So after losing a 3 year relationship I'm starting to feel better especially now that I'm motivated to develop my "6 pack".

Anyone have any advice, so far I have been doing anywhere fom 50-100 situps a day but i broken them down into sections morning and night. I also started to lift weights so far so good. But anyone with abs or close to it have an advice on what else I should do to speed up the process?

Thanks

Crunches will develop your muscles... but if you have a high fat percentage you will never see " abs". Do you know your fat percentages at this time?

Anybody is capable of developing muscles just in order to have " abs" they have to be visible under a very thin layer of fat. So you have to get your body fat down to about 12%-15%

Diet is 95% of the solution...the other 5% is based on your workout regimen...doing just ab exercises won't do it...it's a combination of high intensity exercise, cardio, and weight training...

It's a slow gradual process...

PM me if you'd like.

• Author

I don't know my fat percentage, how can i Figure that out without going to the gym or something?

Also USM whats a good diet plan to start out with? I'm really determine =] You tell me a good work out plan and diet, especially one you personally used.

Sit Ups and Crunches never worked for me . I didnt actually see my ab muscles with any definition until I switched to leg lifts and variations of those.

cardio kickboxing did it for me. I was going 2-3 nights a week for an hour each night for a whole year and I love it! I have never been in this good of shape from gym, and I was faithfully at the gym at 5am 3 times a week before I started this class. Its really a lot of fun!

I don't know my fat percentage, how can i Figure that out without going to the gym or something?

Also USM whats a good diet plan to start out with? I'm really determine =] You tell me a good work out plan and diet, especially one you personally used.

I wouldn't worry too much about your exact body fat % right now...if you don't see your abs, then just recognize that your body fat is higher than you want...numbers are just that...numbers...

There are countless diet and workout plans out there...there's online resources, books, and videos that you can use...the important thing is to stick with a program...

I don't use a particular program...just years of experience...every day at the gym I pretty much just wing it and do what I feel like doing...at this stage, it's more maintenance for me...I am satisfied with where I am in terms of mass and the such...I also don't use a specific diet program...again, just years of habit...eating "good" food...and avoiding the "bad" foods...

If you don't have access to a gym, I would recommend the "Guide to Navy Seal Fitness [or Marine Corps, Special Forces, Air Force Elite, etc.]" books...the workouts are tailored to body weight types of exercises which don't require weights or gym facilities...they also include sections on nutrition...

Remember, just because you want to see your abs, don't neglect the rest of your body...you need to have balance...workout and strengthen everything...to be honest, I hardly ever do ab exercises...I might do them once every 2 or 3 weeks...because I hate them...:laugh:

As mentioned by bella, those gym classes are also good, as long as you attend them regularly and constantly challenge yourself each time...if it gets too easy, ask the instructor if there are ways to increase difficulty...

• Author

haha alright I understand, so far I have avoided stuff like sodas, I'm drinking water and green tea on a regular basis, I feel that Im eating fine now I just need to work out, do I need to run? Or could i just do the regular weight lifting and sit ups in order to be where i want?

deux ex machina
haha alright I understand, so far I have avoided stuff like sodas, I'm drinking water and green tea on a regular basis, I feel that Im eating fine now I just need to work out, do I need to run? Or could i just do the regular weight lifting and sit ups in order to be where i want?

Cardio will help, and is an important component of overall strength and fitness - but diet is key when it comes to having visible abs.

Rule of thumb is if you are male, your body fat will have to be in the single digits to really see them.

• Author

Would running on a treadmill be a good cardio workout, im thinking about adding it to my workouts of weight lifting and sit ups and diet. Whats the proper length of time of running on treadmill? A mile or 2 etc?

Rule of thumb is if you are male, your body fat will have to be in the single digits to really see them.

Meh...I wouldn't go so far as to say rule of thumb, but it will certainly vary amongst individuals based on a number of factors...it will often depend on where your body likes to store fat...or how well developed your abs are (the bigger your abdominal muscle, the more easily it should show)

A more realistic figure is < 12-13%...for an average person...but if you're talking about the guys in the fitness magazines, then yes, single digit body fat %...and lots of vitamin S...:D

Would running on a treadmill be a good cardio workout, im thinking about adding it to my workouts of weight lifting and sit ups and diet. Whats the proper length of time of running on treadmill? A mile or 2 etc?

I would need more information about you, your current workouts, and your goals...cardio can be both good and bad, depending on your goals...

• Author

Only thing I have been doing is lifting weights in the afternoon and night or monrings depending if I dont have class in the mornings. But I wanna run on the thread mill everyday in the afternoon for like 10-15 mins. I'm averaging about 100 sit ups a day now and i weigh about 135, 5'6.

abs are built in the kitchen.

I got a killer stomach when I ate clean and just lifted. I never really did any ab work

lord alfred douglas

I have this question too

Im back to doing cardio for forty minutes at night (about to go across the street to the treamill just now)

Im a guy first of all so thats relevant

At what point should I do ab work

Im thinking I should just eat clean and do cardio until I get around 10 percent bodyfat and then throw in some crunches and try to get down to about 7 or 8 percent from there

I guess my question is is that the right approach?

Ive worked my abs before in conjunction with running but have never gotten much beyond a two to four pack... but Ive rarely paid much attention to carbs and I used to drink alcohol...I paid attention to fat, but not to carbs...

So Im thinking a low carb diet (not atkins though) in addition to no red meat or cheese and running three miles a day/5-6 times a week may get me there, but Im not sure

I have this question too

Im back to doing cardio for forty minutes at night (about to go across the street to the treamill just now)

Im a guy first of all so thats relevant

At what point should I do ab work

Im thinking I should just eat clean and do cardio until I get around 10 percent bodyfat and then throw in some crunches and try to get down to about 7 or 8 percent from there

I guess my question is is that the right approach?

Ive worked my abs before in conjunction with running but have never gotten much beyond a two to four pack... but Ive rarely paid much attention to carbs and I used to drink alcohol...I paid attention to fat, but not to carbs...

So Im thinking a low carb diet (not atkins though) in addition to no red meat or cheese and running three miles a day/5-6 times a week may get me there, but Im not sure

Just doing cardio won't get you there...I see a lot of people at the gym who only run on the treadmill...and that's all they do every night...and then they wonder why they don't see any results...you have to incorporate some sort of weight training element into your workouts...I have a pretty good idea of how you want your abs to look, and no one will get that look just running...

Just look at those marathon runners...most are very frail looking, as their primary training is running with very little or no weight training...although they may have very low body fat, I'm positive that you're not trying to look like that...

There's no "right" time to start doing ab work or weight training...the right time is now...you don't need to reach a certain body fat level to start lifting or doing ab exercises...

Speaking of body fat, 10% is already pretty low...it seems a lot of people underestimate their body fat...they think they have lower body fat than they actually do...maintaining a 7-8% body fat is very difficult and almost unhealthy...your body really does need more fat than that...you might drop down to 6-8% for a bodybuilding competition or the such, but no one really should be at that level all the time...

And fad diets are silly. You want balance...

So after losing a 3 year relationship I'm starting to feel better especially now that I'm motivated to develop my "6 pack".

Anyone have any advice, so far I have been doing anywhere fom 50-100 situps a day but i broken them down into sections morning and night. I also started to lift weights so far so good. But anyone with abs or close to it have an advice on what else I should do to speed up the process?

Thanks

Cardio dude. CARDIO. Throw away your beer. Don't take away my man card for saying that. Ok, lower your intake of beer.

Cardio is very important for burning fat.

As far as your crunches. Any muscle grows thru tearing (not injury tears) and stress this is what we are actually doing to our muscles when we work out. This makes them grow.

You need to mix up ANY muscle group workout. If you do the same excerises over and over, your muscles will get used to this and not respond as well. It's like a rubberband. You keep stretching it the same way every time, you get the same results.

Join a gym that have trainers. I change my workout regiment EVERY 6 WEEKS faithfully. Yes, I am working the same muscle groups but in a different way. Try this and give it 8 weeks and you will be surprised if you do it right.

Good luck and go for it dude.

lord alfred douglas
Just doing cardio won't get you there...I see a lot of people at the gym who only run on the treadmill...and that's all they do every night...and then they wonder why they don't see any results...you have to incorporate some sort of weight training element into your workouts...I have a pretty good idea of how you want your abs to look, and no one will get that look just running...

Just look at those marathon runners...most are very frail looking, as their primary training is running with very little or no weight training...although they may have very low body fat, I'm positive that you're not trying to look like that...

There's no "right" time to start doing ab work or weight training...the right time is now...you don't need to reach a certain body fat level to start lifting or doing ab exercises...

Speaking of body fat, 10% is already pretty low...it seems a lot of people underestimate their body fat...they think they have lower body fat than they actually do...maintaining a 7-8% body fat is very difficult and almost unhealthy...your body really does need more fat than that...you might drop down to 6-8% for a bodybuilding competition or the such, but no one really should be at that level all the time...

And fad diets are silly. You want balance...

Im 5'8 155lbs

I'm guessing my body fat is at 12-14 percent...some weeks it may drop down around 12 percent when Im really busy or sick and lose a few pounds

Im thinking to get below 10 percent Ill have to drop at least ten pounds which sounds skinny but skinny is fine if youre fit

I was reading that a lot of guys have to go below 8 percent while working the abs 2-3 times a week to develop a well defined six pack and then maintain below ten percent to keep a fit abdominal

Most sites also seem to stress cardio and diet a lot more than resistance training

Im 5'8 155lbs

I'm guessing my body fat is at 12-14 percent...some weeks it may drop down around 12 percent when Im really busy or sick and lose a few pounds

Im thinking to get below 10 percent Ill have to drop at least ten pounds which sounds skinny but skinny is fine if youre fit

I was reading that a lot of guys have to go below 8 percent while working the abs 2-3 times a week to develop a well defined six pack and then maintain below ten percent to keep a fit abdominal

Most sites also seem to stress cardio and diet a lot more than resistance training

Diet is very important. Read up on this. I eat lot's of fish and veggies. Halibit and Mahi-Mahi are my favs. Salmon smoked on a cedar plank on the grill. Chicken. I love steak on the grill along with beef tacos, my weakness. You do have to remember calories in vs. calories out and the types of calories you are ingesting.

Dude, total body workout, do it. Try it for 8 weeks. The only thing you have to loose is inches and pounds.

My body fat percentage checked 2 weeks ago. 6%. I'm 6 feet and weight 185-190.

I just finished the workout regiment that the Nebraska football players go thru. Did this for 6 weeks. It totally kicked my A, especially the first 2 weeks.

deux ex machina
Im 5'8 155lbs

Your height/weight is good. I think you can see yourself objectively.

Yes, the sites stress cardio and diet more because generally, it's really a decision a person has to make: do you want to strip fat OR build muscle? Physiologically, doing both is well...hard.

If I were you I'd consider doing some light calesthenics to keep up, but concentrate on cardio and getting the diet where you want it to be.

I'm going to get crucified for this, but I have to say it...I really hope you do not do a low-carb diet. My personal belief is they are muscle-wasting.

I'm going to get crucified for this, but I have to say it...I really hope you do not do a low-carb diet. My personal belief is they are muscle-wasting.

Quoted for truth. It will hurt you in the long run.

• Author

So far so good, have been eating fruits, chicken, rice, drinking water

I also have been running as well as lifting weights, Ive seen that my muscles in my arms have gotten a bit bigger but I can SEE the difference and im not stopping.

BTW I'm still tempted to eat a cholcate cookie or doritos or something of that nature like atleast 1 time a day or something.

How bad is that or is it ok?

BTW can I still keep drinking arizon green tea ( I love it) but havent dranked it in a couple of days, all i have been drinking is water..lol