Distance vs speed on treadmill for improved lung function

Hi

What would you say is the best way to build Lung function on a treadmill?

Should I go for short bursts that really get me out of breath, or longer sets at slower pace?

If you're trying to build overall lung capacity, my experience is that longer sprints (100m +) are the best. Long distance running at low intensity isn't going to help you as much, in my opinion.

I also think that running outside or on a track is superior to treadmill running.

Just my $.02.

• Like 1
If you're trying to build overall lung capacity, my experience is that longer sprints (100m +) are the best. Long distance running at low intensity isn't going to help you as much, in my opinion.

I also think that running outside or on a track is superior to treadmill running.

Just my $.02.

Agree on the sprints. My non-expert opinion is that distance running is a useless activity unless you are training specifically to compete in distance running.

how about walking?

Walking is great; it's not going to do a whole lot to build your peak lung capacity or overall conditioning though...

If people had a decent diet (no processed food, lots of fruits & vegetables) and walked a few miles every day, we could wipe out most of the world's heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

Your heart is a muscle, so like any other muscle, you need to push it in order to make it stronger. But exactly how to do that depends on (1) your current fitness/training level and (2) what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe you could tell us a little more?

• Author

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Basically I have low lung function due to spine problems so looking to increase their function. ATM I get out of breath very easily.

Suppose the idea is to run fast to get out of breath, recover for a few mins and then repeat and so improve the muscle of the lungs.

That make scientific sense?

Ok, from someone more experienced in this perhaps: you should approach this in two ways. One is to build some endurance and put some miles in your legs to cope with running better and to make you stronger, the other is to help your body to process oxygen better. ESPECIALLY as you are starting from a relatively weak point.

For the first month you should aim for running for 20-40 minutes at a comfortable pace, if you have a heart rate monitor, after a couple of weeks try to get to about 70% of your maximum heart rate for those 20-40 minutes. Doing this 3 times a week would be great.

After a month you can start interval training: now you can run for at least 30 minutes at around 70% of your maximum heart rate, keep this up about once a week.

Start 7 minute intervals at around 80% of your maximum heart rate with a 2 and 1/2 minute walk in between, first time maybe only reapeat 3 times. Do this twice in the first week, in the second week reduce your 2 and 1/2 minute break to 2 minutes. Then each time to run again, increase the number of times you do the intervals to 4 then to 5 times. Once you can run 7 minute intervals 5 times with a 2 minute walk in between, increase the interval to 8 minutes. then after a couple of weeks, reduce the 2 and 1/2 minutes to 2 minutes

Keep up the 20-40 minute (ideally about 30 minutes) run once a week still at 70% of your maximum heart rate and after about a month of this interval training, introduce sprinting.

You start with 5 x 60 second sprints as fast as you can with 1 minute intervals while you are walking. You will be knackered I can guarantee it but this is called VO2 max training and it is an excellent way to increase your lung capacity. By this time you should have the endurance and basic strength to push through with this.

Increase to 6 x 60 second sprints while reducing interval to 50 seconds. Then reducing it to 40 seconds.

You need to combine fast and slow running. If you start running fast straight away with weaker lungs and legs you probably won't keep up the activity because you don't have the basics covered.

Whether you run outside or inside should depend on whether you can avoid running on concrete outside and what shoes you are wearing. There is nothing wrong with starting on the treadmill.

• Like 1

http://www.pdevportal.co.uk/pdf/executive_health_posters/Royal_Navy_-_PED_Packs_lowres.pdf

I'm not suggesting that you should join the Royal Navy :) but their suggested cardio training programme down at the bottom (called 12 week training programme) explains the basics. It's much more intense than you need as it's based around 5 days a week rather than 3 but it explains the principles of building strength and speed I thought.

haribogumsnickers

Emelia, you must be a Paula Radcliffe running 2:20 marathons. Btw, excellent advice. Start slow by building a good base.

Emelia, you must be a Paula Radcliffe running 2:20 marathons. Btw, excellent advice. Start slow by building a good base.

haha thanks. I box and I'm training to join the police so I need endurance as well as speed.

haribogumsnickers
haha thanks. I box and I'm training to join the police so I need endurance as well as speed.

Holy ****...you're my new found heroine. Good luck! I prefer endurance over speed but they both need each other. Long distance running is me. Boxing would be a nice cross training day in my week though.