This Friday I have an appt for an Occiptal Nerve Block. I have pressure in the back of my head from time to time that drives me insane. I assume this shot is for migraines/headaches though?

Anyone ever had this procedure or know anyone that has? Every time I'm @ my nuerology appt I get afraid to ask questions because, quote "You are abnormally anxious about this procedure", says my neurologist. So, now i don't feel comfortable asking questions...

FWIW, a doctor should welcome pertinent questions, like those answered in the FAQ, from a patient. A doctor who would minimize or classify such questions as 'abnormal' in any fashion should be fired. It's OK to fire a doctor who doesn't meet your needs as a patient.

• Author
I've had one. It doesn't hurt at all. What's weird is that it sounds kind of like popping bubble wrap as it's being injected.

The 2 injection points may be slightly sore afterwards, but that goes away. The injections themselves do not hurt.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me, but I was being treated for chronic migraines.

Don't be scared! Neurologists do them all the time. My neurologist probably does 100 a week.

I'm worried about it making the pressure in the back of my head worse! I get headaches & migraines, but that isn't the purpose of the shot. So, did you notice ANY odd/different feelings in your head? Or was it like you got a shot and then felt fine the next day?

I have had them a few times, the last time was probably 3 years ago. Like jthorne said they don't hurt, I also had them done by a neurologist who did them frequently. As the FAQ said if you have any soreness following the injections use ice the day of the injections to help with the soreness and take it easy the rest of the day. Hope it helps relieve the pressure.

Have you seen a chiropractor? Perhaps it's just pressure on a nerve in your neck that could be easily fixed. Have you had xrays?