pinched nerve- Rotator cuff

Anyone have this condition? What helps you to work thru the discomfort?

I just got back from my physician and he has recommended the first few days to ice/heat along with limited use.

This condition came suddenly so now any movement i make seems to jar the pain. Its luckily my non dominant arm but simple reaching or attending to clothing changes is taking longer and takes my breath away with the immediate pain.

Your suggestions are welcoming.,

For any body pain/ache from skeletal to period pain, I make up a combination of two parts cayenne pepper tincture, to one part each, devil's claw and comfrey tinctures. Wearing a thin rubber glove, apply every 15 mins or so until pain subsides. This really is an amazing combo. It works for me every time no matter how severe the pain. Some people can't take the heat of the cayenne and certain body parts are more sensitive than other parts- instead of making up the combo, you can combine the three accordingly, each time you need them.

Also, feldenkrais therapy is really effective in managing and avoiding pain. No massage is involved, it's all about learning how to move efficiently to prevent injury. Worth checking out.

DivorcedDad123

I used to get this often.I got pinched nerves in my shoulder blade too. I'd always just work through it,although it did make it harder,it caused me to slow down and really be aware of proper form.

The shoulder blade was helped by seeing a chiropractor,so you might want to try that route.

Mine was caused by the way I slept,so I make a point of trying to sleep in a different position. No more arm under the pillow or over my head.

HopeForTomorrow

Hey Tayla, did your doc distinguish between a rotator cuff tear and a pinched neck nerve? I wasn't sure from your description which you were referring to. Both cause shoulder pain and it's sometimes hard to tell the difference. Do you have pain (or especially numbness/tingling) below the elbow, or does the pain stop at the elbow? When you put your hand on your head, do you have pain (worse than in other positions)?

I ask because the treatments can be different. Short-term, the ice and heat should provide some relief. But if you keep having pain long-term that's when you might want to consider arthroscopic tendon repair (surgery) or physical therapy.

Just my opinion. I hope it goes away with just rest and short-term treatments. I know it can be really painful.

• Author

Greetings hope, and thank you for the questions. Because I went to Urgent Care , my general physician only got the scan they sent him. He said due to the swelling it could be either so I have to bring the swelling down before a final diagnosis is determined. The pain is from the neck to elbow, with numbness at times at the wrist and hand. Its only if I try to raise. my arm to the sides and bend them towards the hips. So basically if Putting on a shirt.., the pain is permeating until i move it into another position. The hot/ cold treatment is helping. Each day is getting more tolerable... Just those moments where I forget and move it to the side that the pain jolts...

I agree that physical therapy maybe a way to manage this. I'm 99% against surgery... Since its so far a deterrent but not a disability if that makes sense.

( thank you to the previous posters too, your suggestions and experience shed light on alternative ways to manage this)

Edited by Tayla
HopeForTomorrow

I'm glad the ice/heat are helping.

IMO... pinched neck nerve (cervical radiculopathy) based on symptoms. Not trying to diagnose you since obviously I can't do that! But almost never see numbness/tingling (or pain) below the elbow in rotator cuff injuries. Also the pain "jolt" and location is more typical of a pinched nerve. But it could be either, and I hope you get a diagnosis soon. It may go away on its own; for your sake I hope that is the case.

Steroid injections are also an option (for either diagnosis) on down the road if things don't improve. The problem is they tend to lose effectiveness over time.

Steroid injections are also an option (for either diagnosis) on down the road if things don't improve. The problem is they tend to lose effectiveness over time.

There has obviously been some damage to the tissues in that area, which has caused the pinching. Comfrey herb will heal this. It's highly astringent so it will drain away the fluid and disperse any internal bruising. It really is an amazing herb. It is one of the herbs that heals gangrene, which modern medicine has not found a cure for-apart from amputation. You can buy comfrey cream/tincture from most health food stores. Use it as often as needed.

Comfrey will never lose it's effectiveness.

Edited by truthtripper
Except you might just lose your liver.

My grandmother was a herbalist. She grew comfrey in her garden and ate one leaf everyday. She lived for a healthy 98 years.

• Like 1

Nobody's talking about mulscular imbalances which is almost certainly a contributing factor. My shoulder problems were fixed by taking note of kyphotic posture problems and working to stretch the neck, trapezius, pec minor, anterior deltoid and the bicep, as well as strengthening posterior muscles such as the rear delt, lats etc. I had a brutal issue with my AC which healed when shoulder imbalances were corrected. Do you sit at a desk most of the day? Do you have a posture issue? Have a look at Elliott Hulse's channel on youtube regarding the shoulder https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=elliott+hulse+shoulder

His videos helped me a ton.

Edited by lchf
  • Like 1
Nobody's talking about mulscular imbalances which is almost certainly a contributing factor. My shoulder problems were fixed by taking note of kyphotic posture problems and working to stretch the neck, trapezius, pec minor, anterior deltoid and the bicep, as well as strengthening posterior muscles such as the rear delt, lats etc. I had a brutal issue with my AC which healed when shoulder imbalances were corrected. Do you sit at a desk most of the day? Do you have a posture issue? Have a look at Elliott Hulse's channel on youtube regarding the shoulder https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=elliott+hulse+shoulder

His videos helped me a ton.

Feldenkrais therapy automatically addresses this.

Never heard of it but if you say so.

I'm a pianist and used to have a lot of trouble with my shoulders some years ago. I tried physiotherapy, myotherapy, osteotherapy, rolfing and acupuncture. None of these worked. I found that any kind of massage, exercises or stretches only exacerbated my pain. After my lecturer suggested I try feldenkrais(which I'd also never heard of before), I joined a feldenkrais class. It entails first lying on the floor and feeling what parts of your body are in contact with it and how do they feel eg. heavy, light, tense, relaxed etc, which is called "body scanning". Then for an hour, the teacher verbally and sometimes through touch, guides the class through a series of gentle body movements. The aim is to develop an awareness of how we move and how we can make changes in our movements, to carry our bodies more efficiently in daily life. It's great to de-stress, which was my problem. You can't play the piano with ease if you have tense shoulders.

The feldenkrais technique is based on the idea that efficient movement can only be achieved when the whole body is free to participate in an action. For example, this is why you see concert pianists occasionally jumping off their seats during intense moments. In order to create the excitement with ease, they need to use the momentum of their entire bodies. But even for calm, quiet passages, the whole body is still engaged, but in a different way.

This is the opposite of how we usually move. If you observe how you pick up a cup sitting on the table in front of you, for instance, you'll notice that you only use your arm and not the rest of your body. In a feldenkrais class, you are encouraged to allow your whole body to move, as you pick up the cup and to explore how you can make that movement with the least amount of effort. In practising feldenkrais, in effect, you learn how to avoid strain and injury.

Feldenkrais lessons are also available privately, which are especially suitable for people needing to overcome painful injury.

• Author

Thank you truth for the two suggestions! Will research comfrey. This technique you speak of sounds promising. Will see who in my area has this for possible sessions.

Definitely a no though on the steroids. They are poison as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Tayla
  • Like 1
Thank you truth for the two suggestions! Will research comfrey. This technique you speak of sounds promising. Will see who in my area has this for possible sessions.

Definitely a no though on the steroids. They are poison as far as I'm concerned.

If you're looking for private sessions, you may have to try a few therapists before you find one that suits you ie: if you're not happy with your first session, don't give up!

• Author

Currently reading up on the history of this technique! Quite fascinating! Since it works in , inclusion of the entire body, it has postive results in mental areas too! Parrell'd in sime ways to yoga and meditation.

There is a referral site so I may call them since they have standards in order to be licensed in this technique. So glad you suggested this!

Currently reading up on the history of this technique! Quite fascinating! Since it works in , inclusion of the entire body, it has postive results in mental areas too! Parrell'd in sime ways to yoga and meditation.

There is a referral site so I may call them since they have standards in order to be licensed in this technique. So glad you suggested this!

Yes, it has helped me deal much better with my PTSD-I feel more in my body and have more control over it- although my emotional healing is still a work in progress.

Re finding a suitable therapist- in my search, I discovered that the personality of the therapist affects how they approach you and your injury and the manner in which they move your body. I'm sensitive to touch, so it took me about 2 months to find a person with a particularly gentle touch. If you have similar needs, find a therapist who also works with babies, that will save you 2 months searching.

So if you bury a rabbit's foot in the backyard with some ragweed on the next full moon, that should help. Just kidding. Kind of.

Based on your description, it's hard to tell what's going on.

If you turn your head toward the affected shoulder (with your arms at your side) and you feel a sudden pinch and pain that radiates down your arm or any numbness/tingling, it's probably a pinched nerve (i.e., cervical radiculopathy). It might go away with NSAIDs (i.e. ibuprofen/naproxen), but if not, seeing a physician and a short course of steroids would be the next step.

If raising your arm above your head or performing certain movements with your shoulder (especially if you point your entire arm straight ahead like you're pointing a gun then internally rotate at the shoulder) causes pain in the shoulder, then it might be a rotator cuff problem. Resting, NSAIDs, and ice will help, and you should gradually ease back into overhead movements. If it's not working on your own, seeing a sports med doc and/or a physical therapist might help.

Probably out to at least try this stuff before you get expensive imaging, etc.

Edited by htmshsj

I have had a compressed nerve before. They said chances of getting over it were slim, but I went to the doctor and got a referral to physical therapy and went one time to physical therapy to have them test which nerve they thought it was and then give me a set of exercises to do -- and that plus Meloxicam antiinflammatories cured it. You have to stop sleeping certain ways and all that, plus exercise it carefully the way they tell you to, and you can't wait until months later to do it. Need to do it asap to have the best chance of healing. Good luck.