Intermittent fasting

fitnessfan365

IF - A 16hr fast (sleep plus 8 hrs after waking). Then you take all your calories during the final 8 hrs of the day with a few large meals.

Been trying it a few weeks and actually enjoy it. Although I've had to do kind of a hybrid version because I can't do hardcore workouts fasted. So to coordinate with my morning training schedule, I'll do a small breakfast, and moderate post workout meal. However, then I'll split 2000-2200 calories over two huge meals later in the day. Being able to do 1000 plus calories in one meal where you're actually full/satisfied after is amazing. The main difference for me is that weekend cravings are drastically reduced now. Since you're full/satisfied after eating, you don't have a week's worth of craving building up.

Also, WAY more wiggle room for fun food during the week. For example, it's so much easier getting a table for a dinner date on a weeknight vs the weekend. Now if I want to have a 1500-2000 calorie dinner with my GF at a restaurant, it doesn't effect my calorie count. In the past two weeks, I've already dropped an inch off my waist doing this because I am now able to keep a consistent deficit for the whole week instead of just Mon-Thurs.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 1
Confused9999

If you have a small breakfast you are breaking your 16 hours.

The recommended thing is to have no food but take BCAA amino acids right before working out if doing in fasted state. Then eat right after workout.

I've been doing IF for a couple of months and lost 20lbs with very little effort.

• Like 2
  • Author
fitnessfan365
If you have a small breakfast you are breaking your 16 hours.

The recommended thing is to have no food but take BCAA amino acids right before working out if doing in fasted state. Then eat right after workout.

I've been doing IF for a couple of months and lost 20lbs with very little effort.

Well as I said, I don't do it in the strictest sense.

To adapt, I've been doing a moderate breakfast/post workout in the first eight hours. Then in the last 8 hours I split 2000 plus calories over a few meals. However, I think my body is starting to adjust much better now. Today all I had for "breakfast" was an apple. Then a few hours later, did 120 full push-up burpees and felt fine during. Will do a moderate post workout and then eat a ton later on.

I just found this way of eating about a month ago, I really like it and it works well for my life.

I am striving for two fasts per week, but lately it's only been 1. I can actually get through just about anything during the fast day, knowing I have a meal ahead of me with whatever I want (within common sense...no ice cream for dinner!)

So far I've been doing a dinner from dinner fast, seems the easiest for me to handle as I often used to skip breakfast anyway.

I think why I love it and it's workable for me in the long term is that I can deprive myself for a day or two, instead of everyday for months and months and months.

I was worried that I would be ravenous coming out of the fast and make poor choices, oddly it's had the opposite affect. I don't feel like eating very much and my cravings for junk food dropped significantly.

So far I'm loving it and I'm losing weight. I have not tried to work out on my fast days yet...I don't really need to anyways.

RecentChange

Hum, interesting, I have never heard of this (I have heard of short term fasting, but not a daily thing).

I think I could easily do this.... as my daily routine is already fairly close due mostly to my schedule.

I generally eat 400-600 calories before dinner, and then around 1,000 calories at dinner time.

Today... had coffee and an apple for breakfast around 9:30 am (been up since 5:30). I forgot to eat my greek yogurt which I usually have before lunch.

Went on my lunch time run.

Its now 2:15 and I am about to have lunch - a riceless sushi roll. Comes in around 200 calories, mostly from protein / fat (raw salmon / avocado).

So, today I am looking at 300 calories so far.

I will work the rest of the day (office job on my duff), then go ride my horse after work - and come home and prepare dinner around 8:30 at night.

Tonight.... I am thinking chicken thighs braised with lemons and rosemary, maybe baked sweet potatoes, and a kale / brussel sprout salad.

I always consume the vast majority of my calories at the end of the day. On the weekends, I usually have coffee and a protein drink for breakfast / lunch, and then a big dinner. (oh and lets not talk about my weekend drinking, can't quite give up those empty calories!)

Confused9999

It's called intermittent fasting or lean gains. It's not just to lose weight but actually scientifically proven to be really good for you and your health!

Fast 16 hours and eat 8 every 24 hours.

Basically eat dinner until 8 PM and don't eat anything (except for coffee, water, or tea) until the following lunch at 12PM.

There is also the 5:2 fast which is eat whatever 5 days a week but then fast 24 hours 2 days a week. I tried this on occasion but it's too hard to maintain constantly. I find the 16/8 works really well for me with minimal effort!

Be careful as a woman though since it screws up your hormones. For women they recommend 14/10.

• Author
fitnessfan365

I think another reason why I feel great doing IF is that it forces you to drink even more water. I used to do a gallon a day. But now I am averaging at least 1 1/2 gallons a day because it helps curb hunger.

Heading into week three I definitely feel like my body is starting to adjust better. Still really surprised that I did an intense workout a few hours after eating just an apple..LOL

RecentChange
It's called intermittent fasting or lean gains. It's not just to lose weight but actually scientifically proven to be really good for you and your health!

Be careful as a woman though since it screws up your hormones. For women they recommend 14/10.

I never knew! I could very easily do a 14/10. Right now I am on a 12/12 I guess if you count my AM apple and low sugar yogurt (180 cals total) - push those to lunch and I would be on a 15/9. My cycles are absolutely regular, like clock work, so I know on that level at least things are fine.

I have never been a breakfast person, or much of a "grazer" my personal trainer friend has been nagging me to do "5 a day" like she does (5 small meals) - and its just not appealing to me. I enjoy a BIG OL' dinner (plus so does my Mr. I cook for two). I usually have a fairly giant salad, and a generous portion of protein.

I have been feeling like I need to get that portion size under control - but maybe not?

I will say I have lost a significant amount of weight on this routine, and the scale continues to go down. Of course its not just the hours I eat, but what I eat, along with my activity level.

Edited by RecentChange

Yes there are a few different variations. The one that I follow is based on a book called Eat Stop Eat. It's basically eat regular 5 days and fast 2. Also need a good break in between the fast days.

I usually do a Monday and Thursday fast day, so the weekend is free. Once I lose the weight I want, I will cut the fast days down. Once you reach goal weight you may only need to do a fast day every few weeks or so. Just have to pay attention to your body.

There are some amazing repair benefits to you body with fasting (short term) which is a main reason I'm intrigued, losing a little weight is just a bonus.

I don't find the 24 hour fast too difficult. I once did a master cleanse for 30 days, surviving on a lemon juice concoction. Cripes, if I can do that I can do anything ��. Although more often then not, I cut my fast by a couple hours. But the author says anything over 20 is hugely beneficial, so I don't stress it.

Edited by Sabella

I've been eating once a day at about 7 pm for four years now. Lost 90 pounds and have mostly maintained it (within about ten pounds, I fluctuate a little).

For me, the key is to eat a ton of fat. That way I'm almost never hungry. I'm usually not feeling all that hungry even at dinner time. And I have tons of energy. I love working out as late in the fast as possible, like around 5 or 6 pm.

So tonight dinner is going to be pork belly and gai lan cooked in a soy sauce/fish sauce marinade. When I first started I ate the same thing every day for ages -- as much bacon as I wanted at 2 pm and two Costco hamburger patties w cheddar at 7. I wasn't planning to go down to once a day but between the food not being appetizing ? and just feeling sated, I started skipping my 2 pm meal. Now food hardly crosses my mind during the day.

Lately I've gotten into a little trouble w it bc i'e been drinking more. And I don't wanna give it up. I like my drinks! But I can feel that it's making the whole food thing harder.

• Like 1
Confused9999
I never knew! I could very easily do a 14/10. Right now I am on a 12/12 I guess if you count my AM apple and low sugar yogurt (180 cals total) - push those to lunch and I would be on a 15/9. My cycles are absolutely regular, like clock work, so I know on that level at least things are fine.

I have never been a breakfast person, or much of a "grazer" my personal trainer friend has been nagging me to do "5 a day" like she does (5 small meals) - and its just not appealing to me. I enjoy a BIG OL' dinner (plus so does my Mr. I cook for two). I usually have a fairly giant salad, and a generous portion of protein.

I have been feeling like I need to get that portion size under control - but maybe not?

I will say I have lost a significant amount of weight on this routine, and the scale continues to go down. Of course its not just the hours I eat, but what I eat, along with my activity level.

Here are scientific studies:

The case for intermittent fasting: size matters, timing matters too

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131%2812%2900189-1?_returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS1550413112001891%3Fshowall%3Dtrue&cc=y=

• Like 2
  • Author
fitnessfan365

RC - In the end, calorie deficit is the main key to fat loss. So you just need to find the easiest/most enjoyable way for you to keep a consistent deficit over time. With IF, or something close to it, you're eating fewer meals which makes it easier to track.

So I wouldn't focus on the time windows nearly as much as how many calories you're taking in. Now if you're able to handle IF in the strictest sense of no calories at all until 8hrs after waking, do that and split your calories over two massive meals. If you need some calories in your system to function after waking, take in 20% of your cals in a few tiny meals, and shove 80% into two larger meals later. This is a hybrid version I've been using and I've already dropped more than inch off my waist in a few weeks.

• Like 1
Confused9999
RC - In the end, calorie deficit is the main key to fat loss. So you just need to find the easiest/most enjoyable way for you to keep a consistent deficit over time. With IF, or something close to it, you're eating fewer meals which makes it easier to track.

So I wouldn't focus on the time windows nearly as much as how many calories you're taking in. Now if you're able to handle IF in the strictest sense of no calories at all until 8hrs after waking, do that and split your calories over two massive meals. If you need some calories in your system to function after waking, take in 20% of your cals in a few tiny meals, and shove 80% into two larger meals later. This is a hybrid version I've been using and I've already dropped more than inch off my waist in a few weeks.

That depends what your goal is. According to the research I posted the actual health benefits happen because of the smaller eating window. The weight loss is just a bonus.

• Like 2
  • Author
fitnessfan365
That depends what your goal is. According to the research I posted the actual health benefits happen because of the smaller eating window. The weight loss is just a bonus.

That is true. Being goal specific is important. However, a lot of people do IF to maintain a calorie deficit easier and drop body fat. After all, it's easier to maintain a deficit over two meals as opposed to 5-6. Especially by freeing up calories for at night when people are more prone to binging and wanting to eat more. So if calorie count is the main key to success, it's not that much harder to re-adjust the number a bit.

I am also a firm believer in adapting something to your own lifestyle and using a version that works for you. So if someone trains in the morning, and needs 15-20% of their calories for pre/post workout, they're still maintining a massive deficit until later in the day which is basically the same thing.

• Like 1

^yes this

Really imprortant...what will work for you in a long term lifestyle change? For me, long term deprivation and counting every flipping calorie makes me insane. For some people, it's a way to focus and be accountable.

I love how adaptable this is. I love focusing a couple of days to fasting, days that I can move around depending on my schedule, if need be. Then letting it go and enjoying the weekend and just enjoying life. The deficit is important, just make it work for you.

The only thing I would add, is that if you are already inadvertently following a similar eating pattern, AND you still have a bit of weight to lose, you may need to tweak the fasting more drastically. I wasn't sure if you were thinking of doing this for health reasons or strict weight loss?

Edited by Sabella
Typos make me crazy
RecentChange

Weight loss vs. health benefits - I would say both, but with a lean towards the health benefits.

Basically I discovered that often one, but sometimes two large meals a day is what works for me - and I eat really late.

Constantly I was hearing how I should be eating many small meals. How I should never eat late in the evening. That I was doing this all wrong. But that is what WORKS for me, it works for my schedule, it works for my appetite and energy levels.

So far I have been successful in maintaining a calorie deficit even though I stopped logging / counting calories 5 months ago (when I reached the goal weight I had set for myself) since then, each week I am still a bit lighter than the week before. I just keep a mental tally, I certainly don't feel like I am "on a diet".

Like FF said - it also gives me a lot more flexibility for eating out etc. I still make sensible choices - but if I had only 400 calories to work with, well that makes eating out much harder!

• Like 2
  • Author
fitnessfan365

Body is definitely adjusting better now! All I had to eat pre-workout today three hours after waking was an apple (80 cals) and a serving of peanut butter (210 cals).

Then I did an INTENSE 60 minutes. For the first 30 minutes I was in my 40lb weighted vest. Switched off between six rep chin-up sets and full bleacher runs. Then the vest came off and I did 30 minutes on the Prowler sled after that. Probably one of the more intense workouts I've done in awhile and I lasted just fine on basically an empty stomach. Shocked!

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 1
WasOtherWoman

I've been eating this way for twenty years, probably before it even had a name. I consume all of my calories between 9 am and 4 pm. Cutting out eating dinner has allowed me to maintain my high school weight, I am now in my early fifties.

• Like 1
I've been eating this way for twenty years, probably before it even had a name. I consume all of my calories between 9 am and 4 pm. Cutting out eating dinner has allowed me to maintain my high school weight, I am now in my early fifties.

That's awesome!!

:Can someone explain why this sounds backwards to me? Isn't it better to eat all your food during the first 8 hours of your day, eat nothing the last 8 hours, and then go to sleep on an empty stomach? I am guessing people don't do it this way because it is less comfortable for them to do so?

This way, you eat a huge meal right after working out, and avoid going to bed with a super full stomach by cramming food down your throat during the last 8 hours. Honestly, there is nothing more uncomfortable than going to bed with a really full stomach :sick:

Probably one of the more intense workouts I've done in awhile and I lasted just fine on basically an empty stomach. Shocked!

Working out with a full stomach is double :sick: :sick:

Don't think it's healthy to do that either.

Edited by S_A
  • Author
fitnessfan365

S_A - Saving calories for later in the day makes sense for a few reasons.

1) You can enjoy food more at night. Imagine rushing to have a huge breakfast before work, and then trying to cram a bunch of food in during your lunch break. Then after work when you can actually relax you're done eating for the day.

2) People tend to socialize, eat out, and overindulge at night. Imagine you're done eating by 4pm. Then friends or family members invite you out for a dinner. Your choices are either to stay home or to sip water while everyone else eats, drinks, and has a good time. It's better to have excess calories to spare for those situations so having a good time doesn't mess with your deficit.

3) You don't think about what you consume while you sleep. It's much easier to go to bed fully satisfied and then have a good night's sleep versus having 8 hours to digest food and potentially be hungry at night before bed keeping you up. Then you toss/turn from hunger and wind up midnight snacking.

Edited by fitnessfan365
  • Like 1

I find reason 2 to be the only valid reason. But there are ways to compromise for that. I'd much rather have like 16 egg whites in the morning.

TheFinalWord
IF - A 16hr fast (sleep plus 8 hrs after waking). Then you take all your calories during the final 8 hrs of the day with a few large meals.

Been trying it a few weeks and actually enjoy it. Although I've had to do kind of a hybrid version because I can't do hardcore workouts fasted. So to coordinate with my morning training schedule, I'll do a small breakfast, and moderate post workout meal. However, then I'll split 2000-2200 calories over two huge meals later in the day. Being able to do 1000 plus calories in one meal where you're actually full/satisfied after is amazing. The main difference for me is that weekend cravings are drastically reduced now. Since you're full/satisfied after eating, you don't have a week's worth of craving building up.

Also, WAY more wiggle room for fun food during the week. For example, it's so much easier getting a table for a dinner date on a weeknight vs the weekend. Now if I want to have a 1500-2000 calorie dinner with my GF at a restaurant, it doesn't effect my calorie count. In the past two weeks, I've already dropped an inch off my waist doing this because I am now able to keep a consistent deficit for the whole week instead of just Mon-Thurs.

I'm not sure if it's been demonstrated, but when I heard about this I worried about people developing eating disorders. I suppose it won't be a problem unless one is predisposed to eating disorders (which just so happens to be a lot of fitness people).

• Like 1
  • Author
fitnessfan365
I'm not sure if it's been demonstrated, but when I heard about this I worried about people developing eating disorders. I suppose it won't be a problem unless one is predisposed to eating disorders (which just so happens to be a lot of fitness people).

It's probably been known to happen. But it's hard to say that I'm on "diet" or a candidate for having an "eating disorder" when I take in 3400 calories a day..LOL

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
It's probably been known to happen. But it's hard to say that I'm on "diet" or a candidate for having an "eating disorder" when I take in 3400 calories a day..LOL

Good point :laugh:

• Like 1