LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Pain relief without alcohol or drugs

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:37 PM   #1
Established Member

Pain relief without alcohol or drugs

My husband got his leg broken in a car wreck today. Right now he's in the "pissed off" phase because his car is totaled, but he's going to be feeling the pain pretty soon. He gave up alcohol a while back, and has refused any prescriptions. Besides OTC non-addictive pain pills, is there anything I can do to help him? I'm thinking that Tylenol and Aleve aren't going to be much help. I suggested some feverfew and a glass of natural ginger ale, but he hasn't taken me up on it yet.
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:42 PM   #2
Established Member

For OTC meds, when taken together paracetamol and ibuprofen are quite efficient. Hospital gave it to my daughter when she broke her tailbone and it soothed her quite a lot.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:43 PM   #3
Established Member

How about a hot epsom salt soak in the tub? Youíll need to use quite a bit of salt, kind of like dump a bunch in there, but itís really very soothing.

Iím sorry to hear about the accident. I hope nothing is too serious.
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:16 PM   #4
Established Member

got to make sure some bones aren't broken that also need casting or an operation - after that, you could consider acupuncture or physical therapy.
Garcon1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:21 PM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
For OTC meds, when taken together paracetamol and ibuprofen are quite efficient. Hospital gave it to my daughter when she broke her tailbone and it soothed her quite a lot.

We're using acetaminophen and naproxen for OTC meds. It seems to work OK. He can't use ibuprofen - it totally changes his personality and mood. He has told me that the acetaminophen/naproxen combination works about as well as "half a hydrocodone." But that's at the maximum dose.

Thankfully, it was a clean break and the doc at the quick clinic was able to set it. Initially he crawled out of the car and was walking on it and swearing. He also has a concussion and a couple of deep cuts, but he's super mad about his car. Of course the insurance company will pay for it - the other driver ran a red light and smacked him right in the driver's door.

Just like me, he's a very "impatient" patient. He refused an ambulance and refused to let EMT's evaluate him, threatening legal action if they came within six feet of him. He stitched his cuts with a med kit from the trunk of his car while he sat on the side of the road talking to the cops. He refused a wheelchair at the clinic and insists on hopping around with a cane instead of using crutches. He refuses all prescriptions, and insisted on a splint instead of a cast so that he can cram his foot and ankle into his normal boots - AND GO TO WORK ON MONDAY. He just got back from a business trip, and insists that he has an important meeting to attend. He has a doctor's report and everything, and he could take a couple of weeks of paid sick leave, but he refuses. I have my work cut out for me.
major_merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:21 PM   #6
Established Member

Also if you double up the Aleve itís close to prescription strength. Iíve taken that before and it helps a lot with pain.
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:25 PM   #7
Established Member

Oh wow, just read your last post and yes you do have your work cut out for you.

He probably shouldnít be walking around on a broken leg. Iím no doctor but that just sounds like a bad time.
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:34 PM   #8
Established Member

I would remind him that walking around on a broken leg carries a real risk of leaving permanent deformity if the bones casted are under too much pressure to reform into the correct shape, and that problem, would leave him in pain forever. Best to let those bones heal properly. No amount of manliness and "tough it up" can make the reconstructive abilities of the body go faster than the bones ability to heal itself
Garcon1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:45 PM   #9
Established Member

Thankfully, he's not walking on it anymore. That was just after the accident. Adrenaline can do some amazing things. He told me he only realized it was broken when he felt something moving around inside his leg! Nope, he's just hopping around, which I think is bad enough. He has a high pain tolerance, and he has been stabbed and shot before. He's a big believer in "tough it out" but I've told him that he might get hurt worse. He says he MUST go to work, to set an example that duty comes first.

What is it about men that makes them worry about what others think before they worry about their own health? He actually griped about the "indignity" of going into the clinic with one boot off. I'm like...wow. It is a clinic....pretty sure they've seen worse. I love his sense of humor and his stubbornness, but it is driving me crazy today. Even in significant pain, it is still very clear....he's the one giving the orders. I wish he could let me take care of him!
Old 24th March 2019, 9:24 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_merrick View Post
He refused an ambulance and refused to let EMT's evaluate him, threatening legal action if they came within six feet of him. He stitched his cuts with a med kit from the trunk of his car while he sat on the side of the road talking to the cops. He refused a wheelchair at the clinic and insists on hopping around with a cane instead of using crutches. He refuses all prescriptions, and insisted on a splint instead of a cast so that he can cram his foot and ankle into his normal boots - AND GO TO WORK ON MONDAY. He just got back from a business trip, and insists that he has an important meeting to attend. He has a doctor's report and everything, and he could take a couple of weeks of paid sick leave, but he refuses. I have my work cut out for me.
MM, is this behavior you endorse? Doesn't just sound like "boys will be boys" to me...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 9:30 PM   #11
Established Member

Thing to remember about Tylenol, take it twice a day consistently while this is going on. Its effectiveness increases some in about 3 days, builds up. I didn't know that but a dentist had me do it ahead of getting a wisdom tooth out and it really helped.
Old 25th March 2019, 3:28 AM   #12
Established Member

I'm a pharmacist in the UK- I work in a NHS hospital on wards- I don't dispense any medications as my role is clinical- and I'm not biased by being paid from the private sector or drug companies.

I really do recommend regular analgesia- paracetamol/acetaminophen 1g four times a day regularly- it is safe to take at the maximum dose consistently. This will give a level of baseline pain control. And you can take the naproxen too- 250mg three to four times a day- make sure that is taken with food to avoid any gastric irritation.

Even if your husband is insisting on working- make sure he rests when he gets home and doesn't continure dashing about.

Maybe he could try a TENS machine?

I hope he feels better soon
Penguin_hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 9:04 AM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcon1986 View Post
got to make sure some bones aren't broken that also need casting or an operation - after that, you could consider acupuncture or physical therapy.
This.

If there’s no need for surgery, the break is probably pretty stable. Try to avoid synthetic opioids unless it’s absolutely necessary. Unfortunately pain is something very subjective and based on self report. So doctors tend to happily give out those super strong painkillers when patients claim they need them.

Does his leg have swelling and bruises? He probably needs to ice and elevate his broken leg regularly.

p.s. I read that NSAIDs can delay or complicate bone healing.

Last edited by JuneL; 25th March 2019 at 9:42 AM..
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 7:40 PM   #14
Established Member

So far, the acetaminophen/naproxen combination seems to be working. He definitely hasn't lost any of his vigor. Definitely not behavior I endorse, but I don't have much control over it. He got home, ate dinner, and has just dashed off to go look at a car. He simply will not stay still and rest. He's already talking about dragging out tools to pull the engine from his old car because he doesn't want the salvage yard to have it.

When I make suggestions that he should slow down, his attitude has been...difficult. Pain changes his personality a bit, and has really brought out his stubborn side.
Old 25th March 2019, 8:10 PM   #15
Established Member

Which bone of his leg is broken?
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote