Disciplining oneself to exercise consistently?

I have had immense problem with this. I've not even managed to stick to my 3 hours/week exercise plan. And I'm on holiday, even.

I think part of the reason is that I have a one-track mind. I don't get how people can focus on so many 'beneficial' activities/obligations at one time: Kids, husband, career, exercise, picking up new skills, etc - I'd go bananas. Currently, I am doing the majority of the household maintenance/arrangements/errands/chores for myself and the bf, which are quite time-consuming because we just moved into a new place some time ago. This is only fair because he pays the majority of the rent, and he also works 60+ hours a week.

So, besides that, I planned to allocate the rest of my 'planned holiday work-time' to exercising and studying in preparation for my graduate course. I have, for good reason, placed studying as priority - meaning if I absolutely have to choose to do one, I will study instead of exercise.

The net result is that I have spent almost all of my 'work quota' studying. I have as of yet done 10 pushups and jogged for 20 minutes the past week. Or do you folks not consider exercising as 'work'? Well, I do, and I don't know how to change that. I hate it with a passion, even though I know it's good for me. Put simply, I would rather study for an hour than exercise for 30 minutes. I just dislike feeling breathless and sweaty and tired.

The good part is, I have covered a significant portion of the studying that I'd planned to do. The bad part is, I haven't lost a single bit of the 10 lbs that I'd planned to lose. I know that if I don't do it now, I definitely won't once University starts.

I would probably be more motivated if I was actually medically overweight. At least, I hope I would...

How many pushups a day do I need to do to build muscles anyway?

Or do you folks not consider exercising as 'work'? Well, I do, and I don't know how to change that. I hate it with a passion, even though I know it's good for me. Put simply, I would rather study for an hour than exercise for 30 minutes. I just dislike feeling breathless and sweaty and tired.

Maybe you need to find a form of exercise which is more enjoyable than what you're doing now. I go to a gym because it's convenient, cheap and open late, but I find it pretty boring - the feeling I have afterwards makes up for it, though. If I had a more structured life right now and a bit more cash, I'd probably do more dance classes, tai chi/yoga, down hill skiing and longer walks in nature. I know you've said elsewhere that you have budgetary restrictions on your work outs at the moment, but it might be worth considering in the long term perspective.

You might find that starting uni actually gives you more energy to exercise. The more stuff we have to do, the more we get done, IME. There'd probably be subsidized health facilities as well.

• Author

I like taking walks (and hiking when I get the chance), but that's about it really. And those don't do nearly as much as real workouts for equal time spent... and I don't like them enough to do so very much of them that they can compare. I currently brisk walk about a mile a day to do all the stuff that I have to do.

It's true that if I had something convenient like weights I could lift while waiting for stuff to cook in the kitchen, etc, it might help.

As for doing it when I start Uni, err, heh. Doesn't really work for me, not with my one-track mind. I probably exercised thirty minutes in all of my four-year undergrad course.

Edited by Elswyth

Being consistent with a workout requires a diligent work ethic. Just apply the same mentality as you would a job or homework - It doesn't matter if I don't feel like doing it, it just has to get done.

A few years back, I lost 64 pounds playing dance dance revolution. Cheap, one time payment, but I found it fun and addictive. Plus, I could make a fool out of myself in the comfort of my own home.

As denise said, however, it seems the busier your schedule the more you do get done. When I'm on break I don't hit the gym at all but when I'm working or in class, I go atleast 3 times a week. Trust me, fighting that urge of resisting working out will pay off so much when you one day look in that mirror and have that perfect body you've always wanted. Not to mention I'm sure your bf will be even more gaga about you ;). Work it, Jane Fonda!

For you, it sounds like a change of mind set is going to be necessary for starters, since you said you hate to workout!

I think part of the reason is that I have a one-track mind. I don't get how people can focus on so many 'beneficial' activities/obligations at one time: Kids, husband, career, exercise, picking up new skills, etc - I'd go bananas.
I am sometimes in awe of how people fit so much into their time / lives, too. And it's true, "when you want to get something done, give it to a busy person" ... some people have incredible time management skills, they are somewhat innate and/or developed from having a busy life.

I'd say consistency is going to be your main asset and "friend" if you are committed to an exercise program. A time of day, the day(s) of the week that suit your schedule, and making it sacred time.

I am a fitness nut, and exercise as an integral part of my life, just like brushing my teeth or eating oatmeal for breakfast. :) But I love to exercise ... mmmmm.

The satisfaction that comes from exercise builds. It's cumulative. If you think of it as an accomplishment, rather than a punishment :rolleyes:, you will feel great every time you do it. You will also feel great b/c your endorphins will get going and that promotes sound mental health and a feeling of well being.

I love the idea of testing out different forms of exercise. There are loads of options. I belong to a fitness club b/c I live in a cold climate and can't take the cold to be outdoors all winter. But if you like speed walking, why not try it early in the morning to get your day going? Or ride a bike. Or swimming. Or ... I think you need to open your options up, and that will help.

What are your goals? What do you want to accomplish? I think "getting and feeling fit" is where you should start. I don't know if you want to lose weight, but don't make that your primary concern. Get fit. Maybe see a personal trainer for a one-time visit to get advice and a program going for yourself.

I hate it with a passion, even though I know it's good for me. Put simply, I would rather study for an hour than exercise for 30 minutes. I just dislike feeling breathless and sweaty and tired.
If you connect exercise to feeling breathless, sweaty and tired, then it's your mind set that needs to change! The more you get into shape, the more you will love to get sweaty and challenge yourself. And after you work out, the "tired" part is a good feeling, b/c you've worked hard. Then you clean up, and you feel great. That part is the icing.

I would probably be more motivated if I was actually medically overweight. At least, I hope I would...

No, this isn't true at all. Many overweight people have ingrained habits and are embarrassed about their weight ... so it's very hard for them.

Your weight does not make you "fit", if you know what I mean. There are lots of slender people out there that can't lift a 5 lb. weight or last more than 10 minutes in a cardio class. You need to make exercise a priority, not an option, change your mind set, get into a consistent program that you like, and set goals that are realistic. Don't set goals that will make you feel like you are failing, set goals that will make you succeed. Perhaps start with 30 minute regimens, 3xtimes a week. Put it into your schedule. Keep a log. I agree with others that say once you stick to your program, you will see the benefits and be very proud of yourself. Best of luck! :)

Edited by Graceful

I have also had this problem, and over the last year have put exercise at the bottom of my priority list and put studying for my PhD candidacy exam on top. I have found myself 10 lb heavier, and many times have felt very low on energy (and have had to drink lots of coke or energy drinks to keep myself going).

So before the New Year, I've decided to put more emphasis on "healthy living". I've tried exercising last year but found being out of shape to be a real impediment to getting myself going. But what's really helped has been getting EA Sports Active for the Kinnect. It helps because it's easy to get started with, taught me new exercises I didn't think about, keeps track of exercise, you can make an exercise schedule, do it all at home, and besides it's really fun and a relatively inexpensive investment. I am now looking forward to exercising, I'm even raring to go to the gym (which I was definitely not wanting to do before), and most importantly feel like I have so much more energy without having to crutch on energy drinks.

What Denise is saying is spot on... you need to have a different attitude to exercising, you need to do it regularly, and you need to have fun with it. But it's hard to do a mental shift at the snap of the finger, so it's important to find a support to get you there (a group of friends, an internet forum, a game, something that will help you get motivated).

It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, but for me the drive to get going comes a lot from the positive effects of exercise. So while the exercise itself is relatively boring atm (for reasons explained above), the fact that I notice such a big difference between the periods when I work out 3x/week and those when I don't is a really strong motivational force. It only takes a couple of weeks of going regularly before I really start noticing a difference.

Honorable_Venerable
I am a fitness nut, and exercise as an integral part of my life, just like brushing my teeth or eating oatmeal for breakfast. :) But I love to exercise ... mmmmm.

Hence, describing a dislike of exercise is something you are incapable of understanding (like you telling a person who dislikes exercise that it's wonderful). The frame of reference isn't there, like explaining colour to someone without colour vision.

The satisfaction that comes from exercise builds. It's cumulative. If you think of it as an accomplishment, rather than a punishment :rolleyes:, you will feel great every time you do it. You will also feel great b/c your endorphins will get going and that promotes sound mental health and a feeling of well being.

You have to be able accept delayed gratification for exercise to be worthwhile - by delayed I mean MONTHS and MONTHS, not just a few weeks. As for endorphins - whether you get an endorphin rush is largely down to luck. Some research posits that 60% of exercisers never experience it, even at high intensity. For most people the nearest you get is the pain stops, which ain't the same thing!

If you connect exercise to feeling breathless, sweaty and tired, then it's your mind set that needs to change! The more you get into shape, the more you will love to get sweaty and challenge yourself. And after you work out, the "tired" part is a good feeling, b/c you've worked hard. Then you clean up, and you feel great. That part is the icing.

The reason people associate exercise with sweat, shortness of breath and tiredness is that those things are innately, inextricably linked to exercise! It's like saying "detach yourself from the fact that paying your bills involves you parting with your money, and bask in the warm glow of your financial prudence". You have to accept that exercise, in the act and immediate aftermath makes you feel like total cr*p. When you're so so knackered that dragging yourself to the toilet feels like all you can manage, the payoff will seem worthless - like after you pay your mortgage bill and see 30% of your wages vanish in one go. But there is a payoff, in the long run. Just don't let anyone tell you it doesn't hurt - a lot.