Super heavy sledgehammer training

King Bowls

Training with a sledgehammer and hitting a tire is quality training for strength and endurance.

I want to take it to the next level

I know a machinist who can make me a custom sledgehammer (or I guess you could call it a war hammer because it is so heavy) that will weigh 125 lbs

Would this create much greater grip strength gains over a standard weight hammer?

• Like 1

I'd love to know what it does really. When I boxed we used this technique for conditioning (obviously just a few lbs, not your giant kind) but I really don't know if it made any difference.

• Like 1
SammySammy

I've swung sledgehammers on construction sites. Chopped firewood. While it is definitely a workout, you get used to it like anything else.

When you plateau, the only way to go to the next level is to increase your intensity. Like anything else.

I think it's a gimmick exercise and there are better ways of increasing strength and endurance.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Want a better quality heavy workout??

Go get your own or a buddies 3/4 or 1 ton pickup and bring it to a deserted road....Put it in neutral and push it around for a while....Doesn't cost anything and it will be a better training tool...

But if you want to talk about hand strength...

My uncle(RIP) was a lifetime stone mason..He was a naturally strong guy, but really never trained with weights...Even well into his 50's he could take a long handled sledge(dont remember the weight) and hold it out at arms length...Then he'd use only his wrist to touch the head of the hammer to his nose and then back out...Never bending at the elbow...He also used to pick up chairs by one leg...Its not easy....As strong as I am, I don't think I could do it..

TFY

I think it's a gimmick exercise and there are better ways of increasing strength and endurance.

Yeah I think so too. My father taught me to chop firewood when I was a kid, at first it was heavy and difficult but then got used to it quickly.

• Like 1