I want to have energy and feel good again!!

I don't know what the deal is, but these days I just really feel BLAH! Every day I feel bad. When I was in high school, I got up at 6:30am every morning, spent all day at school, all afternoon at cheerleading or tennis practice and then stayed up until about 11:00pm and did that day after day and still felt good all the time unless I was sick or something.

But now, I feel like I can't ever get enough sleep...I feel worn out all the time and i feel like I don't have enough energy. I just don't know what is wrong with me!

Last time I went to the MD, he said it's probably just because I stay so busy with school and work and what not, and he said I looked perfectly healthy, but I am not anymore busy these days than I was in high school. How come I could go and go all day in high school and feel fine and now always feel tired?

That was only 2 years ago!! Anyone know what might be causing me to not feel good?

Thanks!!!!!

You could easily be suffering from clinical depression. That will take energy away from you faster than anything else. You could also be suffering from stress. Staying up until very late at night doesn't help. You need to get ample rest. Do you get any aerobic exercise? Losing excess weight will go a very long way to giving you more zip. There is an excellent supplement that makes most people who take it feel like a new person within just a few days. It's called Matol KM. Put that in your search engine and you can read all about it. It's a liquid that you can put in juice and it will realy perk you up. Be sure to eat good food in reasonable quantities....don't overdo it.

There are just so many things that can cause a person to have low energy levels and to be morose. You might also want to schedule in some fun things to do, away from school, home and computer, to take your mind off the world. If all else fails, see an internist and get a complete physical. Check to see if you have an iron deficiency...or other vitamin and mineral deficiencies. These should show up in a complete serology and other bloodwork. A person of your age should have boundless energy.

he said I looked perfectly healthy

Oh, there's a great doctor for you. You look fine so you're fine. Hell's bells, my mom had cancer and looked fine right up until the last few months. Your doc should have done some basic tests to rule out common conditions like anemia, thyroid conditions, and diabetes. Start with him - or get yourself a new doctor and then get some tests.

I still can have a full day and not want to hit the sack until midnight or later and it's been a while since I was a teenager.

• Author
Oh, there's a great doctor for you. You look fine so you're fine. Hell's bells, my mom had cancer and looked fine right up until the last few months. Your doc should have done some basic tests to rule out common conditions like anemia, thyroid conditions, and diabetes.

I didn't mean he just looked me up and down and said "well, you're fine!". He did do a blood test, and everything came back normal. He said it might just be from my busy schedule that I am feeling tired.

You could easily be suffering from clinical depression.

I don't really think so Tony. I don't have anything to be depressed about right now. My life is headed in the direction I want it to go, I just got married and am very happy with my life right now. So I don't think I am depressed.

Do you get any aerobic exercise?

Well, I get plenty of excersise at work, but other than that, not much...I am just so tired when I get off, I don't really feel like it.

Losing excess weight will go a very long way to giving you more zip.

I am working on that.

Check to see if you have an iron deficiency...or other vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

My mom said that might be the reason..but when my bloodwork came back, it was all fine.

So I don't know....

try a multi vitamin as well as vitamin b. i got through fits of tiredness and lack of energy and that usually snaps me out of it.

You say you aren't depressed but you wrote in your original post: "I don't know what the deal is, but these days I just really feel BLAH! Every day I feel bad." That's exactly how people who are depressed can feel. You may think you are happy but still be clinically depressed. I'm not saying you are but that is a possibility you can't rule out. You can't rule out any of the possibilities people have outlined here. Everyone must be explored by you and your doctor until you feel better. You are way too young to be feeling BLAH and bad every day. And don't rule out the possibility that you want to be pregnant so bad you could be feeling some of the symptoms without being pregnant...or better yet....maybe you are!!!

How long have you been feeling this way? What was your life situation before this started?

• Author

Well, Tony...If I were pregnant, that would be a good reason that I am tired, but I highly doubt it. My hubby is too smart to let that happen right now!

My life situation before I starte feeling tired? Hmmm....well, I guess I have been feeling this way for about 2-3 months now. After we got back from out Honeymoon, I started working night shift in a nursing home. I had to work 11pm-7am and I was totally not used to that, and I always felt worn out and tired when I was working there! So I quit, because it was making me miserable. It was about 3 weeks before I got my job at Ruby Tuesdays, so I had all that time to catch up on my rest and get my sleeping pattern back to normal. But even then I felt tired a lot..and I wouldn't get sleepy until really late and then would want to sleep so long and wake up still feeling tired.

Now that I work at Ruby's, the most hours at one time I work in like 6...but I do work pretty hard, we stay busy all the time. I think I get enough sleep, but I still feel tired.

My husbands bed is really crappy....do you think that might be it? It's not very comfortable...it's really firm and I am used to a soft bed. Maybe that could be it.

Maybe a mulitvitamin would do me some good. I don't eat just a whole lot of veggies.

Thanks for the advice everyone.....keep responding if you wish!! I would like to hear other's opinions!!

YOU WRITE: "After we got back from out Honeymoon, I started working night shift in a nursing home. I had to work 11pm-7am and I was totally not used to that, and I always felt worn out and tired when I was working there!"

That time could have very easily thrown your body clock out of sync, at least for a while. We work off of what is called circadian rhythm (you can read more about it here----> http://sleepdisorders.about.com/library/weekly/aa030199.htm). Scroll down to read about how shift working can disrupt your sleep patterns and your body in major ways. Getting into a dramatically different sleep schedule than you have been on most of your life can throw your body into turmoil and that's probaby what happened when you were working the midnight shift. Even a short event such as a long trip overseas (jet lag) can cause your body to take days or weeks to recover. Read the above web page and see what you think.

Many people are able to handle the midnight shift, others cannot. Many firemen have heart attacks primarilly due to their schedules of working 24 hours straight and the having 48 hours off. Getting up multiple times in the middle of the night and all day to handle emergency fire and rescue calls is NOT what the body was built for.

YOU ALSO WRITE: "My husbands bed is really crappy....do you think that might be it? It's not very comfortable..."

You bet that can be the problem. Sleeping on a matress that's not right for you can definitely affect the quality of your sleep. If you have insurance, go to a sleep clinic and get checked out.

If it's a body rhythm thing, it could take a good while for you to recover but to do so you will require excellent quality sleep on a matress that agrees with you.

I pray you will get feeling better soon. I have gone through periods like this and they aren't fun.

• Author

Thanks a lot, Tony. I am going to work on getting us a new bed as soon as I can. My bed at my dad's house was so comfortable and soft, and my hubby's bed is just real firm and uncomfortbable. I've never liked it much. I bought an egg crate thing for it, but that only goes so far.

Maybe I'll eventually get back to normal! I am sure I will when I start back to school full-time, because then I will HAVE to go to bed early and get up early...so that should get me back into a routine.

Again, thanks for the help.

until you get a new bed, try:

- sleeping upside down (i.e. switch your feet and head locations)

- drinking a glass of milk or buttermilk right before going to sleep

- putting an extra thick soft blanket under yourself

- making sure the room temperature is good in your bedroom (i.e. cool)

Also, make sure you get anough fresh air & eat well. Vitamins is a great idea!

good luck!

-yes

I find that I am always run down and blah everyday even when I was in high school just like you. WEll, I really think that maybe if you go to the gym and get plenty of rest you will be good to go. But I understand where you comming from. I wish I was like you and have had good days where I was not feeling blah, but that is not the case for me. That is why, the gym will help you out.

Sure going to the doctor can too I guess, but what I find is they tell you that your depressed and then give you a list of pills that you should consider taking. That is what has happened with me. It seems like if you are having a bad day, it is depression, or if you have a bad anything it is always depression. I really don't think that is true. And going to the doctors I would say is kinda pointless unless you are really sick or whatever it may be. Just take some time to go to the gym maybe 4 days a week leaving 3 days to yourself. That is what I plan on doing. SCrew the doctors, like I need to hear about being depressed. Good luck to you and take care.