Losing Weight Without Trying?

In the last 5 months I have lost 20 pounds without trying. I'm not that worried about it since I'm overweight anyway and can afford to lose probably another 10 pounds. I'm not skinny yet. I weighed 230 pounds back in March and now I weigh 210 pounds.

A little background. Cancer is part of my medical history. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with lymphoma and I remember losing weight without trying for 3 months before I was diagnosed. I did chemotherapy and radiation and it helped shrink the tumor down and I have been in remission for the last 18 months. At least as far as I know but with recent symptoms in the last 5 months I have my suspicions that the cancer has come back but possibly in a different part of my body.

The first time they found lymphoma in my neck and chest. For the last 5 months I've had intermittent abdominal pain on my upper right side and a decreased appetite for food. I got recent blood work back and it shows my blood sugar is low for the first time down to 59. Normal range is between 70-100. So I don't know if cancer has spread to my liver.

So what other things besides cancer can lead to weight loss without trying? And why does cancer cause weight loss?

As I said I'm not that worried about the weight loss since I can afford to lose some more anyway. I am 6 ft 2 inches tall and 190 pounds is actually where I should be.

I'm not sure what to say besides Get Thee To A Doctor Pronto.

This. I would be more concerned about the cancer coming back over losing some weight.

• Like 4
seekingpeaceinlove

Considering your history of cancer, the symptoms you're experiencing - abdominal pain, unintended weight loss, and decreased appetite is alarming.

For your health and peace of mind, please go see a doctor ASAP.

Time is of the essence.

• Like 2
  • Author

Okay I am due for a follow up cat scan in October anyway. So what is it about some cancers that cause weight loss without trying when under normal circumstances it takes hard work to lose weight like 20 pounds in 5 months?

seekingpeaceinlove

I'm not a medical professional but I suspect that weight loss occurs with some cancers because:

(1) Affected organs may not be functioning properly and the body cannot absorb much-needed nutrients

and/or

(2) The cancer or tumor is drawing energy from fat cells to fuel the cancerous growth.

In any case, you've been experiencing symptoms for much too long..5 months was it? Waiting 3 more months will mean you've waited 8 months to see a doctor from when you noticed these signs.

I really cannot urge you enough to see the doc NOW. It is a matter of life & death.

Why are you waiting?

Edited by seekingpeaceinlove
Okay I am due for a follow up cat scan in October anyway.

Dude... Don't wait till October. That is 3 months from now. The earlier they catch it the better.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm not a medical professional but I suspect that weight loss occurs with some cancers because:

(1) Affected organs may not be functioning properly and the body cannot absorb much-needed nutrients

and/or

(2) The cancer or tumor is drawing energy from fat cells to fuel the cancerous growth.

In any case, you've been experiencing symptoms for much too long..5 months was it? Waiting 3 more months will mean you've waited 8 months to see a doctor from when you noticed these signs.

I really cannot urge you enough to see the doc NOW. It is a matter of life & death.

Why are you waiting?

Because if the cancer has come back then more than likely it is terminal and there's nothing the doctors can do for me anyway. I have a rare subtype of lymphoma. I'm not so sure I want any further treatment anyway when the quality of my life may be better off just leaving it alone.

The short period of remission after the end of treatment plus the various symptoms indicate a metastatic process has taken place. A short remission time doesn't look promising for my future. Each time a lymphoma patient tries treatment after a relapse the remission time just gets shorter and shorter.

Because if the cancer has come back then more than likely it is terminal and there's nothing the doctors can do for me anyway. I have a rare subtype of lymphoma. I'm not so sure I want any further treatment anyway when the quality of my life may be better off just leaving it alone.

The short period of remission after the end of treatment plus the various symptoms indicate a metastatic process has taken place. A short remission time doesn't look promising for my future. Each time a lymphoma patient tries treatment after a relapse the remission time just gets shorter and shorter.

Think positive, go to your doctor!

• Author

Most women who suspect they are pregnant without getting tested are really correct and they are really pregnant. They know it intuitively. Well it's the same thing with terminal cancer. If a person suspects that their cancer cannot be cured there must be a reason for it.

I hope there is nothing wrong with you.

I hope you just lost weight for no serious problem.

But don't ignore such a serious thing, kill it while you still you can .

Most women who suspect they are pregnant without getting tested are really correct and they are really pregnant. They know it intuitively. Well it's the same thing with terminal cancer. If a person suspects that their cancer cannot be cured there must be a reason for it.

Yeah, probably the same reason that person allows their weight to climb to 210 pounds: learned helplessness.

This isn't a medical forum. You should go and seek a doctor like any responsible adult.

• Like 2
passingbreeze

This is a no-brainer! I'm very familiar with Lymphoma, and it looks and sounds to me like yours has returned. Please don't put off seeing your doctor ASAP.

amaysngrace

I understand your fear of going but burying your head in the sand won't make everything okay.

If anything it could mean less treatment for an earlier stage or more treatment for a later stage.

Don't be an ostrich. And good luck. xo

• Author

Well the cat scan has been moved up to next week. I saw my doctor today. The weight loss was concerning since I have never lost 20 pounds in 5 months even with hard work with exercise and diet. So to lose that much weight without putting in effort is concerning.

• Like 3
  • Author

Cat scan is coming Monday. Meanwhile I feel I lost more weight today than earlier this week. I had to tighten the belt on my pants. I was really surprised because I consumed alot of fat in my diet throughout this week. I had at least 1 high fat meal for the past 4-5 days. So this weight loss without trying is not all in my head.

So the bottom line is that you would have to have something seriously wrong in your body to be able to get away with consuming that much fat throughout the week and still losing enough weight by the weekend to the point of belt tightening on the pants. A normal person has to work hard for weight loss.

So we will see what happens when I go for the cat scan Monday.

• Like 1

Darren2013, I really hope the cancer isn't back for you.

However, if it is, I suggest looking up cannibus treatment paired with whatever your doctor suggests. Newcure .org can maybe help you. I've received stuff from them before so I know it's legit. Good luck.

• Author

Yeah but the blood tests have ruled out diabetes. My sugar levels have always been fine. If anything I recently have developed low blood sugar levels. I know it isn't a fluke because I have dizzy episodes for a few seconds sometimes. So if anything I may be trending towards hypoglycemia.

My H1AC test was good last year at a 5.3. Anything less than 6.0 is considered normal by the lab. It takes average blood sugar over 3 month period.

My normal fasting sugar is between 77-85 range. Then it dropped to 64 and then 58.