Weight lifting routine

Hi All,

Looking for some help, I have a good cardio routine at the gym but i'm looking for a good weightlighting routine to follow. You know, chest, abs, shoulders, back, arms, legs, etc. I find some books to be overwhelming with the number of available exercises. I'm open for finding a trainer also at my local gym, how does one choose a good trainer.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg.

Often times when it comes to weightlifting people get too caught up with making sure they target every muscle group with isolation exercises. If you're just starting to lift weights you should build a strong foundation by focusing on mainly compound exercises including Bench press, squat, dead lift, pullups, overhead press, power cleans, etc. I would say have 4 days a week where you practice the form on some of these exercises. Focus on form and use low weight because you don't want to injure yourself. Progressively work up to higher weight and you will be amazed at some of the size and strength gains you receive.

• Like 2
futuregopher
Hi All,

Looking for some help, I have a good cardio routine at the gym but i'm looking for a good weightlighting routine to follow. You know, chest, abs, shoulders, back, arms, legs, etc. I find some books to be overwhelming with the number of available exercises. I'm open for finding a trainer also at my local gym, how does one choose a good trainer.

Thanks,

Greg

What are you trying to look like? Are you going after the powerlifter build vs the bodybuilder build/sprinter build vs long distance runner build?

Hi All,

Thanks,

Greg

Your best bet is to make the effort and understand what you are doing rather than rely on someone else. It's not rocket science, I promise you.

Jennifer2012

The idea of doing cardio and weights separately is totally antiquated--especially those isolated muscle exercises. The body doesn't move using just one muscle at a time. So why would you train it like that? I agree with shotputter that you should be doing compound exercises--things like the squat, deadlifts, cleans, etc. BUT you need to have someone train you on those because they are very technical--really the best way to get in shape though.

I highly recommend checking out a crossfit box near you and seeing if you like it. There's no other way I'd ever work out than crossfit now.

As a beginning lifter, I'd recommend either the "Starting Strength" or something like "Strong lifts 5x5".

These are very simple, easy to learn workouts that you just do 3 times a week, for about 45 minutes.

It focuses on compound lifts and is exactly what you need when starting.

Lastly, don't do: http://www.miscupload.com/upload/201908178327439749132927.gif

• Like 2
As a beginning lifter, I'd recommend either the "Starting Strength" or something like "Strong lifts 5x5".

These are very simple, easy to learn workouts that you just do 3 times a week, for about 45 minutes.

It focuses on compound lifts and is exactly what you need when starting.

Lastly, don't do: http://www.miscupload.com/upload/201908178327439749132927.gif

Agreed.

Strong lifts 5x5 is sort of what I'm doing and it works very well