Hello everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it means when you spot for about a week before your period starts.

i have been on the BC for 2 years now and every few months this happens.. but lately it has been every month..

Is it normal?

Should I be worried? if so what should i be worried about?

any advice would be great

I don't think you should be worried about it. I think it's just due to fluctuating hormone levels from your pills. You can try making sure you take your pills at the same time every day and see if that helps. If you haven't talked to your pill prescriber about it you should. No big emergency, but at your next check up, unless the spotting is really bothering you, in which case I would go ahead and call to ask about it. They may want to switch your pills.

worriedgirl

I'm in the same situation. Although, I don't recall spotting ever before a period, not since I've been on BC (which has been a year). I do take my pill at the same time everyday, but forgot to take it the other day (I remembered about 4 hours after the time I usually take it), which was the same day my boyfriend and I were together and the condom broke. Could I be pregnant? Would I spot that soon??? It was only a few hours after I took my pill that I started spotting. I'm supposed to start my period in 5 days.

Now I have been under a lot of stress lately, and wondered if maybe that could cause it too.

I doubt very much you are pregnant. Spotting is very commmon on the pill. I wouldn't worry about it.

worriedgirl

This is kind of off topic but not really...it is still referring to what I said before. Still have the spotting today. I also am feeling pressure in my lower abdomen. Now, that usually is normal for me before starting my period, but could I also be starting earlier than normal? Is that at all possible while on the pill? Now the off topic part...could I have a urinary tract infection?

I am supposed to start my period on Wednesday. So I know I really shouldn't worry until then. It's just weird because I have never had this happen before, at least not since I have been on the pill. I used to be very irregular, which is why I went on the pill in the first place. That was a year ago, and I have been regular ever since...always starting on the Wednesday of the week I don't take the pills. But like I said in my last post, I have had a very emotionally stressful month, and I really hope that is all that this is.

There could be a lot of reasons for pressure in your lower abdomen, I would guess it's related to your period coming. If it gets worse, or if it is concerning you, of course you should go see your doctor.

As far as, the possibility of a UTI, the usual symptoms are burning/pain upon urination, feeling like you need to urinate all the time, urinating frequently, and sometimes noticing a change in the color or smell of your urine. If you have any of these symptoms you should go to your doctor.

I'm not really sure about whether you could get your period earlier than usual on the pill. That is something you would need to ask your doctor. Or perhaps others who are currently taking the pill will offer their experiences

Unlucky In Love

Ladies, I have tried birth control pills, the patch and everything.

There is NOTHING better than the depo shot for birth control. I've been on it for the last year and haven't had a single period. No more embarrassing red spots on my skirts. Now I feel confident everyday knowing that the monthly nightmare is over.

I remember one incident when I was taking the pill. I was having sex with my then boyfriend. All of a sudden, he pulled out and asked me if I was okay. I had started spotting. I was so embarrassed. I sent him to the drugstore to get me some tampons. That's when I knew it was time for a new form of birth control.

I've tried the patch too, but I had guy rip it off of me once during the heat of the moment. Plus it leaves little square marks on your skin.

The depo shot is the answer ladies. It has totally liberated me.

No periods, no spotting, not ever.

Make an appointment with your gynecologist today!

• 2 months later...

Hey ladies,.

Look i was having sex w/ my boyfriend and the condom broke on us. Since then we have been waiting to find out if i am pregnant. Well i started spotting 2 weeks before my expected period, Then i stopped spotting for a whole day. Then after that i started my period. Its lighter then usually. And I'm also still 2 weeks early on my expected period date. But i called my doter and he said if i am on my period I'm more then likely not pregnant. But i wake up in the morning feel as if i mite throw up and also i have been more hungry then usually. What do you ladies think? Please give me some good advice. I'm very young. I'm really worried.

• Author

i don't think you have to worry about it.. I don't think you are pregnant... your period is probably lighter because you have been spotting, which is understandable.. if you are that worried you can take a pregnancy test .. after two weeks of the incident it should be very reliable

hope i helped

Worried Girl - spotting is pretty normal, unless you are experiencing a lot of pain. If you are really worried, call your health practitioner.

Unlucky In Love - have you tried an IUD? I just got one, it's a 5 year one, and it has a small dosage of hormones that are similar to the ones in birth control pills, but they are released directly into your uterus instead of your blood stream like the pill does. I haven't had a period in MONTHS and I'm loving it, and that's totally normal and expected with this type of IUD. I don't even have to think about it. EVER. Except in 5 years.