A good firm plan...what is the BEST?

Basically speaking....what would be a good meal plan one could follow if:

1) You're a diabetic but, aren't really strict on yourself regarding treatment.

2) You HATE cold cut-up vegetables & don't like a lot of other vegetables heated. You tend to only eat like corn, potatoes, carrots, peas, string beans, brown beans & they're heated.

3) You HATE sliced fruit except if it's in a pie, cake, ice cream.

4) You LOVE pasta, rice, potatoes, bad starches.

5) You LOVE cakes, cookies, pie, yogurt, ice cream & any kind of snacks.

6) You HATE certain meats but, eat a lot of ground beef, chicken, turkey, bacon, sausage.

Can someone write out a step-by-step plan detailing each meal w/ the guidelines incorporated above? I would really appreciate this. I am trying to assist someone who needs help.

Thank you!!

No, nobody can write that kind of diet for you or anyone else. Being diabetic changes the rules. You need to treat it, period, and you need to respect and understand the condition.

Anyone who claims they know of a diabetic-friendly diet plan that incorporates cakes, pies, and lots of starches is probably trying to sell you something.

• Like 1
  • Author
No, nobody can write that kind of diet for you or anyone else. Being diabetic changes the rules. You need to treat it, period, and you need to respect and understand the condition.

Anyone who claims they know of a diabetic-friendly diet plan that incorporates cakes, pies, and lots of starches is probably trying to sell you something.

I know & see what you mean.

I am just trying to find a plan based upon what details I wrote b/c that person is exactly what I wrote & is looking for a plan that has those details in it.

Umm...you've pretty much described everyone. Who wouldn't prefer a cupcake over an apple? It comes down to the choices you make.

Learn to like foods that are good for you. Seriously. Make yourself do it. The foods you like have addictive properties that target certain areas of the brain and release endorphins. They are like drugs and you are addicted, so of course you like these foods. Everyone would love these foods if they ate them regularly. Food isn't only about pleasure; it's about health. Think about what you're putting in your body, not about how the food makes you feel emotionally. Healthy food will make you feel better physically. You need to force yourself to eat foods you don't like. Eating some broccoli isn't going to kill you.

My whole life has been about me forcing myself to eat healthy foods until I genuinely enjoyed them. I'm Southern so I grew up eating unhealthy food, and my mother couldn't cook, so we ate a lot of processed food on top of that.

I wasn't born liking plain Greek yogurt, raw veggies, or unsweetened tea and coffee, but I love them now. You have to start making smart choices. Forget what you like. Retrain your tastebuds and your brain.

I've done a sugar detox before and after a week or two, those desserts will not be appealing.

With proper diet, you may be able to reverse your diabetes (or your friend could).

Edited by iris219
  • Like 2

2) You HATE cold cut-up vegetables & don't like a lot of other vegetables heated. You tend to only eat like corn, potatoes, carrots, peas, string beans, brown beans & they're heated.

Cook them fresh? Why would you heat up anything ever?

Then eat 'non-sliced' fruit? This bit sounds neurotic

Exercise self control?

6) You HATE certain meats but, eat a lot of ground beef, chicken, turkey, bacon, sausage.

Don't eat processed meat.

Can someone write out a step-by-step plan detailing each meal w/ the guidelines incorporated above? I would really appreciate this. I am trying to assist someone who needs help.

Thank you!!

Don't be lazy, do the research and do it yourself. Learn to cook too

• Like 1
Basically speaking....what would be a good meal plan one could follow if:

1) You're a diabetic but, aren't really strict on yourself regarding treatment.

Um... this list explains why the person is diabetic!

Your friend, or whoever it is, is going to have make a decision: Is it more important to eat healthfully to treat the diabetes (lean meats, healthy fats, lots of veggies) or would s/he prefer to eat crap (the list above) and get progressively sicker.

I can't think of a single healthful eating plan that will regularly include cakes, cookies, pie and ice cream while eschewing fruits and vegetables.

• Like 1
Forever Learning

I suggest you tell your friend to try Weight Watchers. They are supportive and very diabetic friendly in their meal plans. He/she could even do it online, but going in person to the weekly group meetings is usually more effective.

• Author

Hi,

If anyone is interested:

My thread was for someone else but, I'll write to relate my experiences too.

Yesterday, I printed out some forms & did a complete inventory in my pantry, freezer & other areas of my kitchen. So, now I know exactly where I stand.

However, the next "problem" I'm having is actually 2.

1) I do not want to get rid of all of my food that is bad b/c that's $ out the window but, should I & should I donate it & buy fresh? Or, should I use up what food I have & just portion it out? I have snacks, cakes, cookies that could go. Some yogurts, ice cream too.

2) I have a problem w/meal planning for myself really. I don't have time for breakfast really b/c my work shift begins @ 6:00 AM. By lunch, I'm ravenous. Dinner, I usually just throw something in the microwave or have pasta. I know that's crap. However, I am the only one home too b/c, my roommate is on nightshifts so, I don't cook big anymore, if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

If anyone is interested:

My thread was for someone else but, I'll write to relate my experiences too.

Yesterday, I printed out some forms & did a complete inventory in my pantry, freezer & other areas of my kitchen. So, now I know exactly where I stand.

However, the next "problem" I'm having is actually 2.

1) I do not want to get rid of all of my food that is bad b/c that's $ out the window but, should I & should I donate it & buy fresh? Or, should I use up what food I have & just portion it out? I have snacks, cakes, cookies that could go. Some yogurts, ice cream too.

2) I have a problem w/meal planning for myself really. I don't have time for breakfast really b/c my work shift begins @ 6:00 AM. By lunch, I'm ravenous. Dinner, I usually just throw something in the microwave or have pasta. I know that's crap. However, I am the only one home too b/c, my roommate is on nightshifts so, I don't cook big anymore, if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions?

Dedicate an hour or two of your free time to cooking large batches of lower calorie, higher protein, high vegetable content meals that you can partition out into tupperware for use throughout the week.

• Like 1
RiverRunning

I know the American Heart Association has a lot of diabetic-friendly cookbooks (I have a few). They generally have pizza recipes adjusted for diabetic lifestyles, cakes/pastries/pies, but the fact is nobody can just eat that all day long. If nothing else, diets like that are going to be high in calories, and diabetics do need to manage their weight, generally (going to guess this is a Type 2 case).

I prefer berries when it comes to fruits. I'll dip carrots, celery, broccoli in hummus. This person will need to check labels: generally, diabetics shouldn't be consuming more than 75g carbohydrates at any one meal.

Start switching over to brown and whole grains - brown rice instead of white, whole wheat bread instead of white.

spooky, for breakfast, start keeping around containers of say, Greek yogurt (the high protein count will stave off hunger), an ounce of nuts, pack some cheese cubes and take an apple, etc. The combination of fat+fiber+protein in many of these options will keep you feeling full for a while.

I'm a vegetarian, but here are some of my favorite 'quick' meals:

I buy falafel mix (generally in world foods aisles at the supermarket). Mix it with a little water, cook it. Wrap it up in a pita with some hummus and spinach. That's a 5 - 10 minute dinner.

I also like making spaghetti squash marinara. Buy a spaghetti squash, slice it in half, poke some holes into its shell, and bake it face-down for about 45 minutes at 350. Pull it out, twist a fork into it to get it to shred like spaghetti, and put that into your bowl. Top with marinara, parmesan, etc. Sometimes, I'll slice up zucchini and boil that for a few minutes to put into the spaghetti squash. It's really only about 5 - 10 minutes of actual work...then I kick back for the night.

portabello sandwiches are great too. A tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, some minced garlic, basil, and oregano, then add in your mushroom gills-up. Let it simmer on the stove (or on the grill) for about 5 minutes or so. Eat it as is (sometimes, I'll melt cheese onto it) or put it onto a bun like a burger. Bam.

• Like 1