Is running like weight lifting?

communityFan

I have recently started a running regimen because I want to be in better cadio shape.

As a lifter I know the importance of giving your muscles time to rest so they can rebuild.

Does the same thing hold true for running? Yesterday i ran for 16 minutes and today my calves are sore. Is this muscle breakdown just like lifting? Do I need to rest? If so how many days? Can I just go out running again or will it be detrimental to improving my endurance?

You need to have frequent rest days when you're just starting as they're muscles you haven't used in this way before so your body needs to adapt.

Don't go running if you're sore.

Your muscles will get used to it over time and eventually you'll be able to run every day if you want.

• Like 1

Running and weight lifting are like apples and oranges. If you want to give your muscles a rest, rest them. Weight lifting typically causes hypertrophy (provided the correct nutrition is applied) and running the opposite. If you want to run but spare your muscles, perform HIIT training.

• Like 1

It depends on how much you run and how intensively. If you always wish to keep to about 75-80% of your maximum heart rate at least, for 30 minutes for example, you shouldn't really run more than 3-4 times a week unless you are training for something specific. If you just jog, you can do that every day.

To avoid sore muscles make sure you stretch properly and that your speed is slow initially to warm up

• Like 1
Forever Learning
You need to have frequent rest days when you're just starting as they're muscles you haven't used in this way before so your body needs to adapt.

Don't go running if you're sore.

Your muscles will get used to it over time and eventually you'll be able to run every day if you want.

Makes sense. Also my knees are not as tough as they used to be, so I try to stick to walking and running on a grassy baseball/soccer field behind my house, the grass helps alot in cushioning the impact which my knees appreciate.