 'natural'. Unless you've got a mouthful of leaves, whatever you're taking is unnatural. For that matter, many of our 'non-natural' meds are 'natural' when you think about it. Aspirin originated in tree bark. Penicillin is mould at its heart.

I don't take anything, medicinal or 'natural', until I've seen enough reputable studies behind it. So, for instance, the other day I looked into something new being touted as a wonder aid for arthritis called MSM. The science sites are not at all impressed by it; it's not had anywhere near the necessary stringent studies done on it to determine its effectiveness or safety. OTOH, fish oil and glucosamine have been studied a great deal and all the information about them both is very positive. Fish oil, (well, really Omega 3) is turning out to be a very important supplement.

So the bottom line is research, research, research.

also, would it be fair to say it depends on the person as well?

Some things might work wonders for some people and no too good for others. So need to research what works for you as an individual?

also, would it be fair to say it depends on the person as well?

Some things might work wonders for some people and no too good for others. So need to research what works for you as an individual?

Yes. Because we're all different biologically, we do react differently to these things but I certainly wouldn't try something that's not been tested and studied whether or not there are people who swear by it. There are plenty of things which appear to fix one condition but create other serious conditions which don't present until the damage has been done.