Does anyone have carpal tunnel syndrome? Or arthritis in your arms?

CautiouslyOptimistic

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists two years ago when I had a nerve conduction study for another ailment in my elbow (ulnar nerve entrapment--had surgery). At the time I had no symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome so I was surprised at that diagnosis. Still not sure if I do have symptoms. But I'm on a laptop almost constantly in daylight hours because I'm self-employed and work a ton.

A little less than a year ago I developed what I thought was tennis elbow in my left elbow. I thought I just strained it at the gym. Well, it has not gone away (despite not working it out at all), and now it has "spread" to my right elbow for the last two months. So now I can barely lift anything with either arm. I have to plan grocery trips around when I have my kids so they can bring the groceries in, they have to carry my laundry up and down the steps, scooping the litter box is painful, lifting a frying pan, I have very little grip strength, it wakes me from sleep.....it's awful. The pain is definitely in an outside joint of my elbows (different from what I had surgery for) and also in my forearms. But not in my wrists.

Since January 2018 I do not have health insurance, but I participate in a healthcare sharing ministry that does not cover pre-existing conditions (i.e. carpal tunnel syndrome). So, I have not seen a doctor because I'm too afraid of that being the diagnosis and not really being able to do anything about it since I can't afford surgery on two arms (not to mention missing work).

Has anyone had pain like this? Does it sound like it could be from the carpal tunnel syndrome? Or something different? Arthritis??

Hi CO, my carpal tunnel didn't hurt my wrists: It caused general hand weakness and shooting pains on the inside of my forearm would wake me from my sleep. I've also had tennis elbow from too much sewing/crochet. And yes, I know what it is to not be able to lift a tray from an oven.

The positive is that I was able to fix both with help from a physiotherapist. Both issues come back from time to time if my posture is off or I over work my hands, but they fix me again and send me on my way.

If the shooting forearm pains are what's waking you, try sleeping with a hand brace which stops you from curling your hands as you sleep. If you want to try the brace idae before you buy: as you're going to bed, roll a face washer and grasp it in your hand (thumb under, fingers on top) the idea is that the washer is rolled thickly so that it keeps your hand mostly open as you sleep. Then wrap your hand in a conforming bandage. See how that works.

• Like 1

I had both tennis elbow on one arm and golfers elbow on the other but at different times.

Each took about 6 months to heal and each time I had to use a brace/strap.

The strap I used is "ACE Brand Custom Dial Elbow Strap"

Go to Amazon and search for it.. it's got a dial to adjust the pressure on the tendon to change the pressure point it rubs.

I also have carpal tunnel.. been on computers since the 80's.. but the numbness while sleeping is the biggest issue I have..

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic

The strap I used is "ACE Brand Custom Dial Elbow Strap"

I do have one of these and was using it on the left arm, but it really didn't seem to be helping. Maybe I should get another and be more consistent about it on both arms. Did you wear them while sleeping? I feel like I need something while sleeping to prevent me from curling my arms into myself.

I've never even heard of golfer's elbow!

• Like 1

I always had to adjust it till the pressure point was exactly on the tendon or it didn't work. that is how it works.. it changes the pressure on the tendon so if no longer rubs the bone.

No I didn't wear it while sleeping but put in on after a shower in the morning

Does your strength come back if you mess around putting pressure on the tendon with maybe your other hand.

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic

Does your strength come back if you mess around putting pressure on the tendon with maybe your other hand.

Yes, it seems to.

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
Sounds like you haven't gotten the strap on right yet..

That's what she said! ;):cool::lmao:

But seriously, I think you are probably right.

• Like 1

I've had all kinds since I type all the time, plus I've had nerve compression of the arms.

I highly recommend you go to a medical physical therapist because i have had great results from it.

With it being both elbows, maybe it is arthritis. But if you have ever fallen and landed on your elbow or if you have a habit of leaning on your elbows, it could be a compressed nerve. I had my compressed arm nerve a long time before treatment and they said the PT probably wouldn't work, but it did. It improved pretty quick and then it took a longer time to completely become a nonissue and regenerate correctly. They are simple exercises, but what nerve is compressed dictates what exercise to do or you can make it worse. So you have to get in physical therapy and let them test you and give you exercises. I did not have to go more than twice as I recall. I lived far away (it was free to me though) and just asked them to send the exercises home and I'd do them.

My carpal tunnel started getting real bad in the 90s from so much typing. A client of mine had had it and had surgery but she showed me simple stretching exercises to do daily and I still do them and it has kept it from getting bad. If the damage is too far gone, I guess there is that point, but I thought I was too far gone, and PT helped me.

If it's arthritis, you have to get antiinflammatories. I doubt the doc really knows what it is at this point. Nothing really helped my compression pain except PT. Also, do not be lifting a bunch of stuff or holding onto your phone for long periods. All repetitive movement causes joint and/or nerve damage.

• Like 1

I have had carpal tunnel for several years.

There are wrist splints specifically designed for carpal tunnel (mine was given to me by my General Practitioner that I would wear at night while sleeping and it definitely helps).

You can also try getting an over the counter tens unit to provide short-term pain relief along with using ice packs. The cost is anywhere from $20 and up and they are safe for home use.

Carpal tunnel can definitely spread to upper parts of the body (even to your neck). There's no way for us to definitively know the cause of your physical pain but if left untreated it does cause weakness and in severe cases, irreversible nerve damage.

You need to be wearing a wrist splint for sure.

• Like 1

Curling my arms into myself while sleeping is something which does trigger numbness. Again, a good straighten out with a physio can make an enormous difference.

• Like 2

^ Yes. This can even cause nerve compression. I had to change the way I sleep entirely and keep my arms more extended.

CautiouslyOptimistic , I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel over twenty years ago. I was a telephone operator at the time.

I didn't like the doctor and never went back and over the years it's gotten very painful.

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
^ Yes. This can even cause nerve compression. I had to change the way I sleep entirely and keep my arms more extended.

How did you go about doing this?

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
CautiouslyOptimistic , I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel over twenty years ago. I was a telephone operator at the time.

I didn't like the doctor and never went back and over the years it's gotten very painful.

Where do you feel your pain?

My pain is mostly on the palm of my hand underneath my thumb and I can't hold a styling brush long to blow dry my hair or flat iron it. All my problems came many years after my diagnosis. Also known as, abductor pollicis brevis muscle in hand anatomy.

Edited by skywriter
  • Like 1

Another who thinks you should consult a physio.

The elbow is not usually the joint to be hit by arthritis. Anything is possible, but osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis tend to affect the thumb, fingers, wrist, shoulder, hip, knee, back. I would hazard a guess that you have both carpel tunnel and some form a tendonitis in your elbow (like a tennis elbow).

It sounds like it is seriously affecting your function. A physio would be less expensive than a physician...

• Like 2
So, I have not seen a doctor because I'm too afraid of that being the diagnosis and not really being able to do anything about it since I can't afford surgery on two arms (not to mention missing work).

CO, I’m trying to understand the reasoning here. There’s no downside to getting an accurate diagnosis, whether or nor you get the recommended treatment.

Knowledge is power. There are simple exercises and techniques you can learn online and a $20 wrist brace might give you substantial relief, but first you need to know what the issue is. As well intentioned as your fellow posters might be, they’re no substitute for medical advice...

Mr. Lucky

major_merrick

I've got it in my right wrist, and also a related pain in the back of my hand. Partly from typing, and partly from rubbing off my GFs. Yes, you can get it that way!

Before I was pregnant, I took NSAIDs such as naproxen. I don't take any kind of pill or medication while pregnant, so the pain has gotten worse. I've relieved it a bit by using my non-dominant hand more and dictating some of my typing, but when you're trying to type numbers and you have a bit of an accent, it just doesn't work well.

I've never had an official diagnosis because I dislike doctors, but all the symptoms fit. Never tried any braces or anything because I dislike how they feel. Once I'm no longer pregnant, I'll probably go back to NSAIDs and see what happens. I haven't done much work the last 2-3 weeks, so it seems to be getting better with rest.

• Like 1
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
CO, I’m trying to understand the reasoning here. There’s no downside to getting an accurate diagnosis, whether or nor you get the recommended treatment.

Knowledge is power. There are simple exercises and techniques you can learn online and a $20 wrist brace might give you substantial relief, but first you need to know what the issue is. As well intentioned as your fellow posters might be, they’re no substitute for medical advice...

Mr. Lucky

I know. You're right. It doesn't make sense. Yesterday I was talking to a friend about it and told her if it's from carpal tunnel syndrome (pre-existing condition) and not something "new" I'll be depressed. She said, "well, you're already depressed because of the pain, so what's the difference?" :cool:

Shining One

I don't have carpal tunnel myself, but we've had to support various employees who do have it. I recommend getting yourself an ergonomic keyboard to plug into your laptop. They do take a bit of adjustment, but they seem to work. Even a regular keyboard at a good angle and some wrist support would be better than a laptop keyboard.

• Like 1
I recommend getting yourself an ergonomic keyboard to plug into your laptop. They do take a bit of adjustment, but they seem to work. Even a regular keyboard at a good angle and some wrist support would be better than a laptop keyboard.

My son works for a software company, and they require this set-up with wrist support at each work station. Too many workers comp claims in the past...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

At 25 I had a nerve damage test done for this.

It was hilarious the doctor had a hell of a time getting a response in both wrists I remember him saying he’s never had anyone that bad. He had to keep going higher and higher on both arms just get the feedback he wanted.

At the time I did have insurance. I worked for a military supplier of slings that carry the pallets below the helicopters. I was the head splicer. Hard to explain but in my history of video games computers and electronic repair, rope splicing was the most grueling of all the things I’ve done with my wrists and hands.

I opted out from surgery as I was told nothing else will help.

My brother did not as he’s a HVAC tech and had the same issues later in life.

His surgery was successful and we both just talked about it as he doesn’t show anymore signs.

I on the other hand paid attention. My big triggers were sleep, driving, and Not being conscious of how whatever I was doing was affecting my wrists.

The more I changed all of those things the better my wrists got over time.

I still to this day take about 5 min to get comfortable sleeping on my belly and adjust my hands so they are not directly under my pillows and so my shoulders are not in a straining position that will cause numbness in the morning.

I try to keep my hands at the 10 and 2 on the wheel when driving or at 6 so I’m not also stressing my wrists.

And when I work on cars or small electronics I try to be conscious of how I’m contorting my wrist repetitively.

I haven’t woke up and been numb till lunch time in years. I haven’t had a jolt the whole way up my shoulders in years as well. It took time to allow my body to heal but it did work.

• Like 1