What is wrong with his tongue?

Okay so my boyfriend wanted me to ask for help. Under his tongue he has like a flag of skin i guess u can say that just kinda showed up. He says it is painful.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

Ill try to provide more info if needed.

How large? Is it on the floor of the mouth under the tongue, or on the underside of the tongue itself?

There is a class of thing called generally "mucus retention cysts", which include mucoceles, ranulas and maybe some others... They happen when a salivary gland gets blocked or traumatized, and mucus collects in the soft tissues without being able to escape normally. It's not an immediate danger, but depending on where it is and how big, etc. it may not be something that will resolve by itself. So there's no good reason to wait to have it looked at.

Note that I am not a doctor, and this is just one possibility (and I may be remembering some of the details wrong), and there are certainly other possibilities, so you should NOT let any advice you get here delay seeking treatment. It's unusual, it's causing pain... just go get it looked at. Whatever it is, waiting is certainly not going to make it easier to treat...