Gaining weight

Countryredneckbae

Hey everyone,

Question for all of you. Is there any way to put on weight?

I used to weight 132 lbs but the last 3 weeks I have lost a lot of weight and I now weight 100 lbs. Yesterday I went to my doctor since I had an appointment and my doctor says I'm underweight and I need to gain the weight back. I'm not sure what I could do besides eat constantly. I'm trying to stay away from eating a lot cause I don't have much money. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by Countryredneckbae

IMO, if you eat a balanced diet, even if of average portion size, your health will be maintained. Yeah, you might not gain weight back fast but any gain will be healthy gain. Hopefully the doc took some blood to check for any problems or deficiencies so you can modify as necessary for your particular situation.

• Like 1

Ahhh, what does your diet and exercise consist of right now?

Muscle is heavy... Sounds like you have probably lost some.

Do you really not have enough money to eat properly? Any other expenses that could be cut in favor of your health?

• Like 1

Misread a bit...you lost 32 pounds in three weeks? Yikes. Hope the doc did a bit more than tell you you're underweight. At minimum, beyond tests, bring in a dietician to consult. Your digestive tract could be a wreck for all they know.

My best friend's wife went through this due to depression recently and lost like sixty pounds in 6-8 weeks and it fried up her brain. I hardly recognized her at Christmas.

IMO, that kind of sudden weight loss is serious health issue and beyond the scope of an internet forum.

• Like 4
  • Author
Countryredneckbae
Ahhh, what does your diet and exercise consist of right now?

Muscle is heavy... Sounds like you have probably lost some.

Do you really not have enough money to eat properly? Any other expenses that could be cut in favor of your health?

Right now I am eating a lot of chicken since thats all i have in the house. Yes I really have not enough money to get food. All the bills that I have get paid first and I'm limited to funds afterwards. I try to keep the expences down but with having my parents living with me now I have to spend more. My parents dont have alot of money either but yet they go and buy cigerates all the time. I usually try and Keep my funds around about $200 but if im not paying attention my parents take my money and go spend it on stuff they dont need.

Hey everyone,

Question for all of you. Is there any way to put on weight?

I used to weight 132 lbs but the last 3 weeks I have lost a lot of weight and I now weight 100 lbs. Yesterday I went to my doctor since I had an appointment and my doctor says I'm underweight and I need to gain the weight back. I'm not sure what I could do besides eat constantly. I'm trying to stay away from eating a lot cause I don't have much money. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you lost 32 pounds in 3 weeks your doctor should be doing a lot more than just telling you that you're underweight.

Go to another doctor!

• Author
Countryredneckbae

My doctor did a blood test but it came back clean. They might be thinking its from my stress and not eating much lately cause of me dealing with a lot.

My doctor did a blood test but it came back clean. They might be thinking its from my stress and not eating much lately cause of me dealing with a lot.

I was going to say, usually when your weight drops so suddenly, it has something to do with stress and depression.

So here's my suggestion:

Bring up your exercise routines--whatever you ENJOY doing.

First of all, doing exercise builds muscle and that adds to your weight. (My weight is always more when I'm physically active than when I'm not).

Being active and physically fit, brings your emotional mood up, so that will help you battle the depression to some extent.

Finally, when you do a lot of workout, inevitably you will feel hungry, bring up your appetite and eat a lot naturally.

Get to the root of the problem, not just treat the symptom.

I think the objective here is to get healthier, not heavier.

• Like 1
  • Author
Countryredneckbae
OP, today, are you forcing yourself to eat or do you feel hungry?

I dont force myself to eat. Im been really hungry and i eat what is limited even at school i buy extra food that i can get through my school for free and i still am hungry.

seekingpeaceinlove

Oh no, so you don't have enough money to eat? Are there any public assistance programs that you can look into around your city? What about churches?

In the meanwhile, try to sneak in high caloric foods (eg: nuts..) in your diet and go light on the physical activity. If you're not eating enough and you exercise too much you will lose muscle mass. I don't recommend increasing your acivity level until you at least are able to eat normally.

I agree with others that maybe you should get a second opinon from another doc. You lost 1/4 of your body weight in just a few weeks. That's quite concerning and should be investigated further.

If it were a question of eating, paid internet access and/or cell phone would go. Walk to the library for exercise. Buy some food with the money saved. Eat.

• Like 1
  • Author
Countryredneckbae
If it were a question of eating, paid internet access and/or cell phone would go. Walk to the library for exercise. Buy some food with the money saved. Eat.

Carhill, I live on a farm and my phone is nesserary incase something happens so i cant quite paying for that. My interenet access is the hotspot on my phone so i limit that out but my electric and water bills are always high and take up a good chunck of my money.

Yep, when I posted I was thinking of the three mile walk into town. I also live far from libraries and grocery stores. I presume your parents have no phone so they use yours. If wrong, consolidate. The point is to free up money for food. Heck, I save fuel, and on food costs, by having Amazon deliver my food, most of it anyway. Not to mention time. So, did you have breakfast this morning? I had a cup of tea and some hash browns and onions. Great way to start the day out in the country. The postman will be delivering my groceries in about 3 hours. Cold, crisp January day to work out in the sunshine.

Focus on other things and let the weight thing settle out, of course presuming you're healthy. At my age I'd be a wreck if I starved myself and lost that much weight that quickly. Nice to be young. Take advantage of it. It's gone before you know it.

• Like 1
  • Author
Countryredneckbae

My parents have their own phone but they are always with their friends so I stay at the house.

I dont wake up in time for breakfast so I didnt eat breakfast this morning.

You need more than a blood test.

You say you've lost 32 pounds in 3 weeks. That's 11 pounds a week, or about 1 1/2 pounds a day.

A pound has 3500 calories. 1 1/2 pounds is 5250 calories. That's how many FEWER calories you would have to eat in order to lose 1 1/2 pounds per day. Since there is no way for you eat that many fewer calories (the average person is eating 2000 calories per day), this means that either you have overstated the amount of your weight loss or something is seriously wrong.

See another doctor.

• Like 1
  • Author
Countryredneckbae

I have tried to get a different doctor but there are not enough in my town that i can go to plus my parents want me to stay with one doctor because I have had up to 5 doctors and they got tired of me always gone all day

• Author
Countryredneckbae

Well went to see a different doctor. Have some help but not much. and I have lost more weight.

Right now I am eating a lot of chicken since thats all i have in the house. Yes I really have not enough money to get food. All the bills that I have get paid first and I'm limited to funds afterwards. I try to keep the expences down but with having my parents living with me now I have to spend more. My parents dont have alot of money either but yet they go and buy cigerates all the time. I usually try and Keep my funds around about $200 but if im not paying attention my parents take my money and go spend it on stuff they dont need.

You should try to eat more than just plain protein. Have a lot of carbs. You will gain the weight back as long as you don't have some other health issue causing this. When I want to lose weight, I eat no carbs and a smaller amount of food. It works like a charm.

• Like 1
  • Author
Countryredneckbae

Okay. I found me a new job so I'll be able to get more money and I'll be able to get more food. I just have only had chicken cause that's what's left.