wanting to put on size, are protein shakes worth it? i seem to sit at 10 stone forever. i just can increase my weight size to then build my body more. its very frustrating. i work out at least 3 times a week. i know ive got stronger, but size wise im pretty much the same

not seeing results? you are either not working out hard enough or you are working out too hard without enough time to recover your torn up muscles. to get big you have to eat a LOT. and lift really heavy. Don't take many breaks either at the gym and remember to change ur workout so ur body doesnt adapt to it.

Protien is extremely important during weight training. Al the things said previously are correct but I must emphasize that you do not gain in the gym you gain during your rest periods so give yourself ample rest. Diet is also important. there are many diets out there that can help you achieve whatever results you are looking for assuming your genetics will allow for it.

Google types of protien. some are faster acting post workout formulas and some are slower digesting thus being better during your rest periods. You can also google protien intake per pound. You need so much per pound of bodyweight. Remember though,you can get your days supply of protien through diet, supplements are just that...suplements

So....

1.a good solid workout program thats consistant in its intent but allows for variety

2. Diet. protien intake, balanced,low in saturated fats. Enough good calories to support your program so that your body can re build after tearing down in the gym

3. plenty of good quality rest between workouts.

Im whats known as a hard gainer but Ive been patient.Ive been working out for about a year+ but serious about my diet for only about 6-7 months. Ive lost two waist sizes but I have gained 11 pounds.

Work hard and consistant and youll see results.

Speaking from personal experience, I would avoid it at all costs. Generally what people use in gyms to build muscle mass while working out to cut fat is they take something called 'Whey protein'. It's taken before, during and after workouts...apparently it's the only known protein type on the market that's absorbed the quickest for the body.

Unfortunately, it's a milk extract..which is pretty disgusting if you ask me. As a supplement, overdose of it is known to cause liver damage.

seriously just eat alot, hell even eat entire things of ice cream if you have too. I'm a big fan of eating a crap load then taking a break and toning up. Its like two steps foward one step back

This thread title reminds me of 50 First Dates when Dan Akroyd tells Drew Barrymore's brother to lay off the juice.

"It's not juice it's a protein thake"

• 2 weeks later...
youngandhopeful

It sounds like you need to mix up your workout and start eating alot more calories to feed you muscle. I tried to bulk up, but didn't eat nearly enough, therefore i didnt put on much size. However if you get a substantial amount of protein (around 1.5grams per kg of your body weight) then you should see some results.

Here is a link to the mens health forum where there are tons of different workouts depending on what you looking for. Hope this helps:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/chatroom/topic/316849

This thread title reminds me of 50 First Dates when Dan Akroyd tells Drew Barrymore's brother to lay off the juice.

"It's not juice it's a protein thake"

haha, same thing kind of happened to me. I was drinking a protein shake and my mom is like, "is that steroids?!" all conspiratorially and concerned. i just laughed and told her it was protein and showed her the bottle. well she didnt believe me, and when i went for my physical, she email my doctor and demanded that he make me get blood work done to test my lipids.

the funny part is is that i was on a cycle at the time. she didn't know but thought i was cuz of protein.

in any case, protein cant hurt you, bro. yes, liver damage is a possibility like the other person said, but what he didn't say is that it will only cause liver issues in ridiculously, and i mean absurdly high levels. generally, for gaining weight and muscle, you should take two gram of protein for each pound that you weigh each day. so if you weigh 150 lbs, you need 300 grams each day. the avg. weight protein can have up to 60 grams in a scoop. liver damage occurs at like literally 100s of times these levels and that only over prolonged spans of time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an added note. Monkey00 in addition to saying it can cause liver damage (anything in massive amounts will hurt your liver, alcohol, aspirin, water) is also wrong about when you take it. Protein is used to help repair the tissue and is best taken after a workout. I take mine 30 mins after I work out and I use a simple GNC whey protein. I also eat cottage cheese at night before bed. You're basically suppose to file your diet with protein through out the day. I really don't do that so much, and I've gotten good results.