The "biometric screening"

major_merrick

This one isn't so much about my health, but about what I might be in for.

I have insurance through my work, like most people. I get the cheapest plan because I don't like doctors, don't use "health"care, but I have to because the government now requires it. Bleh.

My job has come up with this new "incentive" program to get people to to preventative health appointments. If we participate in certain events, educational activities, etc... we can earn points for a reimbursement at the end of the year. For my plan, it will pay almost 3/4 of my cost. There's just one catch - a biometric screening is on of the biggest ways to do this. So what's involved? Has anybody had one?

And my biggest question... if they find something, would that make my insurance cost go up? I could care less about my cholesterol or blood glucose. I'm not into lifestyle change, and even if they found something I refuse to eat rabbit food. I just want to lower what I'm paying, but I don't want there to be a "GOTCHA" in the details that ends up hurting rather than helping. At work, nobody knows or will give a straight answer.

Well, under the Affordable Care Act, you can't be denied coverage or charged more for preexisting conditions.

If a Republican becomes president, and repeals the ACA as they promise - it is very likely that preexisting conditions would no longer be protected, and you very well may be charged more, or denied coverage based on any preexisting conditions.

A few years ago I would have said not to worry. In today's political climate I think it's a valid concern.

I always carry insurance. And despite zero health issues, zero prescriptions and only check ups when absolutely needed - I opt for the higher plans, and opt out of all of these screenings and incentives. For me it's not a huge savings, and just feels waaaaaaay to big brother to participate in the screenings/ logging.

I don't smoke, I eat pretty well, I run 5 days a week - if I wore a fit bit so that the insurer could track me 24/7 and logged all my info I could save - but I rather maintain my privacy and hand over the cash.

• Author
major_merrick

I would be very happy if the "Affordable" Care Act just went away. Forcing me to purchase insurance for a system I don't believe in and refuse to partake of is entirely criminal, and very typical of our government. The medical system and organized crime have an awful lot in common. Heck, the one time someone called an ambulance for me when I was hurt, I told the EMT's that I'd consider it a threat on my life if they touched me, and that I would defend myself and/or prosecute. If the law went away, my problems would be solved - I'd just go back to no coverage at all and be very happy.

So how much tracking do they actually do in these incentive programs? I've heard of a "Fit Bit" but what does it actually do? I'd never wear a tracker device - sounds like the Mark of the Beast or something from some apocalyptic nightmare.

Edited by major_merrick
  • Like 1

With your sensibilities, I wouldn't do it major. Think of a "biometric screening" as an intense lifestyle examination (and probably a rigorous physical and evaluation). Bscly if there's some element identified as a risk factor - high blood pressure, cholesterol, whatever - you can be compelled to aggressively address it in order to 'get in on the savings.' Like RC says most likely your premiums won't go up (depends a lot on what exactly your policy/coverage is and from whom) but costs can still go up if forex you're now paying a constant copay on a drug prescription and on semi-annual doctor's visits.

Obvs if there's sth catastrophic found the expense to you will go up dramatically, but I suppose that won't particularly be a worry in that event.

Insurance is sort of a necessary evil in the world ....if sth blows up in your life it's great to have, but you should never kid yourself that the insurance company's in it for anyone but themselves. In that sense, any health promotional programs they or your employer run are ultimately geared toward saving them money by reducing your risk and cumulative cost. (It's cheaper to pay out for drugs and doctor's visits than some major surgery and therapy/followup/support.) They're not doing it to keep you alive, they're doing it to reduce you to as limited an expenditure as possible.

• Like 1

any health promotional programs they or your employer run are ultimately geared toward saving them money by reducing your risk and cumulative cost. (It's cheaper to pay out for drugs and doctor's visits than some major surgery and therapy/followup/support.) They're not doing it to keep you alive, they're doing it to reduce you to as limited an expenditure as possible.

^^ That is it in a nutshell MM .

Biometrics data also have other applications that are not 'evil'. Say a new drug is going to be introduced to the market. There are extensive clinical studies to be done (that take years - years that can be fatal if you need the drug), and they can be significantly shortened by the use of biometrics big data (i.e. 'real-world evidence' approach). The data in such studies is defaced so patient privacy is preserved but by sharing their biometrics data patients have provided invaluable information for data scientists.

Just saying this to point out it is not black and white.

• Author
major_merrick

Thanks for the advice!

Since I don't have financial issues, I think I'll just lump it and keep paying. I don't want to be coerced into doing something, and I think it's an invasion of privacy that I'd rather not submit to. :sick: