is this enough strength training

Can anyone tell me if this is adequate strength training?

I do cardiovascular usually 4-5 times per week (cycling or hill walking on tredmill). I do some squats, some pilates moves with ankle weights, some core work outs and use an ab roller. I cannot really do too much work on my shoulders as one of them is deformed and permanently out of socket - this has muscle atrophy so I have to be careful not to do more damage. However, I do some work on my arms by way of lady's press ups (press ups but without the full body, just using the upper half of my body)

is this enough to build muscle to burn fat?

I read mostly cardio here. Besides the squats and maybe the core workout/ab roller (isn't the ab roller hard on your shoulders though?) little strenght training.

For strenght training without or less shoulder work I am thinking squat and deadlift for sure, and besides that depending on how you handle it maybe close grip bench press since I am assuming you are doing lady presses because it is too much on your shoulders. Close grip BP puts more emphasis on the triceps and less so on pecs and shoulders. Alternative would be cable pushdowns I think but have never done that. And rows but be sure you can handle that. Otherwise lat pulldowns or if that is too much curls. That way you still have a lot of legs, back, core and arm training with less emphasis on shoulders.

Example would 2x strenght training per week.

A. Squat and Rows/Lat Pulldowns/Curls

B. Deadlift and Close Grip Bench Press/Cable Pushdowns

All exercises 3 sets of 5 reps. If your shoulder starts hurting you could also try upping the reps, that might help. Go 3 x 10 for example but not much more than that. Start very low and add a little amount of weight each training session. Like 2,5 kg or so.

is this enough to build muscle to burn fat?

No. You can squat without putting any pressure on your shoulders, I'm guessing you aren't going particularly heavy and you should try.

Gradual increase of weight loading is what builds muscle, I don't see anything in your original post that indicates this. So much cardio is bad in fact as it creates muscle atrophy, it's not what you want.

I'd seek professional advice on the shoulder injury, a friend of mine trains with a good trainer and he can do bench presses even with his dodgy shoulder. 'lady's press ups' are pretty useless.

• Author

I read mostly cardio here. Besides the squats and maybe the core workout/ab roller (isn't the ab roller hard on your shoulders though?) little strenght training.

For strenght training without or less shoulder work I am thinking squat and deadlift for sure, and besides that depending on how you handle it maybe close grip bench press since I am assuming you are doing lady presses because it is too much on your shoulders. Close grip BP puts more emphasis on the triceps and less so on pecs and shoulders. Alternative would be cable pushdowns I think but have never done that. And rows but be sure you can handle that. Otherwise lat pulldowns or if that is too much curls. That way you still have a lot of legs, back, core and arm training with less emphasis on shoulders.

Example would 2x strenght training per week.

A. Squat and Rows/Lat Pulldowns/Curls

B. Deadlift and Close Grip Bench Press/Cable Pushdowns

All exercises 3 sets of 5 reps. If your shoulder starts hurting you could also try upping the reps, that might help. Go 3 x 10 for example but not much more than that. Start very low and add a little amount of weight each training session. Like 2,5 kg or so.

The problem is that I'm trying to improvise. I do not have any weights at home (apart from leg weights ) to use.

• Author

sorry I don't think I explained myself well enough to be fair.

I only want to tone. I don't want to get ripped.

I have got fairly toned just by doing cycling (my butt has become more pert). I just want to tone the areas that will not get toned on a cycle or on the treadmill - i.e. this is why I am using an ab wheel (which says on the box is strength training for your core). That's one area. Then I am using exercises which tone the thighs, glutes and inner thighs using pilates type movements and leg weights.

sorry I don't think I explained myself well enough to be fair.

I only want to tone. I don't want to get ripped.

There is no such thing as toning. What you do is you grow your muscles and decrease your body fat. To get 'ripped' is actually very difficult, you have to eat the right foods and get to a certain size that's hard for a woman without supplements. It takes years and it takes dedicated effort. I wish women would stop saying this, you won't go to bed 'normal' and wake up as Miss Olympia. How many women have you seen in real life that actually looked 'ripped'?

I have got fairly toned just by doing cycling (my butt has become more pert). I just want to tone the areas that will not get toned on a cycle or on the treadmill - i.e. this is why I am using an ab wheel (which says on the box is strength training for your core). That's one area. Then I am using exercises which tone the thighs, glutes and inner thighs using pilates type movements and leg weights.

What you are doing is decreasing body fat but that only works to a certain extent without building some muscle. After a while you will plateau out and if you lose too much muscle because you don't eat properly and do too much cardio, your body fat will remain mainly and you will become what is known as 'skinny fat'.