LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Sudden weight gain and about it

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2017, 6:58 AM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBob View Post
If you work out hard for 45 minutes you're going to be too sore the next day to repeat the same workout. If you're looking to burn fat, do low intensity workouts like power walking or aerobics, they get you to the heart rate that is optimal for fat burning, and you'll be able to them for longer since they're low intensity. Heavy, intense cardio will elevate your heart rate to levels where your body starts burning carbohydrates for fuel.
Totally agree, even just 15 minutes of intense exercise from zero exercise you would be too sore to repeat it the following day, along with that I agree too with low intensity regular exercise being best for fat loss - but that would be a life changing thing - you only appear to want to lose weight fast, not maintain it OP.
The first couple of weeks will be water loss, not weight loss.

Beware of milk if you have any intolerance to it - you could find that over a couple of weeks of drinking milk that your stomach is bloated and bigger than it is now. Intolerance can cause symptoms immediately or over a week or several weeks.
Plus drinking milk can be a very (far too) easy way to put weight on over the course of a couple of weeks even if sticking with 1& milk.

You don't need to go all clean/raw to lose some weight over two weeks either - definitely not if you are looking to just lose 8-10lbs and have been eating very unhealthily consistently.
Plus you can't just lose belly fat - you do know this? Fat is all over our bodies.

You say this weight gain is sudden - does your belly feel actually fat or is it some fat on top of a very hard feeling - literally prod and poke around to find out. Your colon may be bloated to a degree where it feels like it's all fat but actually isn't.
You may have or may have acquired a food intolerance and this could be the result of that.
Hit your stomach with the palm of your hand - if it sounds hollow - you're bloated/distended.

What have you been eating recently? Pertinent since prior to a couple of weeks before your sudden weight gain?
Also, is it actually a weight gain or is it an increase in size?
There's a difference.

A distended stomach could be a sign of something else entirely though.
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 6:11 PM   #17
Established Member

Thanks! Haven’t been back in a while, but again - thanks very much for your replies!!

I think my belly fat (I mean it’s everywhere, but I feel that it’s more obvious (for myself) around my midsection) is a result everything I listed in my OP, plus peri-menopause/menopause/hormones.

I joined a bootcamp and have lost 4 lbs so far (in like 5 days), not lost any body fat so far......the workouts are ****ing rough, but worth it. Coaches are super-helpful, and I am def one of the “slimmer” participants, which is motivating.....(however, I’m not one of the stronger, faster, fitter ones for sure!!!!)

Anyways, planning on going there 3-4 times a week (1 hour each). The diet, according to them, should not include any dairy at all, no cheese, obvs no carbs, alcohol, sugar, no gluten etc. ...... basically clean eating, which I’m determined to stick with for those 6 weeks........and drinking 1 gallon of water a day is part of it, too. I’ll keep you posted about how it goes.

And keep commenting, if you can think of anything you might like to add, or commenting on the program, etc.

Nuts of all kinds are also recommended (minus peanuts), which is great because I LOVE walnuts. Just a little worried about the calories here. Can I eat those a few times a week?

Thanks again, guys!

Last edited by Minnie09; 22nd January 2018 at 6:38 PM..
Minnie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 7:01 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie09 View Post
T
Anyways, planning on going there 3-4 times a week (1 hour each). The diet, according to them, should not include any dairy at all, no cheese, obvs no carbs, alcohol, sugar, no gluten etc. ...... basically clean eating, which Iím determined to stick with for those 6 weeks........and drinking 1 gallon of water a day is part of it, too. Iíll keep you posted about how it goes.
Oh that diet sounds like Hell!

My concern is that because the diet isn't sustainable due to it's strictness, you'll lose the weight early on and then put it back on when you relax and start living again.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 7:01 PM   #19
Established Member

Nuts are healthy for you, but they're generally not recommended for people trying to lose weight because people tend to massively underestimate how many they're eating. If portion control isn't a problem for you, an occasional handful of unsalted almonds, cashews, walnuts etc. is fine. Or you can get a box of the little 100-calorie packs.

You are not going to make any substantive improvements to your body fat levels in five days. You may have "lost" four pounds, but that's water weight, and that can swing around like crazy depending on everything from sleep to salt to where you are in your cycle. Think of it this way: did a single piece of cake make you fat? No? Then a single salad isn't going to make you thin, either. You should be thinking of progress in terms of weeks and months, not days.

Weighing yourself daily isn't a bad idea but focus on taking the average of your weight over the week. One pound per week is perfectly reasonable for most people, while two pounds is possible if you're very aggressive. Just eat well, get exercise and be kind to yourself.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 8:17 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post

You are not going to make any substantive improvements to your body fat levels in five days. You may have "lost" four pounds, but that's water weight, and that can swing around like crazy depending on everything from sleep to salt to where you are ....... .
Yeah, I know.......the weigh-in is once a week, I donít weigh myself every day.......and I havenít lost body fat. So yeah, probably water.
Old 23rd January 2018, 9:59 AM   #21

Quote:
The diet, according to them, should not include any dairy at all, no cheese, obvs no carbs, alcohol, sugar, no gluten etc. ...... basically clean eating, which Iím determined to stick with for those 6 weeks........and drinking 1 gallon of water a day is part of it, too.
So basically no food but you must drink a gallon of water daily.

Yuck.

I'd rethink that diet.
springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:02 AM   #22
Established Member

When I'm trying to lose some weight, I make an effort to cut down carbs and sodium as much as possible, while exercising and drinking water as much as possible. Absolute no's = fast food, desserts, alcohol.

To me that simple guiding mindset works better than a strictly regimented diet full of all sorts of unrealistic rules and restrictions. (And let's face it, the guidelines above are hard enough to pull off as it is.)

I also think it's helpful to ditch the scale entirely. It's too easy to obsess over minor weight fluctuations, and either feel too defeated for not losing or "reward" yourself too much for insignificant victories. You can tell when you're making progress WITHOUT the scale. Your bloat dies down and your clothes fit better. That should be satisfaction enough.
Standard-Fare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 5:36 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard-Fare View Post
When I'm trying to lose some weight, I make an effort to cut down carbs and sodium as much as possible, while exercising and drinking water as much as possible. Absolute no's = fast food, desserts, alcohol.

To me that simple guiding mindset works better than a strictly regimented diet full of all sorts of unrealistic rules and restrictions. (And let's face it, the guidelines above are hard enough to pull off as it is.)

I also think it's helpful to ditch the scale entirely. It's too easy to obsess over minor weight fluctuations, and either feel too defeated for not losing or "reward" yourself too much for insignificant victories. You can tell when you're making progress WITHOUT the scale. Your bloat dies down and your clothes fit better. That should be satisfaction enough.

Thanks, and I definitely must get my bloating under control as well! But what you wrote - that’s pretty much my mindset and describes how I handle it, too. I also try to watch my calorie intake, ie I really try to eat only when I’m really hungry, and I try to up my water intake as well. But if I want a little bit of cream in my coffee, I just go for it as well. Definitely no fast food and sugar for me, either. At least for a while now. I think you can get pretty much used to it if you do it day in and day out. Even though I do crave my carbs, especially fresh baguette straight from the bakery, with a little bit of shaved ham and cheese, maybe mayo and some pickles.....but oh well.....not gonna happen for now.

What really surprises me, though, is that even though I should technically be sleeping better, because after all I am now exercising on a pretty regular basis, but I am actually not. My sleep has gotten worse, and sleep is an important factor wrt weight management and staying healthy. I don’t know what’s going on. I AM physically exhausted after my workouts, in a good way, but I sleep less than ever. I just don’t get tired at night. It makes no difference if I work out at 9:30 in the morning or at 6:30 at night. Same thing. And I wake up quite often during the night after falling asleep, and I wake up early in the morning, too - this is so weird. And I do need more and better sleep than I’m currently getting; I know that, because I’m tired when I wake up. Not very energized. Maybe my body is just confused about all these changes.

Last edited by Minnie09; 24th January 2018 at 6:57 PM..
Old 24th January 2018, 7:22 PM   #24
Established Member

'Water weight' loss comes from depletion of glycogen - very hydrophilic molecule - i.e. keeps water. Glycogen stores in the muscles & liver.

If muscle glycogen is depleted - it WILL change appearance significantly, so if that's the 'water weight' loss - not bad. Leaner appearance: check. Less glycogen - > body needs to start using up slower fuels (aka fats) - check.

So you're actually on the track to your goal, but obviously that won't change the shape of your abdomen (your main goal) because glycogen stores elsewhere.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 7:46 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
'Water weight' loss comes from depletion of glycogen - very hydrophilic molecule - i.e. keeps water. Glycogen stores in the muscles & liver.

If muscle glycogen is depleted - it WILL change appearance significantly, so if that's the 'water weight' loss - not bad. Leaner appearance: check. Less glycogen - > body needs to start using up slower fuels (aka fats) - check.

So you're actually on the track to your goal, but obviously that won't change the shape of your abdomen (your main goal) because glycogen stores elsewhere.
Well, I DO ab workouts, too. But not much has changed. Maybe some diuretics might help?
Old 24th January 2018, 9:25 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Well, I DO ab workouts, too. But not much has changed. Maybe some diuretics might help?
Too risky - don't do diuretics. I can list you nasty side effects of these.

If you want to dehydrate a little more 'gently' - just reduce sodium in your food/drinks as much as you can.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote