Hands and feet get really cold just in winter time only?

Hello, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone.

I was wondering, does anyone hands and feet get really cold during winter time?

It been getting cold here, it 30 degree F here for the past few nights. Seem like this winter gonna be colder than previous winters.

My husband he knows when the weather get cold/winter time, my hands and feet get really cold at night; so when we in bed--he always rubs my hands and rubs my feet.

He been rubs my feet the past three nights; right now I wish he home from work so he can rubs my feet again, lol

My hands and feet get freezing though, like very very cold--this ONLY happen in winter time though. Does anyone else also have cold hands and feet just in winter time only?

I'm 30, husband also 30. I don't know if it because my age 30; but I keep heard that as you get older, it gets more common to get cold hands and feet in winter time?

Hi there,

As a medical professional I'd be ruling out circulatory problems first. Well worth getting your blood pressure checked as well as an ECG (whatever America calls 10 sticky dots attached to leads :) )

Nothing urgent so don't go losing sleep - but get in with your Doc

• Like 2

Not a medical professional but I was thinking circulation/BP too ....

Just FYI, in order for your hands and feet to be warm, your wrists and ankles have to be warm, so maybe try some nice thick high socks and long sleeves. :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you for the replies. Happy Holidays to everyone.

I heard some ladies said that it can be thyroid issue, to poor circulation, to being tall and anemic; can caused cold hands and feet in winter time..

BUT I'm a 4'11" short height and chubby girl, I'm like chubby everywhere. I'm sure 4'11" is Not tall, and I'm NOT anemic.

Yes, I had my iron levels check. I have an OB/GYN and a M.D. doctor.

All my health check-up is normal. My blood test result everything is within normal range, my blood cell count is in normal range too.

My hands and feet doesn't turn purple or white, at.all. It just get really cold, like freezing cold.. And this only happen in winter/cold weather. Never happen in spring/summer or warm weather.

Wear socks does help a bit. We tried turn on heater, heater helps alot.

BUT last time when the heater stays on, after a while I get bleeding nose, I dunno why. It is because at night outside it 30ºF cold, and inside it hot with the heater on so my nose bleeds?

For the past four nights my husband didn't turn on the heater, perhaps he doesn't want to see my nose bleeds? He keeps rubs my hands and rubs my feet to helps it stay warm.

It wasn't this cold at night last week or so, it just starting to get cold. And it been raining for the past two days, so it gets colder than usual.

Edited by thestairs

Some ppl get nose bleeds from dry air. If you need to add some humidity to the mix inside, you could try putting a pot of water on the stove at low heat.

And again, are your ankles and wrists warm? Your socks can't be just footy type socks, they have to go up over the ankle a ways.

• Like 2
  • Author
Some ppl get nose bleeds from dry air. If you need to add some humidity to the mix inside, you could try putting a pot of water on the stove at low heat.

And again, are your ankles and wrists warm? Your socks can't be just footy type socks, they have to go up over the ankle a ways.

Thank you. You right, perhaps get a humidifier?

And Yes, my ankes and wrists stay warm. It just my feet and hands is cold. Weird right?

Thank you for your advice, you seem to know alot about these stuff.

And I only wear regular socks. I think I need longer socks, or those fuzzy socks?

I would think they should be insulated yeah, and go well over your ankles.

Ankles and wrists aren't terribly temp sensitive btw so it may be harder to tell whether they're really warm or not. Try touching them and see how they feel to your fingers.

it does sound like poor circulation in those areas. we all get colder in the winter months, but excessive coldness could be something you need to see a dr. about. in the meantime just wear extremely warm gloves to bed and double or triple pairs of socks that go up much higher than booties/anklets. if you know it's an issue then cover up those areas very well at night and even during the day. my feet get very cold so i wear two pairs of thermal socks during the day. do what you need to do.

I myself suffer from the same problem.

I do have severe intolerance to cold in general, but I'm able to handle that by dressing in layers (up to 6 or 7 at times) of expedition weight cold weather sports clothing. But I can't seem to fight the hands and feet sensitivity though--but it is severe to point of unable to move my fingers.

I did my share of looking for answers.

Do ask your doctor to check your thyroid level and any autoimmune disease related to thyroid imbalance (Raynaud's, Hashimoto's thyroiditis etc.)

Look in sports clothing stores (REI, EMS etc) for socks and gloves suitable for cold weather sports. They have a much wider variety of products than regular clothes stores.

Also look up "hot hands";

Amazon.com : HotHands Hand Warmers : Pet Supplies

it's a tiny pouch that when exposed to air gets warm and you can put it inside your shoes to keep your feet warm. (I use them for both my hands and feet in cold weather sports in winter).

(the bad thing is its disposable after one/two use).

i forgot to add... my mother had this as i was growing up. extreme cold in hands feet. she eventually got arthritis in the hands and feet, so it might be a sign of something to come. not necessarily, but just saying...

No idea on a diagnosis but I just had a fun experiment using a thermal imaging scanner I use for industrial work. Surface temperatures varied markedly, on the order of 6-10 degrees F depending on surface checked and clothing cover or exposure to ambient of 65F. One possible use would be to check for changes.

One possible benefit for the OP is whether actual measurements match up with sensations felt to determine if the body's hot/cold transmission system is functioning as anticipated. As an example, I can place an exposed hand, which doesn't feel 'cold' in and of itself, on a part of my body that is at the top range of temp and that part feels the 'cold' of the hand and the hand feels the warm of the other area. Otherwise, either area is returning neutral feedback. Heh, more fun fodder for holiday parties.