I was wondering people's thoughts on these. I have avoided all supplements apart from multivitamins over the last three years of working out quite intensively. I'm not sure just something about how synthetic and fake they seemed turns me off.

But I tried some pre work out mix tonight off a colleague as have been training really hard and needed a boost. It was perfectly legal and is sold in supplement stores. Contained creatine, caffeine, vitamins and a few things Ive never heard of......

Anyway, I gotta say the results were scary. I felt no stiffness in my legs despite running huge distances recently. I moved real fast. I felt strong. But my heart was also beating pretty fast. I think it improved my performance by at least 10%......

But I'm also wary of using it again as can see it could get addictive. Anyone else used any of these? this was one of main brands out there. What are your thoughts? Are they bad for you? Or merely a useful aid?

Hopeful714

Pre workout supplements are fine. After a long day at work they give me the boost and motivation I need to get through a productive workout. 2 of the best I can recommend are c4, and pulse by legion. Check them out. You can read reviews on amazon.

I also started using legion force. This is a post workout recovery product that contains creatine. Wow...why hadn't I used this sooner? Years ago creatine had a bad "scary" rap to it. Do some reading. It's not bad, and WILL help you reach your fitness goals.

If I were you, new to supplements, check out Mike Mathews site and his line of legion products. They are highly regarded in the fitness community. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for and there is no "garbage" in his stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

creatine can give you funny looking muscles, I think it's to do with water retention. Also, isn't it true if you stop taking it, you lose some of your gains?

I found BCAAs to be great

Hopeful714

Actually I found the creatine made me look more ripped and cut. I was a bit worried when I began because I didn't want a bloated look. Although I am prone to bloating, I never did, if anything, it increased my strength and added to my muscle gains. Not to keep pushing legion products, but it is the only one ill take since they have a clean reputation.

Congrats on the marathon!!

• Author

Thank you. I went with beta alanine and seperately an isotonic mix with amino acids in it. It was the beta alanine that gave me the boost but didn't want the creatine as don't really want to get any bigger necessarily just tend to be quite stiff in general so it helps a lot

• 2 weeks later...

To a certain level you only need to do this:

1 scoop of protein powder in the morning

then pre workout 2 BCAA tablets

Some carbs, maybe a banana and an orange/apple

Post work out again 2 BCAA tablets

1 scoop of protein powder

On a next level you can at Creatine into it. Depending if you're going for strength of volume.

One problem that I see with pre workouts is that, once you take them, people find it harder to workout without it. I have heard this saying a million times in the gym. " oh man, I didn't take my pre workout today, I feel like crap and cant lift without it."

Me personally, I do not take pre workouts. I will take bcaa's half hr before my workout and some peanut butter. Thats it. You will not get that amped up feeling with bcaa's but, you will feel a more natural energy. You will want to push harder, recover faster between sets and have more stamina. They really do work. I use mutant bcaa.

Post workout, I use alpha amino with 5 grams of micronized creatine mono. 3 scoops of optimum protein, greek yogurt and of course, some simple carbs like a banana and fruits for a quick spike in insulin. If your on a diet, limit those simple carbs post workout. I dont like six packs so I usually stay stocky. I prefer looking stocky.

IMO, creatine is the best supplement out there that works. Its been around for years and its been proven. The loading phase though, is bs. I do not believe in loading creatine. depending on your weight, you can take 5-10 grams everyday for a very very long time without a break. The only time you will get bloated from creatine is if you take 20 grams during the loading phase or just a ****ty creatine brand and non micronized. bloating is caused when the creatine is not being absorbed in the intestines. water rushes to the area and you get bloated.

I also do not take creatine pre workout. I found for me, it does nothing. I get more benefits from bcaa's. I treat creatine as a recovery supplement. so I will take 5 grams of creatine post workout. The other 5 grams I take POST POST. The second most important meal of the day besides breakfast, is post post. Your body will absorb even more post post workout. so my post post is close to my bedtime. so its a total of 10 grams of creatine a day. I will, after months and months, just drop it down to 5 grams post workout. From there, you can stay on it year around. The more water you drink, the better creatine works. speaking of creatine, its time for my daily dose lol