I hate going to the tanning bed.

So I leave in like 5 weeks for my cruise and I don't wanna burn like a mofo. I'm a redhead, but I can tan very well (no freckles either). So I started going to the tanning bed. :o I feel guilty and hypocritical. I hate the tanning bed. The smell of my baked skin is nasty. :( I fear that I'm going to get wrinkles from the exposure, but I can't burn!

But there's not a lot about the tanning bed that I really like. I'm afraid of catching fungus for the .28 seconds that I have my socks off with my feet on the floor racing into the bed. Then the way my heels lay on the bed, I'm so afraid I'm going to catch something then too. Then I start itching, like, oh GOD I bet I'll end up with fungus AND crabs. I get claustrophobic. I hate waiting there doing nothing. Except baking, that is. And it's a fake tan look.

Sorry guys, I've done it again.

/rant.

I am going to the Bahammas next week and am doing the same thing ( gotta be tan in that Bikini ;):) )

I have been going to the spray tan it only lasts 1 minute and comes out even kinda like an AirBrush along with lotion self tanner Neurtogena and Mary Kay work's really well but you have to constantly wash your hands or they will turn brown and it will look like you can't whipe your ARSE!! :laugh::laugh:

• Author

But SH that doesn't actually gear you up for the rays, does it? I thought it just made you look dark. You're still gonna burn like a mad man! Drink lots of alky!

loveregardless

...had to go to the tanning bed a few times before we went on cruises. They both have fair skin and burn really easily. I used to do the tanning bed thing, just to see how dark I could actually get--bad move, apparently there is no "dark as you can get" for me, I just start looking black, and of course now I don't do it because it's not healthy, I don't even go out in the sun without 45 now. But back then, I know exactly what you mean, the itchy skin that feels like leather, the greasy nasty sweatiness of laying on that glass, all of it. No thanks! I'll be creamy and smooth as apposed to tan and supposedly "sexier"...or maybe I'll try that spray tan thing, if I feel so inclined. All I know, is that the women who tan consistently for years, like a lot of them down here in Fla do, look terrible, terrible, terrible, they literally look like alligator hand bags. :sick:

Really? I love my tanning bed. I say mine like if I own it..lol...but the apartment complex i go to has one that you can use for free for 12 minutes.

The only thing I hate is the fact that its the one you have to stand up in..so I start getting lightheaded and hott and my hands start feeling heavy and I just dont know what to do with my hand because they are just hanging there u know..lol

As for the fungus thing I stand there in my sandals I take them off though and stand on top of them so i dont get marks and then when its done I put them back on the right way and walk out.

Fungus free!!! lol besides everyone at my complex uses the bed eeewwwww! I would not stand there barefoot for a sec!

loveregardless

it's one thing to do it "sometimes" and another thing to do it all the time, and at that, all the time-- for years. Some of these women around here are like in their 60's and just look like death with clothes on. I do not ever want to have wrinkles in the first place, let along all that mess. And the skin cancer thing is no fun either. Bad sun tanners. Bad! :p

My ass always used to get those big white marks on it when I tanned. I thought it was just because my ass was abnormally large and blocked the rays or something, then I figured out it was circulation thing, haha:lmao:

savethedrama4allama

There you go with your foot thing again, Tiki.

I am the whitest mother on earth, I swear. I tanned for the first time and for about 2 months over the summer and got tired of it. Now I slather on Loreal bronzer after my shower twice a week. It turns my fingernails yellow, sure. But other than that its pretty convincing and risk-free.

What am I talking about? With all this fur, I barely have any exposed flesh. This is only when I'm freshly shorn for the spring.

• Author
Originally posted by savethedrama4yrmama

There you go with your foot thing again, Tiki.

I can't help it!

:Runs out of room, bursts in tears:

The tanning place I go to is very clean...its the only place I will go for an indoor tan.

They have a very good reputation and Ive been going there for over a year now with no problems.

I prefer the stand up beds because you get a much darker tan alot quicker.

I always feel good after tanning as well. Especially now since winter is practically here. But still...there is nothing like being out in the natural sunlight.. ahhhh summer...

I try to go the minimum time/days I can to keep from looking pasty...without overdoing it...so it's usually just 1 to 2xweek.....and I usually cover my face, neck and chest and just put self tanning lotion on those parts....to keep the wrinkles at bay......it just takes the "edge" off of my whiteness and seems to make me look healthier and I don't have to wear as much makeup.....do you guys think that 1 to 2 times per week is bad?!

Oh, it's a real tan. It's just fake sun.

Remember ladies, tan fat looks better than white fat. And having a horrible sunburn on your vacation is NO FUN.

I have to look ahead to my old age--a tan means being a wrinkly an old woman! I'm a redhead with fair skin, so to avoid burning on vacation, I use good old-fashioned SPF. Works like a charm! (Plus, I like my skin fair better than tan anyway.)

creativelyobsessed

the best stuff i have found is by L'Oreal -- it is called "sublime bronze". I always thought self-tanner or tan in a can was risky, messy, etc....but then my gf and i went away and she was a beautiful bronze color. i assumed she had been under the bed for weeks -- nope -- she brought the stuff with her and i used it. it is very sheer, non-smudgy or greasy, just perfect. there are different color levels, but i am fair and i got "medium deep". it's perfect. you can apply two sheer coats to your skin, let it set in for about 30 minutes, then go to bed (preferably not on white sheets, but it really doesn't smudge at all unless you drool in your sleep like me). then just put on your regular spf 30 or whatever it is you use. you can reapply coats and coats of it and it is great.

before i just used it for vacation, then i started looking pasty and sickly so i have started using it 2x a week. it gets rid of the ghostly whiteness.

give it a shot, you can't screw it up or streak your skin unless you dump it on and don't rub it in. be sure to exfoliate your skin a bit and don't put on any moisturizer beforehand.

you can find it at walmart or a larger store that will carry self-tanners....by the way, i tried a clinique on that was like $30 and it didn't compare to the L'Oreal $6 squeeze bottle! good luck

• Author

Thank you. :)

What I worry about is burning in the sun while I'm on the cruiseboat. I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time in the sun, and since the water attracts the sun, I'll get burned on the boat. Then we're spending time on numerous beaches at our destination. Sunscreen is a must!

Your best bet for a bronzer is to use mystic tan or have someone airbrush it. It looks bad (usually) on people who don't have a tan but use it. A combination of a base tan AND sunblock will help you from burning, which is MUCH worse than aquiring a base tan. It is.......