how to lose it?

I know some say diet n exercise, I do these things, but my belly remains fat

any thoughts? am female, if that matters

Is your weight in general within a healthy range? How much 'fat' are we talking about here? A little bit is normal and fine especially for women, as most women are biologically predisposed to store fat around the belly, butt and hips (don't be fooled by pictures of models with concave stomachs). But if your weight in general is over the healthy limit, you'd need to lose some. There are many types of diets and exercise regimens out there and you might need to look around for one that fits you.

My friend has a big middle and a thin and toned everything else.

It could just be that that's your body type.

• Like 1

Weight training, interval training like sprinting.

I naturally put weight on around my middle and what works are heavy weights as well as interval running sessions. They speed up my metabolism to burn fat from there - without losing muscle everywhere else.

I see larger middle on girls that do mainly cardio, they lose muscle and some fat too but because they don't build muscle replace what they lost, they get left with flab.

The big one though is diet. You probably eat too much carbs

• Like 2
regine_phalange

It has to do with body type and it's a matter of build. Slender belly is easier to achieve for women who are pear shaped, just like slender legs are easier for women who are apple shaped. I have toned legs, the lines on my calves are visible even with flats; however I will never be able to make them slender, because that is how I'm made. Don't worry about it.

If you've done this seriously to the level that the rest of your body is very fit and you have a good overall fitness level then all that's left to do is tone. (whilst keeping up the cardio)

Theres loads of stomach toning exercises out there.

• Sit ups, building up to sit ups with dumbbell
  • lie on your back and hold your legs just off the ground, work up to doing it with ankle weights
  • plank on your elbows and toes and hold it steady

how to lose it?

any thoughts? am female, if that matters

No idea. How can one say anything without knowing your height and weight? I'm 5'5 and 118...have a bit of a tummy since my last pregnancy. I just have to accept it.

It you are slender then tone up. If overweight, lose weight. No magic.

Diet and exercise is all there is. Just because you diet doesn't mean your weight is ideal.

• Like 1
That's a very broad statement. All carbohydrates are not bad or responsible for overweight.

Carbs blast belly fat - Why Carbs Help You Lose Weight - Health.com

Too much anything is bad because excess calories make you put weight on. People who don't efficiently process carbs (many of us) tend to put them on their bellies, a bigger belly is usually caused by excess carbs. This doesn't mean 'no carbs at all' or that 'carbs are bad', it means excess.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 1

Well anything in excess is going to cause weight. You may as well say "too much protein" then. People make a lot of fuss about carbs being bad and that they don't think they process them. It's a fad. Maybe someone with celiac doesn't process gluten appropriately, but the majority of people are fine.

Running - my stomach shrunk doing this, not due to weight loss but I think, the fat jiggy up and down gives it exercise. My abs area rock hard now, such a strong core.

Well anything in excess is going to cause weight. You may as well say "too much protein" then. People make a lot of fuss about carbs being bad and that they don't think they process them. It's a fad. Maybe someone with celiac doesn't process gluten appropriately, but the majority of people are fine.

Not a fad. Unless you consider thousands of years of our ancestors eating mostly meat/fat/whatever they could scavenge in terms of veggies/fruits to be a fad. :)

seekingpeaceinlove

Along with great diet and exercise, try cutting out refined sugar from your diet for a month. See if you notice any changes..

I have a pear shaped body so when I gain weight it automatically goes to my midsection. I fell off the wagon a few years back and ballooned up to 150 pounds, and I'm still struggling to fix the weight around my mid-section.

I tried diets, crunches, and nothing worked.

3 months ago I started doing CrossFit and this is the first thing I've done where I see a noticeable difference in my stomach. With CrossFit it's high intensity and it's weight lifting. I actually am getting stomach abs too!

Diet is also a HUGE factor. Too much carbs/sugar will kill you if you are a pear shape, or have weight gain automatically go to the midsection.

Loosing weight is a behavioral problem. The focus should be on getting behaviors in order.

You have to master mental/emotional techniques that will make you put the right things in your mouth habitually. The bottom line is, and always will be, the amount of energy you consume versus the amount of energy you use.

What kind of techniques am I talking about? If you actually think your weight is important, record what you eat. Study your eating habits like a zoologist studies an animal (Do you binge? When, why? Have too much desert?). Recording what you eat shows you what your problems are and gives you a better ability to make decisions about what to eat. In the long run you can't just use iron will against your tummy. You must trick yourself.

Recording what you eat is a massive habit change to your life. Do you know how to have massive habit changes on purpose or do you just fall into them? You have to get addicted to recording things. You have to start small, trick yourself into loving it, and have hope.

I can predict exactly what my weight will be on a spreadsheet using the Harris-Benedict equation (google it). And I do. I record everything I eat, how I train, and how much I weigh throughout the day. I carry around a little comp book and a pen everywhere I go and (almost) nothing goes in my face which I don't know the exact calories for via prepackaging or weighing out my food scale. You don't have to be that extreme--my job depends on what I weigh.

It is possible to lose weight without recording what you eat, but I don't recommend it. Whatever you do, you have to make habits on purpose with those three things I already mentioned: start small, trick yourself into loving it (reward yourself), have hope. You gotta get addicted to it.

• Like 1