How do I get my edge back?

A few years ago I had a health scare. Though I was having a 2nd heart attack but was a false alarm. I was almost at 300lbs. but I started eating better, joined a gym and would also go out walking which led to jogging. Managed to get down to about 230lbs. Was feeling great and that's when my personal life took a turn for the worse. Met a woman. Things were going well then she flaked on me. Then had problems with my best friends. I ended the friendships and have gained a significant amount of weight back to the point where my clothes are feeling a bit uncomfortable now. Anyways, has anyone else had stuff like this happen? I've lost my edge and fire that I had when I was getting in shape. I don't know how to get it back. I eat junk food when I get stressed and depressed. I was doing so good. I'm type 2 diabetic. When I went in the hospital during the health scare my A1C was at 10. I managed to get it down to 5.3 when I was on the health kick. I just need to know how to get motivated again. I still have my gym membership but haven't gone regularly in months. I know I need to eat better too but it's just hard when life is beating you down. Please help.

Is there any way you can substitute lower calorie/sugar junk food in for the probably .terrible junk food you are eating?

An extreme example is eating celery all day long until you feel like puking. As much as you want and you still lose tons of weight.

A more realistic example is replacing cookies with crackers or pretzels and apples.

Key isn't to eat less and feel hungry/cravings.

The key is to eat as much as you want of lower calorie, lower sugar things.

It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change.

Enigma has good points about the gym. I never go... so I have my work out stuff at home. This means an hour workout only eats up an hour of my time, so it's easier to stick to it.

That's different fo different people though.

Start a healthier diet to lose weight and circuit training/weight training to get fitter to what's coming: join a boxing gym 6 months down the line. Nothing makes you feel that alive. You are too big and unfit now but start preparations for a transition.

Also always keep doing the weights otherwise you get skinny and gaunt down the line. The combination of good diet, strength training and boxing will make you feel and look awesome :)

thefooloftheyear

The way to "get it back" is to start with very small goals...More often than not, the thought of tedious workouts or strict diets seem too daunting when you are out of shape, so the natural thing for many people to do is back burner it...

Forget the diet for now...

Start by going to the gym and focus on a single part....Or only do things at the gym you like or feel comfortable with....In a couple of weeks, then get the diet tightened up..Then in some more time gradually turn up the heat on your workouts...It starts to come together when you see some progress..

Bottom line is that no matter how hard core we are, all of us fall into ruts...Start small...Dont overburden yourself at the outset....Fitness has a tendency to be "self feeding" in the sense that results fuel you to keep going...

Good luck..

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear

You need to work on resolving the underlying stuff you've got going on man. Obesity for a lot of people is a way to hide in your shell like a turtle. You're fat, people aren't interested in you. It's safe in a way. Women don't hit you with sexual attention. You lost weight, came out a little and then you got burned, so now you're back in.

I don't know what you've got going on that makes you want to disconnect and hide so I can't offer anything else really, but until you deal with it you won't let yourself lose weight. No matter how hard you try.

• Like 1