Exercise/Workout with a bad cold, or not?

I came down with some kind of bug on Thursday. It started with a sore throat and body aches, not it's head and chest congestion. Green color in my flem (TMI I know).

I have already missed one workout, and one mountain bike ride, and I am going nuts.

I did some research online and it says it's ok to work out with a cold, just listen to your body.

My only reason to not work out, would be to shorten the duration of this bug/cold, whatever it is. I have this thought that if I exercise, I will weaken my body and it will last longer?

I am thinking go to the gym tonight but go light, take it easy.

Thoughts/Opinions/Experiences?

If you're otherwise healthy, IMO a moderated solo workout would be what I would do. I personally prefer to limit contact with others to avoid infecting/being infected during any contagious periods of being sick. You can always throw some cross tires on the mountain bike and do some road work with modest anaerobic periods. Remember, your body's immune system is fighting the infection and needs resources to do that. IMO, moderation is key.

• Like 1

I was always told moderate exercise is ok. Just don't go overboard bc your body is working hard to fight the virus too. Also understand the side effects of any meds you may be on. Do they increase heart rate, constrict arteries, cause drowsiness, etc?

I remember working out on sudafed a while back. Didn't feel good.

• Like 1

If you work out at regular intervals anyway it's probably worse to change your routine and not workout. You have to be careful if you have lung infections though...

I've done it before, it had actually helped get me better quicker. I think I sort of sweated out the bug and a higher inner body temp I'm sure helped kill some bacteria. However I made damn sure to have myself completely covered up after I was done, I didn't want to get hit by cold air full of sweat.

Same here! I've always been told to rest, but I believe in some cases, staying active does help. When it comes to sore throat, it actually worsens if I rest...I wake up full of congestion. However, if you're feeling light-headed, tired or fatigued, it's best to lie down and rest in those cases.

• Author
Same here! I've always been told to rest, but I believe in some cases, staying active does help. When it comes to sore throat, it actually worsens if I rest...I wake up full of congestion. However, if you're feeling light-headed, tired or fatigued, it's best to lie down and rest in those cases.

I woke up feeling a little worse today, coughing like crazy, congested. Feel much better now though. So, I think it does make sense to continue your routine, maybe just tone it down a bit.

And, like someone said, pay attention to any meds you are taking, especially the ones that increase your hear rate. I'm on Mucinex DM only; I try to stay away from the Sudafeds and such.

It always makes me feel better, particularly in this kind of weather. Out in the fresh air, blood pumping in your ears.

Exercise does wonders for a stuffy noes!!

Plus I couldn't not exercise, I would lose my mind - I guess its a bit like making a smoker go cold turkey!! When I had my mountain biking accident It was awful - made me super grumpy, restless & got really bad cramp all down my legs! (clearly a bit of a junkie on the exercise endorphins :laugh:).

• Like 3
  • Author
It always makes me feel better, particularly in this kind of weather. Out in the fresh air, blood pumping in your ears.

Exercise does wonders for a stuffy noes!!

Plus I couldn't not exercise, I would lose my mind - I guess its a bit like making a smoker go cold turkey!! When I had my mountain biking accident It was awful - made me super grumpy, restless & got really bad cramp all down my legs! (clearly a bit of a junkie on the exercise endorphins :laugh:).

I recently hurt my right hand, on the top, in a MTB clinic, and it's driving me nuts not MTBing! It's better, just taking a long time to heal up.

Hurts a bit today after hitting the gym last night.

Getting old (older) stinks!

I think with a cold/infection, you do feel better after exercising, I just wonder if that's just a rush, and, should you rest and not exercise.

I recently hurt my right hand, on the top, in a MTB clinic, and it's driving me nuts not MTBing! It's better, just taking a long time to heal up.

Totally with you! I was laying there in hospital just dying to get back on my bike!! Reckon my mum was hoping id never get back on one again!! :laugh:I just wanted to get back on and hit that downhill section, do it like I know I could, like id done it 100x before, put my mistake right!!

I think with a cold/infection, you do feel better after exercising, I just wonder if that's just a rush, and, should you rest and not exercise.

I dunno, I think it can vary person to person but I personally find that I only get ill when I stop. All the time i'm up in the morning for a jog, going to work, playing football, out on the boats, biking, odd jobs on the local farm - and whatever else that keeps my days busy and active, i'm totally fine. I brush off most colds and things quickly.

Its when I stop, if something makes me stop then I crash and get sick.

I think your body adapts so maybe it just comes down to what your body's used to!

I was always told as well that you can sweat out viruses and colds by exercising, providing you drink. This is my granddads teachings though, I think it comes from the same place as pushing through the pain barrier will fix your injury.

Edited by Shepp
  • Author
I was always told as well that you can sweat out viruses and colds by exercising, providing you drink. This is my granddads teachings though, I think it comes from the same place as pushing through the pain barrier will fix your injury.

I grew up with this message too! My step dad worked in heavy construction, never missed a day of work in 40+ years.

My only concern, is does exercising while "sicK' prolong the sickness. No way to really know, I guess.

I only have anecdotal evidence but this is a bad idea… you're body is already under stress, adding to it by exertion will only prolong or worsen you're illness or injury.

My only concern, is does exercising while "sicK' prolong the sickness. No way to really know, I guess.

I only have anecdotal evidence but this is a bad idea… you're body is already under stress, adding to it by exertion will only prolong or worsen you're illness or injury.

I think maybe, Science says 'yes' and practice says 'no'...in my experience at least.

I heard from a fitness expert that if the symptoms are above the neck, like a cold, you can work out. Oftentimes that clears up congestion and you feel better afterwards. If symptoms are below the neck, like flu, shivering, fever, fatigue, don't work out and when you start back up go slow the first week so you don't have a relapse.

Meanwhile take massive does of vitamin C and drink lots of hot decaffeinated beverages, teas, soups.

• Like 1
  • Author
I heard from a fitness expert that if the symptoms are above the neck, like a cold, you can work out. Oftentimes that clears up congestion and you feel better afterwards. If symptoms are below the neck, like flu, shivering, fever, fatigue, don't work out and when you start back up go slow the first week so you don't have a relapse.

Meanwhile take massive does of vitamin C and drink lots of hot decaffeinated beverages, teas, soups.

I have heard this too. I am doubling up on the Vitamin C and drinking tons of water.

And I refuse to take antibiotics unless I have too!

I grew up with this message too! My step dad worked in heavy construction, never missed a day of work in 40+ years.

If you're really feeling sick, fatigued etc, strenuous exercise will likely make you feel worse, since your body is working to rid the illness. I had a cold that lasted 3 weeks and I almost never call in to work sick, but if you are just feeling horrible, fatigued, chills, chronic cough and hurting ribs, it's best to stay home. No one else wants to catch it!

I have heard this too. I am doubling up on the Vitamin C and drinking tons of water.

And I refuse to take antibiotics unless I have too!

antibiotics are only given if you've been sick for a few weeks as a precautionary measure or you have green mucous. In that case, you will need to have antibiotics, because you have a bacterial infection. Most colds are viruses though and antibiotics will not work on them. I was given antibiotics for a cold once, because I had been sick for such a long time.

• Author
you have green mucous.

That's me, nice and green! Ugh...still want to see if my body can fight this on it's own.

thefooloftheyear

There is no cure or remedy for a common cold...period..

Ill train with one, but my I can tell I am getting one before it actually hits me as I get noticeably weaker on my lifts..Sure enough..a day or two later I am stuffed all up and have a full blown cold..

I just take it easier, decrease my weight stacks, increase reps and concentrate on form..

YMMV

TFY

There is no cure or remedy for a common cold...period..

Attached below is something that may help to reduce some of the symptoms. Haven't yet tried it, but he has a few things that may help. I hope this can contribute some relief to some people who are looking.

Another thing that helps if you have access to it, is the use of a sauna for two reasons. It will help flush out toxins through your sweat, and secondly and more importantly, as you body temperature raises, the viruses or bacteria that causing the cold will replicate/reproduce at a much slower slower rate at higher body temperatures alebit temporarily. You may have noticed feeling better during a hot bath, shower ect.

Lastly, getting your body in in a more alkaline enviroment allow more nutrients to absorb in your body (basically eating more green foods and fresh vegetables) while reducing sugar and carb intake. If you are working out however, the meat/cheese/breads that you eat produces an acid enviroment rather than a base enviroment. You'll probably still want to eat the meats because of the needed protein for the muscle tissues to rebuild. I have heard that eating about 70% alkaline based foods to about 30% acidic based food can manage an appropriate pH level to get the body more quickly back in balance.

Edited by jba10582
  • Like 1
Hmmm, just checked WebMD, you know, since they are the authority! Seems green mucus can come from a common cold, too:

Mucus (Snot, Phlegm) Color, Function, Coughing, and More

Hmm, that is interesting indeed. Do you have health insurance with a minimal copay? If so, couldn't hurt to see a doctor just in case. It will go away much faster and you'll feel better. :)

If it's in your chest, stay home. If you are exhausted and feel as though you've been hit by a truck, stay home. If you're groggy and miserable, but you've got some energy, go work out.

Get well soon!!!

• Author
Hmm, that is interesting indeed. Do you have health insurance with a minimal copay? If so, couldn't hurt to see a doctor just in case. It will go away much faster and you'll feel better. :)

I do, and I feel even worse today, Got a Nedi Pot to flush my sinuses last night; felt good for a while, now worse. I hate going to the dr and I hate taking meds...ugh!